• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Arrows?

Varius

First Post
Just something that I thought up....

Now, It says in the PHB that a ranged weapon bestows its enhancement and flaming etc on the arrows when it fires. If the arrow hits the target it is destroyed, and if it misses it is sometimes lost.

Lets say the archer fires an arrow that gains flaming and +3 from the bow. The target has the Arrow catching feat, and catches the arrow. Is the arrow still enchanted, and if so for how long? Could the person fire the arrow at another target?

I didn't read that you couldn't do this, but I may have just missed it.

Crothian

First Post
I believe arrows are ony enchanted for the one shot from a magical bow. So, as soon the attack is finished, the arrow becomes normal again.

Crothian

First Post
Varius said:
What about the psionic Return Shot feat?

THe arrow is still only magical when shot. If you return the arrow to yourself and fire it from a magical bow then it becoimes magic again.

I would say it lasts from shot to the end of the round it was fired, so you still would have to shoot it with the same bow to retain the enchantment if you used the arrow the next round.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The bow does not transfer the enhancement bonus to the arrow. The archer gets a +3 to attack and damage due to the bow's enhancement, but the arrow is not +3. So a normal arrow fired by a +3 bow will not bypass damage reduction because the arrow is still a normal arrow.

The special flaming ability, however, is transferred to the arrow, so the catcher should take 1d6 fire damage.

Gromm

First Post
Since everything special about the arrow comes from the bow, it can't be "refired" and keep those properties. You catch it, and it becomes a normal arrow again (or MW or whatever it was).
Now if you were using Reverse Arrows, it would keep its abilites as best I can tell (not sure about the flaming aspect though since the spell wouldn't technically stop that).

Remove ads