• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Velmont

First Post
"The root is only 10 feet long, I doubt it will be enough, and it isn't easy to cut them. Do we take more roots and do a longer rope or do we simply try with that root." asks Rinaldo.

rln

Explorer
"The rope's too short, I guess. How about this: If it's safe, I'll come back and tell you. If it's not, I'll come back and tell you. In the meantime, count to fifty. If I'm not back before then, I may need help."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

"And eh... who'll be comin' t'get ye, mate? Ah'm strong, but Ah'm no swimmer. But o' course, if nobody else was raised by a lake or summat, Ah s'pose it'll be me that's followin' ye, mate."

Manzanita

First Post
The root is too thick to tie around him, but it can be thrust into the water and down the tunnel, and might be useful in helping someone pull his way back. It is soon completely dark in the underwater tunnel. Ogrin dives into the chilly water. It is cold, but not unbearable. As long as he is working hard, he shouldn't freeze. Kicking his legs and keeping his hands in front to keep from striking his head, the brave halfling does determine that there is a tunnel. He swims about 10 feet and returns. He needs light to move effectively, but clearly he could have kept going.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin returns after a short while. "It's a tunnel indeed. It extends further than I can see. I'll need that plank for light, if you don't mind."

Ogrin borrows the magically lit plank and tries again.

Manzanita

First Post
Comments on Swimming for everyone [sblock] I've just read the swimming section in the SRD. This is calm water. Thus Ogrin (or whomever) would need to make a swim check each round, DC 10. I would think he could 'take 10' as long as its peaceful. What do you guys think? I do think he should suffer some penalty for holding something in his hand. -2? what do you think? He can hold his breath for twice his constitution score. He has a general idea when he's 'halfway out of air.' A swimmer is seperated from the rest of the party and will be played out in sblocks. Does Ogrin plan to go until he reaches something interesting? If he reaches 'about halfway' towards drowning, will he turn back?[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Swim Rules: ]
SRD said:
1. You can’t take 10 on a Swim check in stormy water, even if you aren’t otherwise being threatened or distracted.
I would take this to indirectly imply that taking 10 on calm water, without threats or distractions, is okay.

Just as a thought, it seems awfully sudden, going from conscious to unconscious when drowning. I guess they were trying to simplify things, and a slower transition would be harder to implement. Kind of like going from 1 to -1 HP. Huge difference. Oh well, that's the d20 system, I guess. =P[/sblock]

orsal

LEW Judge
"Well, if that's the way to go, we'll have to try swimming it. As long as we don't need to fight any strange creatures while swimming -- I'd never be able to manage that." OOC: Nurlan has +3 to swim -- I forgot I picked up one rank at some point. He'll offer to take the rear, so that if any of the weaker party members has difficulty the group won't lose them.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin will be very careful while swimming, returning to report anything out of the ordinary. If he's found nothing when he's half out of breath, he returns.

Remove ads