M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian (44/51 HP, 13 AC)

Razh, seeing the croc go for his little buddy, decides that his dwarven muscles are a match for the monster's jaws. He tries (1d20+7=8) to wrap his arms around the beast, but the crocodile evades his grasp. "Croikey! 'E's a fast one, mates!" Razh shouts in frustration.

[sblock=OOC: ]I think he also provokes an AoO from the croc by attempting to initiate a grapple. Ugh, why are there so many rolls (and rules) just to grab on to something??[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn will hold his action for now. If he sees an opening he'll grab a stick and start beating. He does not want to expend spells if his companions are not in big danger.

Manzanita

First Post
Razh tries to grab the croc, but ends up getting another bite on the arm. (12 pts dmg) Razh again manages to pull his arm out of the croc's grasp.

Ogrin smacks the distracted crocodile in the eye, and he feels the satisfying jello-like squish of a good hit. At this point the croc seems to have had enough. It jerks away only to get another precise strike from Eanos. It's momentum carries it backwards into the water, but it rolls over and moves no more, half-floating in the water.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Nicely done Razh." congratulates Tenebrynn. He'll grab some of the moss too for his own Light spell when they need it later. He'll also grab one of the sticks now and see if it could be wielded as a weapon.

rln

Explorer
"Stunned, more likely. Should we kill it? Perhaps the teeth can be used as weapons, or at least to cut down some of those roots? They looked sharp enough to me. Me knows a leatherworker in Orussus that would pay dearly for that unpunctured crocodile skin when we get back... but, alas, we have no time and no tools."

"I wonder how it came to be here. Perhaps there's an exit under the water... but I doubt we'll be able to hold our breath long enough. Anyway, it must've lived off something - perhaps previous unwilling occupants, like us, wandered in here, lured by the light. Let's see if we can find any remnants of them - or even better, their equipment."

In goblin: "Hogarth, are these kinds of beasts common around here? It seems strange to find such a creature here."

Velmont

First Post
"I don't like to kill uselessly, but I don't want to see him awake again. Eanos, can you finish him?" Rinaldo enter the water cautiously and then put his head under the water and look to see where could lead teh exit,a nd if it seems too far for them to swim out of there. At first sight of danger, Rinaldo will quickly go back in teh cave.

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

"My inclination is to kill it--or make sure it's dead if we already have--in case we have to come back through here," Eanos offers. "Hopefully this is our way out, but in the case it's not, I'd rather not face this beast again, especially given it would likely be quite in a huff after what we just put it through."

Now that there's light to see by, Eanos looks around, trying to catch sight of any previous victims of the croc or their equipment, as Ogrin suggests.

orsal

LEW Judge
"Better a dead crocodile than a live crocodile" Nurlan offers. "As for these sticks, they could be used both as clubs and, with the help of this moss, as lanterns. Why don't we give them to Ogrin and Razh, and I could also see what I can do about lighting one up."

As soon as the party is ready to leave the cavern, he'll take a piece of the moss (he's harvested a good handful, so that he can do this repeatedly), hold it in front of the stick, and drone some low tones. (Casting light spell.) The light from the moss magically transfers to the end of the stick.

Manzanita

First Post
Eanos and Rinaldo are able to enter the pond. Eanos can finish off the croc easily enough and, with difficulty, drag its carcass out of the water. The fish dart around. The party is feeling hungry, as it is afternoon and they haven't eaten since breakfast, but probably not hungry enough to eat raw crocodile or fish.

The light is not bright enough to tell how far the pond extends underwater. However, if Nurlan's light spell is brought down, or if Razh ventures in the water, the party will be able to tell that there is, in fact, an exit to the pond underwater. Where or how far this underwater tunnel extends, is unknown. The tunnel is approximately circular at the point where the party observes it, with a 5 foot diameter.

Hogarth answers Ogrin. "Crocodiles are not uncommon in the shallows and rivers around the island. I'm not aware any would live underground like this. Perhaps it was trapped here at some point."

Remove ads