M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Knight Otu

First Post
Velmont said:
"IHogart tells we have Gundar's blessing to haev acheive what we have done, you tells we are pawn. I prefer to see myself as what I am, a man who wish to make this land a better place for his children."
Ashnar nods. "We weren't necessarily pawns, yes. We might have just been, as people like to say 'in the right place at the right time.' We even might have been blessed by Gundar. I don't know what the truth is. The ways of the gods can be complicated."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

Razh wakes up slowly from his unconscious state. His body is still covered with wounds, but thanks to Hogarth, the bleeding has stopped, and the resilient dwarf will live to fight another day.

By the time he recovers consciousness, the equipment has been discovered and Razh lets out a cry of joy at seeing his pair of axes again. He rips off the leather armor with a sigh of relief and over his recovered clothes slides on his perfectly-fitted, breastplate, sheathing both his axes at his sides. But as he is trying to sheathe the smaller axes, he has some difficulty. He seems to be stumbling a fair bit, as though he is drunk. Razh gets frustrated with himself and finally forces the handle of the axe into its sheath. Then he looks up to see the unmoving horizon all around him and the rocking boat rails on either side. "Oh fer the love o' the Dog..." he moans. He looks helplessly to Ogrin as he stumbles over to the edge and hangs his head over the side, limp as a sick dog.

While in his rather uncomfortable position, he listens to the party's musings. Between heaves, he manages to squeeze in a few comments of his own.

To Eanos, he says, "Ah see where ye're comin' from, Eanos, but though Ah hate t'say it, we're not in any kind o' shape t'be fightin' no dragons t'day. Ah'm beat, Nurlan's dead, by the gods. That Frump'll be miles away by nah, an' the dragon... Makes me queasy jus' thinkin' abou' that."

On all the talk about deities and divine intervention from Ashnar, "Ye think about that stuff an awful lot, mate. Mongrel's an easy-goin' fellow, an' he's served me an' Ogrin quite well. Have ye e'er considered changin' yer outlook a bit, maybe lookin' to more forgivin' higher power?" Razh glances over at Hogarth. "Not t'say the other ones aren't real, mind ye. Oh, 'e can't understand me anyhow." The sick dwarf returns his gaze to Ashnar. "Ah thought about becomin' a priest o' the Dog, would ye believe that? Aye, but me axes make more sense than all that mumbo jumbo magic stuff."

Razh has one final question. "Oi, is ol' Causty dead? Or is 'e tied up? 'Cause Ah remember beatin' 'im over the 'ead but Ah didn' hit 'im too hard."

Knight Otu

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
On all the talk about deities and divine intervention from Ashnar, "Ye think about that stuff an awful lot, mate. Mongrel's an easy-goin' fellow, an' he's served me an' Ogrin quite well. Have ye e'er considered changin' yer outlook a bit, maybe lookin' to more forgivin' higher power?" Razh glances over at Hogarth. "Not t'say the other ones aren't real, mind ye. Oh, 'e can't understand me anyhow." The sick dwarf returns his gaze to Ashnar. "Ah thought about becomin' a priest o' the Dog, would ye believe that? Aye, but me axes make more sense than all that mumbo jumbo magic stuff."
Ashnar shows a faint smile. "Most of my prayers go to Gliran and Sela, and it was a priest of Sela who brought me back. I guess my devotion to them isn't entirely unnoticed."

Erekose13

Explorer
Happy to be back in clothes having run around the island virtually naked, Tenebrynn feels much better. While he has never been at sea before he doesn't find it too hard to get his sea legs. "Perhaps we have a few tasks to cover once we are back in Monemvassia. I was thinking it might be a good idea to question our departed viscount. I wonder if we'll have enough, or if perhaps our employer might be inclined to request the services of a cleric to question him."

Manzanita

First Post
The 'Viscount' Claudius Causticus is dead. His wounds were severe, and his last breath was of water before he was dragged out.

Of a number of goblinoids in the water for various reasons, two very young goblins are pulled in by Ogrin. They call themselves Grub and Gruntal. They know nothing about sailing, and very little about anything else. They are used to being beaten and bossed around by anything bigger than themselves, and don't cause any trouble. Not yet anyway. Nor do they say 'thank you' when rescued.

Rinaldo finds several keys on the Viscount, one of which opens the final chest without much difficulty. Inside are numerous bags of coin and gems, worth a total of about 5000 gps.

The Viscount himself lost his sword in the sea, but has several other items of value. MW thieves tools, MW studded leather armor, a MW guisarme below in the boat, a MW light steel shield, and a cold iron dagger. He also wears two rings and a cloak which detect as magic.

(Correct me if I'm wrong...) Since no one has any skill at sailing, it takes awhile to get going, and it unclear which direction to take. But the party manages to steer East in a general sense, and finally find land again, a swampy jungle which looks very similar to what the party tromped through to track Causticus in the first place. Three Rings is presumably North of this. In another couple days, they find themselves at the familiar sight of Three Rings Harbor, where the adventure began for many.

The party probably wishes to continue North to Monemvassia, but if they are interested in getting Nurlan reincarnated, as opposed to raised, they should get off here to see Martin the Green, their druid friend, before continuing.

Hogarth expresses his thanks to Rinaldo for his kindness and asks the merchant if he could stay with him and provide what services he can in exchange for being cared for in this new and alien world.

In case anyone hasn't guessed, I created Hogarth to be Rinaldo's cohort. His stats follow. If you want him, Velmont, feel free to take him over as of now as an NPC. He will need to be equiped and can learn common as soon as he levels up (assuming you want to spend his scarce skill points on this!)

Hogarth Vradlik
[sblock]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Hogarth Vradlik
[B]Class:[/B] Cleric
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Lawful Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] Gundar (Earth and Law)

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2      [B]Level:[/B] 4        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B]  8 -1      [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]HP:[/B] 41 (4d8+12+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 16 +3      [B]Grapple:[/B] +5     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0/0
[B]Int:[/B]  9 -1      [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 16 +3      [B]Init:[/B] -1        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B]  8 -1      [B]ACP:[/B] -2         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +0    +0    -1    +0    +0    +0    9
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      4    +3          +7
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    -1          +0
[B]Will:[/B]                      4    +5          +9

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]

[B]Languages:[/B] Goblin, Terran.

[B]Abilities:[/B] Rebuke air creatures, Law spells @+1 level

[B]Feats:[/B] Endurance[1st level], Toughness [human bonus], Iron will[3rd level]

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 14       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 7/3.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Heal                            7    +3            +10
Profession (blacksmith)         5    +3             +8
Speak Language(Terrna)          2    

Domains:  Earth and Law.
Spells:  
[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
XXXX                     XXcp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXsp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]XXlb      [B]Money:[/B] XXgp XXsp XXcp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX

[B]Age:[/B] 40
[B]Height:[/B] 5'5"
[B]Weight:[/B] 200 lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] brown
[B]Hair:[/B] black, thick curls
[B]Skin:[/B] light brown
Appearance: Hairy, short and very broad. Barrel chested.

Background: Hogarth was raised on the island called Centrum. He has been part of a isolated culture which worships Gundar. The care for an ancient temple created eons ago. The island has an active volcano, and is considered a power source for Gundar’s worshipers. There used to be many pilgrams in ages past. About 100 years ago, a young wandering dragon decided to make Centrum her home. She was not hostile towards the cult, and they lived in peace for many years, even helping each other on occasion. Relations soured as she brought a clan of goblins to the island to serve her. These goblins became pirates, bandits and raiders and grew in number under her direction. In time the dragon grew to despise the cult, as she grew and became obsessed with her own power. This did not please Gundar, who took a personal interest in his temple.

This past year, the dragon managed to mate and lay eggs. The eggs made her paranoid, and she sent her goblins to make war on the colony. Recently these goblins have destroyed the temple. Hogarth escaped, but is not aware of any other survivors. He knows now, from an ancient prophesy, that when the temple was profaned, Gundar would invoke the volcano to destroy its attackers. He knows the island will soon be inundated with lava.

Dorian has learned to speak Goblin. Over the past century, the colony has had virtually no contact with the outside world. They speak only Terran amongst themselves.

Spontaneously casts heal spells
spells (5/3+1+1/2+1+1) create water, detect poison, light(x2), mending, summon monster I, protection from evil, endure elements, obscuring mist, magic stone(D), find traps, sound burst, soften earth and stone(D)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
During teh travel, Rinaldo occupied himself and look at what they have. He mentally make a rough sum of the treasure they have gathered.

[SBLOCK=Loot]
Gold: 5105

Medium Light Hammer of Returning: 8301 gp
Ring of Counterspelling: 4000 gp
Mithril Chain Shirt: 1100 gp
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds: 300 gp
Oil of Bless Weapon: 100 gp
Golden Necklace: 50 gp
Copper wire ring: ????
Scroll case: ????
Boat: 3000 gp
MW thieves tools: 100 gp
MW studded leather armor: 175 gp
MW guisarme: 309 gp
MW light steel shield: 159 gp
cold iron dagger: 4 gp
Ring: ????
Ring: ????
Cloak: ????
Wand of Cure Light Wounds (50 charges): 750
Total Items: 18348 + ????

Expense:
Code:
Ashnar:		pay: 5525	loan:    0
Eanos:		pay:  125	loan:    0
Nurlan:		pay:  125	loan:    0
Mordik:		pay:  125	loan:    0
Ogrin:		pay: 	0	loan: -225*
Razh:		pay:  125	loan:    0
Rinaldo:	pay:  125	loan:    0
Tennebrynn:	pay:  250	loan:  225*
Nurlan's Raise Dead: 5 450

Ashnar pay 50gp on the wand and his raise dead.
All other pay 100 gp on the wand.
Everyone pay 25 gp for two pearl for Identify cast by one of our wizard (one for now, one for later. I suspect it will be usefull).
*I inlucded the 100 gp written on Ogrin's character sheet.
[/SBLOCK]

It is not today I'll become rich. At least, I'll have another shop in Monewvassia, if we are granted what they promised us. "Three Rings... thanks Delanor." Rinaldo take a few gold pieces in his pouch and throw it at the sea. "Now, we should go to the Inn and take some rest."

[SBLOCK=OOC]We will leave Orsal decide if he prefer to be reincarnate or raise from the dead... It can do funny thing, but he will haev to live with it... also note, it won't affect your Charisma (so you'll can have a high Charisma Dwarf) and it doesn't affect your present skill and feat (keeping you human bonus feat and bonus skill you already possess, not the ones on the next level) as the spell description tells...

For Hogarth, what are his XP? Start of 4th, end of 4th? I think an easy way is, as I will surely raise in level at the next XP award, I can put Hogarth at the beginning of level 5th at that moment, as it should be the maximum level of my cohort, and from there, I will gives him standard XP.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

rln

Explorer
While on open sea, Ogrin asks one of the spellcasters to cast detect magic, and investigate the ship - including the two goblins. After all, Frump is a master of illusion...

Ogrin will also keep a more mundane eye on them. If he doesn't find anything suspicious, he'll be happy to let them go when they reach the swamp.

[SBLOCK=Treasure]
We found some items in Frumps lair which I don't remember if we sold or investigated:

105 GP
A golden necklace worth about 50 gps.
A scroll case with what appears to be a very thick piece of blank paper inside
Ring made of copper wire

We also have the wand...
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn will search the ship (and goblins) for magic. "Again our adventures prove less than profitable. In any case I believe we need to deliver this." he says kicking Causticus.

ooc: Up to Orsal on the rez vs. raise. I take it Frump's spell book is not there. aw shucks :)

Manzanita

First Post
The goblins don't radiate magic, nor does anything else on the ship. Don't forget your treasure from the first part of the adventure. A ring of counterspells, a mithril chain shirt, a +1 medium light hammer, returning, a potion of Cure moderate wounds, and oil of bless weapon.

Also, don't forget your rewards from Monemvassia should you be percieved as having succeeded. This is 500 gps for Razh and Ogrin. For the others, it is 'knighthood', which comes with control of an economic resource of your choice. This could be a vinyard, orchard, merchant ship, bar, gambling house, stable or whatever. This could be sold for about 1000 gps, or kept as a base and for income. (income still not determined, exactly.) If anyone is interested in an asset in the Monemvassia vicinity, give some thought to what you'd like.

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]We will recieve some money out of that adventure, but with the two dead, not sure we will be at our level of wealth we should be at our level...

For my reward, it is clear since the start. di Senzio's Magical Shop will open his second shop in Monemvassia. Look soon for teh next pening in your neighborhood ;)

The income could be interesting if it was coming on a regular basis. For simplicity, it could be the 1st of each month. Now, the amount is up to you...[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads