M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Manzanita said:
Razh could get a 20 foot straight run and leap onto the boat over 10 feet and land behind the Viscount (Jump check DC 10), or he could move 50 feet and jump 5 feet (Jump check DC 10 still) to land in front of the Viscount where Hogarth leapt off. It seems if you move 30 feet, including your jump, you could still attack. You can reuse the attack rolls you had against the hobgoblins, modified for Nurlan's song.

OOC: Since Eanos is only 5' behind Razh, I assumed I could use the same DC for him. Let me know if that's not the case

Relieved that the ogre has fled, Eanos turns back to the ship, only to see yet another of his companions fall in battle. Instead of the dwarf barbarian's boiling rage, Eanos' eyes display a cold, controlled hatred. He rushes forward with a burst of speed, sailing through the air to land in front of the count as Hogarth drops back to the water. He strikes out, but the lolling of the ship on the water seems to throw him off.

[sblock=OOC]Had a brain fart. I'd already rolled an attack when I realized Eanos would have had to land where Razh is on the boat, which doesn't work at all. Eanos has plenty of movement to spare, though, so he can take the far position (though that means he can't attack):

Jump: 11[/sblock]

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock]Spells prepared (Save DC 13 + spell level, or 14+ spell level for Evocation spells; 4+1/3+1/2+1): 0 - acid splash, detect magic*, flare*|x3; 1st - Ashnar's sparkstrikex13*|, mage armor, cause fear; 2nd - protection from arrows, scorching ray x3*|
Ashnar mentally recounts which spells he can use without his component pouch. Flare, my sparkstrike, cause fear, scorching ray. Technically also acid splash and detect magic, but those'll be rather of low use.[/sblock]
Ashnar sneers at seeing Causticus still standing, and shoots his last sparkstrike at him (silently bemoaning the lack of secondary targets) (Sparkstrike damage (1d6=5)), then contemplates whether he should attempt the jump already (what's the distance?).

Manzanita

First Post
round 3 (con't)
Tenebrynn casts scorching ray at the Viscount. At this point, Causticus has cut down Nurlan and is unengaged. Tenebrynn hits, again wreathing Causticus in flame, and burning away at his black clothes.

Round 4 (con't)
Tenebrynn hits Causticus again, this time with two magic missiles. Causticus reals from this attack and almost loses his footing.

Razh and Eanos run and leap to the ship, clambering aboard or landing.

Round 5
Rinaldo moves forward, stepping over several dead bodies and stabs at the Viscount.
The Viscount, badly wounded and surrounded by three attackers, seems to realize his position has become hopeless. He withdraws, jumping backwards off the ship and landing in the water next to Hogarth.

The next moment Ashnar's sparkstrike hits him. He screams, but his voice is swallowed by water as he drifts under.

Velmont

First Post
"No! He must not escape..." [SBLOCK=Goblin]"Horgat, summon your creature if he can swim, and make him attack the Viscount. That man is too dangerous to give him a chance to flee. Then help Razh, he seems seriously wounded."[/SBLOCK] Rinaldo jump into the water, but doesn't follow yet Causticus, he only try, from undewater, to see what he is doing, staying next to teh boat in case he would need to climb back quickly.

Manzanita

First Post
The Viscount does not appear to be swimming or struggling. A thin stream of bubbles escapes from his lips as he slowly sinks, his body still.

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo raise his head over the water. [SBLOCK=Goblin]"Hogarth, can you summon an aquatic monster so he can fish back the Viscount... I think he is dead."[/SBLOCK] "I think the viscount is dead, I would need help to fish him back on the boat... but we have to be cautious... I've seen enough trap and bluff..."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian (HP: 4/59)

The viscount leaps from the boat, and Razh without even a moment's hesitation throws caution to the wind and leaps right after him. He grabs the evil man and pummels him in the head one last time. Then he starts to drag Causticus to the surface.

[sblock=OOC: ]Melee touch attack (1d20+9=12)
Opposed grapple check (1d20+9=24)
Unarmed damage (1d3+5)=6

Of course IC craps out in the middle of my rolling. So the damage roll is nonlethal, meant mostly to make sure he's unconscious, and I just assumed I got a 1. All of these rolls are probably unnecessary if the viscount is really already unconscious.

No actual movement towards the surface of the water this round, just preparation for movement.

Rage round 5/8.[/sblock]

rln

Explorer
Ogrin goes for the rudder, trying to keep the both near the pier, yelling to those still on it (Ashnar and Tenebrynn, I believe) to get on.

Manzanita

First Post
With some effort, the group is able to retrieve the Viscount's body, and guide the ship to shore. Everyone is able to board, and they can take off again, brandishing their weapons at the goblin rabble that wants aboard. The seven of them (& two dead bodies) are more than the ship is designed for, but they could fit more on if they really wanted. (Any desire to take some goblin children onboard?)

It is a fine quality ship, with the name "The Water Dragon" inscribed on the bow. Those without any sailing knowledge find it difficult to go in the direction they want. The party knows that Monemvassia and the continent are to the East, but no one knows how far North or South they should aim. Hogarth doesn't know how to sail, but is happy to expend his last curing spells on the group.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian (HP: -4/51)

Razh gets the viscount aboard with help from the others. He looks around and shouts, "Bring me mah axes, Ogrin! Where's Frump?! Where's that traitorous rat scum?!! Ah'll tear 'im t'shreds! Ah'll-" Without another word, Razh collapses to the deck, completely spent.

[sblock=OOC: ]Without his rage bonuses, Razh has -4 HP.

What about our gear? I know the spellcasters have a lot invested in their spellbooks, and Razh has more than a few gold coins invested in his masterwork combat gear.
[/sblock]

Remove ads