• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lycanthropy - Effects on PC's

SubDude

Explorer
I'm drafting up a document to give to effected PC's. I've actually got a wereboar in one campaign and a weretiger in another -- and they're sisters IRL, too. Here's my current draft for the weretiger PC. What am I missing / what do I just have flat wrong? Thank you all in advance for your assistance!

======

So, I’m a Weretiger – Now What?
You have been bitten and infected with LYCANTHROPY – the Weretiger version. Here’s what this means to you. First, the general information.
Curse of Lycanthropy. A humanoid creature can be afflicted with the curse of lycanthropy after being wounded by a lycanthrope, or if one or both of its parents are lycanthropes. A remove curse spell can rid an afflicted lycanthrope of the curse, but a natural born lycanthrope can be freed of the curse only with a wish.
A lycanthrope can either resist its curse or embrace it. By resisting the curse, a lycanthrope retains its normal alignment and personality while in humanoid form. It lives its life as it always has, burying deep the bestial urges raging inside it. However, when the full moon rises, the curse becomes too strong to resist, transforming individual into its beast form – or into a horrible hybrid form the combines animal and humanoid traits. When the moon wanes, the beast within can be controlled once again. Especially if the cursed creature is unaware of its condition, it might not remember the events of its transformation, though those memories often haunt a lycanthrope as bloody dreams.
Some individuals see little point in fighting the curse and accept what they are. With time and experience, they learn to master their shapechanging ability and can assume beast form or hybrid form at will. Most lycanthropes that embrace their bestial natures succumb to bloodlust, becoming evil, opportunistic creatures that prey on the weak.
Weretigers that embrace their curse have their alignment shift to neutral, and may or may not totally controlled by the DM until the curse of lycanthropy is removed.
In general, weretigers are ferocious hunters and warriors with a haughty and fastidious nature. They are lithe and sleekly muscular as well as meticulously groomed. They prefer to fight in their more refined humanoid form when they can. They don’t like to pass on their curse, because every new weretiger means competition for territory and prey.

Player Characters as Weretigers
· Strength becomes 17 if not higher already. (Maintain notation of original Strength in case the curse is ever removed. _____)
· Attack and Damage rolls are based on Strength.
· For the Pounce trait, the DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + Strength modifier.
· Proficient with Stealth, Expertise at Perception.
· Darkvision 60’.
· Immune to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons that aren’t silvered.
· Speed is 40 ft in tiger form.
· Shapechanger. You can use your action to polymorph into a tiger-humanoid hybrid, or into a tiger, or back into your true humanoid form. Your statistics (other than size) are the same in each form. Any equipment you’re wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. You revert to your true form if you die. You cannot speak while in animal form.
· Keen Hearing and Smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
· Pounce (tiger or hybrid Form Only). If you move at least 15 feet straight toward a creature and then hit it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The DC for this saving throw is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. [_____] If you knock the target prone, you can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.
· Actions (in addition to your otherwise available actions).
o Multiattack (humanoid or hybrid forms only). When you take the attack action: In humanoid form you make two weapon attacks. In hybrid form, you can either act as a humanoid above or make two claw attacks.
o Bite (tiger or hybrid forms only). Melee Weapon Attack: + ** to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d10 + Strength modifier) [1d10 + _____ ] piercing damage. If target is humanoid, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be cursed with weretiger lycanthropy. The DC for this saving throw is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. [_____].
o Claw (tiger or hybrid forms only). Melee Weapon Attack: + ** to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + Strength modifier) [1d8 + _____ ] slashing damage.
o ** Attack bonus for Bite/Claw = proficiency bonus + Strength modifier [_____].

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Seems like its all there. We could argue that neither gets Multi-attack in humanoid form as both Werebear and Weretiger suggest their multi-attack involves the use of a tool (weapon) - Wereboar, where only one attack can be a tusk (though we could argue the other is an unarmed strike) and the Weretiger states it uses scimitars and longbow during its Multi-attack. This is rather a pedantic reading of the rules but to be honest, do they really need any extra bonuses with their 'curse'? Personally I think not but hey, tables differ.

Just be careful - as written the drawbacks of the 'curse' of lycanthropy are very minor, especially for the Weretiger*. Considering the stat boost and immunities alone, the character can become very powerful. Obviously this will impact each table to a lesser or greater degree.

Unless there's a reason you wish to play it differently, characters probably shouldn't want to stay infected and should seek a cure. Even those that embrace the 'curse' run the risk of starting an epidemic, thanks to them being able to spread the curse. And other infected may react differently (....and if ye lore be true/the DM wants to run with it, perhaps hunt down the character, the one who infected them to break the curse! Or at least complain, loudly and often....)

While the Wereboar character, should they wish to embrace the curse and gain the option of shifting at will becomes Neutral Evil. At tables where alignments are not represented this can become a non-issue, especially if the character was already/is already what we might call Neutral Evil. The Weretiger becomes.... Neutral. Oh noes!

Last edited:

SubDude

Explorer
I originally gave a lot of thought to just removing the multi attack altogether. Still might, based on your additional comments.

Since the lycanthropy can only (per the stat block, at any rate) spread the curse by a bite attack, I'm not overly worried about an epidemic, per se; though regardless the local citizenry may just not want a weretiger living in their midst.

Remove ads