M&M: What types of heroes are in your games?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
The Mormodillo: Half-man, Half Armadillo wielding magical Mormon holy relics

The Arc Angel: Seraphim angel with the power ot control Lightning

The Cosmic Commissar Unrepentant Soviet-Era Communist hero with Magnetic powersand spaceflight.

Kronos: the Monarch Exiled King of a lost civilization of Sentient Gorillas. Their noble caste has Superpowers. He is a speedster.

Tephra: An utterly inhuman mindset in the body of a magical Volcano elemental.

The Bionic Ninja: Cyborged Ninja from a dimension where Feudal Japan dominates the world.

Drowbane

First Post
Last M&M Party... pre-2e

Army of One: a Powersuit type with Duplication. (the player of this had two Variants for this idea: 1) Ghost Recon: the main Hero is the survivor of some nasty battle... he is haunted by the Ghosts of his squad... each Duplicate is a ghost with slightly different powers. 2) Rainbow Six: Don't ask, don't tell. :p)

Nightshade: Shadow manipulating ninja-type. Is the social face of the party.

Primordial: an Ooze that can shift into and steal stats and powers of anything it touches.

Shadowfang: Picture nightcrawler as a werewolf.

Last edited:

Jim Hague

First Post
philreed said:
Just so you know, Superline #4 is going to include a Mastermind's Manual preview article -- and the Gadget power is in there.

For that matter another preview, the Probability Control power, is in the Archetype Archive 1 PDF that will be released in the next few days.

Hoohah! Sold! I've been digging on Tomorrow's Headlines, so this is a no-brainer for me. And thanks to the other folks whov'e dropped suggestions for AD's powers, but here's my question:

Could any of them be used to construct a Cosmic Energy cannon that neutralizes the powers of a giant Mechanaut powered by Entropic Energy and containing the clone of Centurion? Could they do it utilizing the parts found in 4 SUVs, a construction crane, a laundromat and a satellite dish? :D

DanMcS

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Hoohah! Sold! I've been digging on Tomorrow's Headlines, so this is a no-brainer for me. And thanks to the other folks whov'e dropped suggestions for AD's powers, but here's my question:

Could any of them be used to construct a Cosmic Energy cannon that neutralizes the powers of a giant Mechanaut powered by Entropic Energy and containing the clone of Centurion? Could they do it utilizing the parts found in 4 SUVs, a construction crane, a laundromat and a satellite dish? :D

Any one or all of them could. The original gadgets didn't specify where the parts for your gadget had to come from, and neither do the new gadgets powers. Really, what you're describing ("utilizing the parts found in 4 SUVs, a construction crane, a laundromat and a satellite dish") is just a special effect for the gadget creation that you and the PC agreed upon. You can do the exact same thing in 2e. MnM is effects-based, and any effect that can be created in the game can be a device just as easily. Your example sounds like bog-standard nullify to me.

Henry

Autoexreginated
You want a trainwreck? I'll give you one that was MEANT to be such - and a heck of a lot of fun, besides...

• Drunken Fist, a drunken boxer-style martial artist who actually gets super-powers the more inebriated he becomes.
  • Mr. Fix-it, a gadgeteer who is foul-mouthed, mean to the public, petty, and fixated on amping up home power tools to the NEXT LEVEL (think HEAP nail guns and subsonic-speed flying riding lawnmowers).
  • Crotch Rocket, a man with the power to metamorph into a Honda Ninja motorcycle with blaster-headlights
  • Chain Smoker - think Dennis Leary with all the 1990's attitude, in a velvet smoking jacket, with the powers of flight and flicking explosive cigarettes like Gambit flicks playing cards
  • Captain Confederate, a good old boy and physically perfect human who is a master of the art of wrasslin' and a dead-accurate shot with his Mystic shield, an irregular piece of sherman tank plating that returns to him

We were recruited when all of earth's heroes went to space to combat an alien invasion of staggering power. To date, none of the heroes have yet returned, so we're left to handle the emergencies that remain.

We've handled spectacular disasters; we've sought the elusive Lost Twinkie Formula to stop villains in their tracks (no longer effective since the formula mysteriously changed in the mid-1980's); we faced villains that defied the imagination (and laws of good taste); we battled an empowered Prince (yes, the singer) as he pushed his plans of world domination and hit singles on an unsuspecting populace; and, yes, we even had to battle one of our own, as a wicked cigarette company insidiously laced Chain smoker's cigarette supply with Red Kryptonite, turning him into a public menace before we could stop him.

That was some of the most fun I've ever had in a superhero campaign. I hope we get to pick it back up one day.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
In our ongoing Meridian City campaign, we have done three eras...

So far, for the most part, everyone has managed to understand the genres and design their characters accordingly!

Mystery Men 1938-39 (PL 8)
Citizen Arcane - Master of Mystic Might (sorcerer supreme)
Doc Terror - Atlantean Superman (all-around super stats)
Jade Dragon - Warrior of Destiny (martial artist)
Lord Peculiar - Wizard of Science (gadgeteer)
Mike "Steel" Munroe - Steel-Skinned Gumshoe (strong guy)
Mr. Lucky - Fortune's Favorite Son (luck powers)
Vallejo Joe - Singing Cowboy (with an enchanting voice)
Noah "The Beast" Winds - Enchanted Sailor (shapeshifter)

The Golden Age 1941-50 (PL 10)
Minuteman - The One Man Army (can call on the powers of past heros)
The Scarlet Bullet - Jack Starling, test pilot (armored energy projector)
The Blue Streak - The Scarlet Bullet's sidekick (dex based energy projector)
Mike "Steel" Munroe - Steel-Clad All-American Hero (brick)
Lady Justice - A Heroine for Our Times (telekinetic)
Sam Slick - Fighting Crime in the Blink of an Eye (speedster)
Tiger Tom - Savage Justice! (martial artist)

The Silver Age 1954-62 (PL 12)
Atomo - The Man From Tomorrow! (radiation control and strength)
Captain Light - the Gleaming Gladiator! (light control)
Steel - A Hero for all ages! (strength, protection and magnetic control)
The Andromedan Man - Galactic Guardian (stretching and shape-shifting powers)
Cyclone - Using the Forces of Evil Against Them! (spinning deflector)
Banshee - Mystic Siren (sonic and insubstantial powers)

Stormborn

Explorer
So, overall do most people seem to try and replicate their favorite comic book heroes (as many of those listed above seem to do) or are there alot of really unique characters in the average MM game?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Since I run (well, trying to run) a combination world of DC/Marvel/Image/Homebrew there's all sorts of characters that show up.

Out of Homebrew I have:

Revenger: Think the Punisher, but relying more on hand to hand combat and an even nastier temperament.

Cybeast: He's a Robocop-like character, only he has had full access to all his memories as soon as he went online. He doesn't suffer from RC's slowness, though.

Wild Deer: A Native American martial artist with some mystical abilities.

Boombox: A young mutant with sonic blast powers.

Ultra-Man: An aging Paragon

Power Knight: A lowly subway worker that transforms into a superhero thanks to a magical gauntlet.

Captain Muscle: Brick-type whose powers are fueled by 4 uranium bands around his wrists and ankles. (His body absorbs all the radiation, so he's no danger to others.)

James Justice: Gunslinger with amazing luck (slight probability manipulation) and impenetrable skin.

There are others, but these are the ones that have gotten the most play so far.

Remove ads