• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M2: The Search for Goblin HQ

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn: Male human cleric 2

The cleric whispers, "Thank you, Searcher." He'll climb to a position next to Rinaldo (move action; Climb +0). Then he'll try to ready his shield as he climbs (free action as part of the move action; allowed?). If he can, he'll draw his morningstar (move action; only if he readied his shield as a free action).

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
Tor continues climbing up the East wall, having to release his grip on his chain to do so. Rinaldo having slain the goblin above him, Tor manages to surmount the battlement without undue danger. However, meeting his eye as he clambers to his feet are two charging figures, a goblin and hobgoblin. (Only about 10 feet away.)

With a grin, Tor re-establishes his grip on his chain (ooc: a free action) and starts it twirling. Upon doing so, he will immediately become a threat to the two goblins, as they are allready in range of his chain. If either of the two is wounded by this point, he will attack that one. Otherwise, he strikes at the Goblin.

[Attack +4 for 2d4+4.] Edit: Including Nurlan's song.

After his swing, if both adversaries are active, he will remain in place (the corner seems a good place to avoid being flanked.) If only one remains near him, he will take a 5' step so as to begin circling the remaining one, hoping to flank it as more of his companions climb the wall.

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
On the south wall, the goblin shoots again at Tenebryn, but the shaft deflects off his faintly glimmering armor. The larger goblinoid, which several party members have now recognized as a hobgoblin, comes back up beside the goblin. His large recurved bow is drawn back. He releases his shaft at Nurlan, which strikes, tearing through his leather armor painfully. (5 hps dmg)

That's the one Nurlan will fire bolts at unless he's out of commission or until further notice.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Somac: Male Human Bbn1

If Somac can see any goblins or hobgoblins from his current position, he will fire at the weakest one. Otherwise, he will put away his bow and begin climbing up into the room.

Manzanita

First Post
Round 6

Somac continues to effective fire his shortbow, hitting for the fourth time in five attempts, striking a glancing shot on the bugbear (2 pts)

Irene completes her incantations, aimed at the end of the South wall, where a bugbear and goblin stand shooting at the party. Unfortunately, neither fall asleep. (Irene can still take a 6th round action, right?)

Ashnar raises his hand, pointing a finger at the goblin, as he's not sure the bugbear is in range. A thin blue ray emerges, barely hitting the goblin (thanks to the bless spell and Nurlan's courage), but covering him with a frosty sheen (3 pts dmg)

Tenebryn continues to struggle up the rocky slope, making little headway.

Nurlan, wincing from the pain, raises the heavy crossbow at the bugbear and releases a shaft. It flies true, burying in the beast's chest with a fountain of blood. (9 pts) The bugbear staggers back out of sight of the party.

The goblin next to it continues to fire at Tenebryn, finally hitting dead on (6 pts dmg).

On the other wall, the hobgoblin reaches Tor before he can ready his chain. The goblin could, but was carrying his bow. He drops it and pulls out a scimitar. The hobgoblin wears studded leather, and carries a heavy shield and battle axe. Tor is able to sidestep the axe blow. Gripping his chain, he strikes back at the hobgoblin, (at +5 actually w/bless and courage), but the chain bounces harmlessly off the shield.

Charlyn is able to climb up to the floor level, with Rinaldo and Irene, but this takes his whole round, so he is still unarmed.

Rinaldo takes aim at the only enemy still in sight, the goblin archer on the south wall. Breaking his streak, his bolt goes wide.

I wasn't sure how to handle Tor's chain. Why isn't it a move action to ready it? Since the goblins acted before Tor readied the chain, they were not open for a AoO. I'm not great on the rules, and appreciate your input.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 2

Charlarn will draw his morningstar (move action). If he has his shield readied already, he'll swing at the goblin adjacent to Rinaldo (standard action; Atk +2; Dmg 1d8+1). If not, he'll ready the shield (move action in place of a standard action).

Gurdjieff

First Post
[OoC: Irene still has an action yes.[/OoC]

Seeing how her magic failed her this time, Irene decides it's time to let the bolts to their work. She takes aim with her crossbow and lets a bolt fly through the sky towards the nearest enemy.

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
I wasn't sure how to handle Tor's chain. Why isn't it a move action to ready it? Since the goblins acted before Tor readied the chain, they were not open for a AoO. I'm not great on the rules, and appreciate your input.

ooc: No real problem, as I think I had an extra move action anyway. For reference though, I interpreted your statement that I "released my grip" to mean I carried the chain in one hand rather than wielding it in two. Wizards has said that placing a free hand back on a two handed weapon is a free action. I'll update this post when I have time to include a link to one of the places this is stated.

Adjacent Squares and Reach Weapons: There are some tricks you can use to threaten those adjacent squares when you're using a reach weapon. If you're a monk, your unarmed attacks continue to threaten the squares adjacent to you. Even if you're not a monk, you can use a smaller weapon to threaten the adjacent squares. You'll have to hold the reach weapon in one hand and wield the smaller weapon in the other hand. Since most reach weapons are two-handed weapons, you're only holding onto the reach weapon, not wielding it, and you don't threaten an area with it. Although the rules don't mention it, letting go of a two-handed weapon with one hand or putting a free hand back on the weapon is a free action for you. Drawing the smaller weapon requires an action, but if you have the Quick Draw feat, it's a free action. Note that you can take a free action only during your turn.

Emphasis added. From here.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
If there is still an opponent in sight that is not in hand to hand, Rinaldo will continue to reload and shoot. If they are all in melee, he will sheet his crossbow and draw his rapier and buckler to go and help his companions.

Remove ads