• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[M&M] Proposal for a new style of play.

Rybaer

First Post
M&M - Daisy chain format solo gaming.

This idea came to me kinda out of the blue. Basically, it'll incorporate 3-4 player/GM's. Each participant will play one character and GM for another. ie - Player A gm's for B, B gm's for C, C gm's for D, and D gm's for A.

The supers genre is fairly well suited for solo games, and this would afford the opportunity to get some good character development. It also allows all participants to play - which I know we all want more opportunities to actually play cool characters. ;) Everyone, in turn, is equally responsible for contributing to the shared world by GM'ing for another solo player.

Yes - shared world. I'd like the participants to all set the game in the same general area, even if the characters don't (or rarely) interact with one another. We could all build upon one another's groups, settings, and NPC's...much in the same manner as shared world novels (Dragonlance, Wild Cards, Star Wars...and most comics, I suppose).

Because of the nature of this, any dropout would have a more severe impact on the game - dropping both a character and a storyline for another. Therefore, it'd probably work best with ENWorlders who have a proven track record for running lasting games. For this reason, I propose restricting recruitment to those who currently (or have recently) run at least one game on the messageboards (preferably M&M) that has been up for 6+ months.

I'll be up front in admitting that I'm not a daily poster, though I typically browse the boards daily. I'm thinking of about a 3/week rate, though this is probably flexible within each story.

Any thoughts? Interest? Feedback? Priority for recruitment will probably go on a first-come, first-served basis for those who meet the proposed criteria above.

Last edited:

Calinon

First Post
I had to read it a few times, but it definitely sounds interesting. What world, what style of player, what PL, etcetera... :)

Rybaer

First Post
Calinon said:
I had to read it a few times, but it definitely sounds interesting. What world, what style of player, what PL, etcetera... :)

Yeah, it's a different enough idea that conveying in words was a little awkward.

As for the world, PL, etc, I was kinda leaving that open to discussion among the participants. I imagine that something set in a relatively "normal", modern world would ultimately be the easiest to pull off. I'd even considered doing something in the world of the Incredibles, just for kicks.

There's nothing to say that all the characters have to fall into the same PL or even style of play. If someone wanted to play a PL12 hero of the city while another wanted to play a grittier, PL7 vigilante in the seedier side of town, I don't see why we couldn't accomodate that.

Is there any particular style/setting/PL you'd prefer to see?

Maerdwyn

First Post
This sounds interesting to me - I unfortunately have no experience playing M&M, although I own the book, so I'd like to join if I can be one f the later members of the chain. THat ould give me some time to really learn the system well enough to GM it later on.

I've been running a t20 game for a year and a half now, details in my sig if you want to see a sample.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I've got some interest in this as well. Just to clarify, this would be 3 to 4 gm's in a single thread each gming another's 'player' in a superhero world.

Sort of a Marvel Tales or a SuperHero Unlmited type of thing.

I think this could be a lot of fun, so long as everyone is open-minded and willing to go with the flow.

As for posting speed, I'm on about everyday (less on weekends), and usually post about 3-4 times a week (depending on the pace of the game).

As for GMing, I've got my SG-1 game that was long running but died from too many important drops, and Outcasts forever thats been running for a while (running slow right now).

Keia

Maerdwyn

First Post
oh -duh- concurrent games makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking :heh: I probably need to wait then, as I really don't know the game well enough to GM it yet.

Rybaer

First Post
Yeah, I know my description was a bit difficult to interpret...that's what happens when writing really late at night. So yes, each player runs a solo game for one of the other players. The person you gm for cannot gm for you.

Keia - you have any preference as for the type of game/setting you'd like to see?

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Setting - no not really. I'm having fun messing with the Marvel universe in my game (and there's a lot of source material out there), and I'm not as familiar with the DC universe (though again - a lot of source material). I've got a lot of the Freedom City stuff. I loved the Aberrant storyline from white wolf (hated the system). Or, we can just original world it, with each gm submitting information to the world.

Even a WildCard's type of setting might be cool. That's sort of the Aberrant start and similar to your Curtain game as well.

I like a little more grit in my M&M setting wise, but I still want the heroes to be superheroic - if that makes sense.

To summarize: Any core universe is fine. Pretty open for me.

Keia

Mavnn

First Post
I love this idea, although I'd have to think if I had the time - and I definately haven't run a game for 6 months on ENWorld (I have run a fair length solo play by email game, however, which ran for three months and was stopped by my wedding prep...).

I'd just like to point out that I don't think that people dropping out would be as disruptive as some people are saying. After all, if someone does drop out, you're left with a GM looking for a game to run, and a player without a GM. In effect, you just shorten the chain slightly.

I think that you'd almost have more of a problem adding new players, as you'd want to find both a potential GM and player at the same time when you wanted to join in. Although I suppose that there's no reason to limit people to having to both play and GM all the time.

On the universe side of things, I would say leave things vague - start with 'modern day, superhumans have been around for a while' and let things build from there. It gives GM's much more freedom in tone than if you have a setting with a 'metaplot' (Aberrant) or an existing expected feel (Wild Cards).

Rybaer

First Post
I'm leaning toward the "original" universe rather than adopting an existing one...mostly because I'm just not that well versed in comic lore. I'm vaguely familiar with the most well known heroes, but only by way of televisions and movies. Adopting the "feel" of an existing universe might work, though.

Now, the question of established supers world...or exploring from a common event...is an interesting choice to make.

Remove ads