• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[M&M 2e] Red Sands Chronicles. (OOC)

Shayuri

First Post
lol...I'm pretty sure that'd damage the Beast too. It's not really meant for that kind of stunt. :) Though it'd be cool.

It doesnt have any weapons that fire on ballistic arcs either (that is, artillery-style weapons). It's got a minigun and an anti-infantry fletchette gun, and a laser. They're meant for direct fire.

Also...Deezy heard beeping on the radio? Gah, did I just miss that, or did you not mention it before? Blargh, knowing me I just blipped over it.

Oh well...

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Except for the the beeps that occurred as the sensors were tripped, they pretty much were buried in the "anomalous radio signals" she heard while scanning for the raider's communications.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
You are correct Jkason since you can see it with infravision you can target it.
Your call of course, but then I have to ask: just why does anybody pay the 4 ranks needed to get actual x-ray vision?

RL infravision doesn't let you see through walls either, by the way (or even just canvas). That's just TV and movie fiction. (Not to say Brian can't have powers that simulate "infrared fiction", but I would think he'd then have to pay for them with actual power points).

EDIT= or a Power stunt, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

In my mind the two are quite disctinct: infrared, the power, allows you to see heat (which RL logic will tell you does not travel through solid objects at anywhere near the speed needed for sight; a guard would need to be leaning against that wall for *hours* before his heat penetrated to the other side to any significant degree (walls are in fact usually built specifically to block heat transfers has much as possible)); x-ray, the power, allows you to see through solid objects. If you want to see heat THROUGH solid objects, you need to buy both (with *maybe* a Limited on the X-ray if you really only want to see heat).

I think part of the problem comes from the names themselves, which have RL meanings that shouldn't be confused with their in-game effects. Read the descriptions on p.103 and 104. They are, I think, quite clear on what each allows you to do, but YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'll update tonight after work. Yesterday my things were hectic at the family restaurant (the entire down town area had a power outage because of a mylar baloon and my family's restaurant was the first restaurant located north of the blackout area). As a result I ended up leaving the place at 11pm (we closed at 930!!) and prompty fell asleep at my computer.

But yeah, the whole infravision issue is a wierd one due to their being so many version of it. Luckily saying he was using was a power stunt works well and is less confusing. But then.. wouldn't that cause trouble if it was part of an array with his temp powers*?

*I once had to rewrite a character I played in a game because of that reason.

-Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Well, we could go for sort of a middle ground if you want: say that in the Red Sands universe, Infravision allows you to see heat through (un-insulated? Non-metallic?) barriers, but only as vague (time-delayed?) blobs. If you want more (details, real-time data, targetting, etc) you need either X-ray vision or a power stunt... What do you think? Makes sense? Not too unbalancing?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Well, we could go for sort of a middle ground if you want: say that in the Red Sands universe, Infravision allows you to see heat through (un-insulated? Non-metallic?) barriers, but only as vague (time-delayed?) blobs. If you want more (details, real-time data, targetting, etc) you need either X-ray vision or a power stunt... What do you think? Makes sense? Not too unbalancing?

Hmmm... You know... that will work for this reason:

Utimate Power said:
X-Ray Vision (4 ranks): You can see through solid objects as if they weren’t there (such objects provide no concealment to you). You have to define one reasonably common sub-
stance you can’t see through, such as lead, gold, iron, wood, or such. A subject with no concealment relative to you cannot use Stealth to hide from you without a feat like Hide in Plain Sight or an effect like Concealment. X-Ray Vision may be Limited to particular substances (natural earth, for example), reducing cost to 2 ranks. It is a commonly associated effect of the Permeate ability of Super-Movement, allowing you to see where you’re going as you pass through a solid object. Vision Penetrates Concealment.
Ultimate Power said:
Penetrates Concealment (4 ranks): A sense with this trait is unaffected by concealment from obstacles (but not effects like Concealment, Illusion, or Obscure). So vision that Penetrates Concealment can see right through opaque objects, for example, and hearing that Penetrates Concealment is unaffected by sound-proofing or muffling materials, and so forth.
Emphasis mine.

So, here is an infravision array/container...

Infravision Array: Infravision (1 ranks); Infravision Penetrates Concealment (4 ranks; Extras: Linked [Infravision, +0], Flaws: Limited [un-insoluated / non-metalic barriers, -2 ranks])
Cost = 3 pp (3 ranks).

This basically allows him to use both infravision and to see through some walls using infravision (as a free action). However, it's too expensive at the moment (since the character is already made and has 1 rank [1pp] worth of a sensory array). LUCKILY, the suggestion of modifying the action time does come into effect and could reduce the cost of the power...

Infravision Array: Infravision (1 ranks), Infravision Penetrates Concealment (4 ranks; Extras: Linked [Infravision], Flaws: Limited [non-insulated / non-metalic barriers, -2 ranks], Action[Free->Standard, -2])
Cost = 1 pp (3 ranks @ 3:1pp*.).

So what does this do?
- Infravision as a free action.
- This version allows the character to see through non-insulated, non-metalic barriers as a standard action. This means that to use this power and attack in one round, you would need to use extra effort.

Changing the penetrate concealment aspect of the power's action to move would cause the power to cost 2pp (3 ranks + 1 unused @ 2:1pp). Since there would be 1 pp left over, it be used to gain tracking or some other effect.

This would allow Brian to see through the walls (as a move action) then attack (standard action) each round. However, unfortunately, Brian doesn't have the pp to do this yet.

* I don't think I gave a limit on the ranks : pp ratio :eek: but it usually defaults to 5:1.. so it's all good.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
I'm fine with whatever ruling you want to make on the Infravision, honestly. I've pretty much just been going with whatever Relique tells me when I say "brian looks for heat signatures."

Dunno if it has any bearing on the discussion, but "Infravision" in general was a sort of closest-power scenario. In my head, Brian isn't seeing heat with mutated eyes; rather, his psionic abilities allow him to sense heat fluctuations. I justified calling what it is by allowing that his mind is instinctively 'translating' that psionically-gleaned information into a visual analogue. I sort of assumed the 'through walls' aspect was because of the psionic aspect.

In any case, I can re-stat Brian if you want, no worries. Probably won't be today. Head cold + work load = my brain does no good maths right now. :p

Binder Fred

Relique, I think you inverted Seif's and Sahid's position in the Initiative Sblock.

Voda, Good move but I think Deezy and Brian are next before we get to have another go. i.e. we're in grey in the initiative order. :)

Everyone: I'll be off to a convention next week starting sunday, so expect slower (and hopefully more inhibriated) posting. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads