• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage Killer

warlocke

First Post
I was thinking of trying to make a character based on killing spellcasters. Kind of a mage killer. Without taking a level in Monk I would like to hear some ideas on it.
A barbarian with lightning reflexes and iron will? I have some ideas but I want to hear from the peanut gallery to maybe get some more ideas.

Ashe

First Post
I've wanted to do something similar for a long time. My concept revolved around a magic item though that was a permanent anti-magic field.

So your character has to be able to stand on his own. That is why a straight up monk is good, but I can see why you would want to play a different class.

If you have psionics being seperate from magic, you could have the anti-magic field, and have a psionic warrior or psion who despises those that harness the external energies as opposed to those that harness the internal. But that is getting more into motivations and away from concept like it sounds you are wanting.

I hope this helps.

Synicism

First Post
You might go with a Barbarian/Rogue combo as well. The barbarian's mobility, the rogue's sneak attack dice, and evasion might give you what you want.

dagger

Adventurer
You are also going to need a high initiative, you have to be able to win initiative against higher level casters.

Last edited:

apocalypstick

First Post
You might want to take a look at the Mage-Killer PrC in Magic of Faerun.

Apart from the Monk, the best anti-mage class is, IMHO, another mage. With Improved Initiative, Improved Counterspelling, and Spell Focus: Abjuration, you'll be a wizard-killin' machine.

Centaur

First Post
Look to the Darksword Trilogy for some inspiration. If your weapon can absorb magic both cast and when used on a spell caster, it could be quite the fear tactic.

warlocke

First Post
Some good ideas yes but I am not really looking for the "magic item" answer. This is more about building from a stat, skill, feat, class standpoint.

MarauderX

Explorer
Synicism said:
You might go with a Barbarian/Rogue combo as well. The barbarian's mobility, the rogue's sneak attack dice, and evasion might give you what you want.

If you aren't doing the monk, I would go with this combo. Not only that, after you do sneak attack damage there is no real way for the wizard to out run you on the ground. Stay with her and grapple her with your better strength, then pin her and split her skull with your battle axe. Rinse and repeat until the casters get your message.

I would bulk up your saves with magic items and use your feats to get mobility and combat reflexes if they want to get away from you to cast something. Oh, and pump up your tumble skill so you can get beyond the enemy front lines and hop around like a madman before hacking those robed creatins down.

hellbender

First Post
The original Arcanum rpg (Bard Games) had a class called Witchhunter that is actually a magehunter. Basically, a sorceror with skills useful to hunting down magi in a bounty hunter fashion. Fight fire with fire.

hellbender

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads