• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Fist Unarmed Strikes?

Relique Hunter

Banned
Banned
Is there a ruling that allows a character to have their fists enhanted to be counted as magic weapons? I know the monk has Ki Strike, but if I wanted a non-monk build, is this possible?

Arkhandus

First Post
There's a ceremonial feat in Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved that allows that. Once you take the feat, your unarmed strikes can receive magic weapon enhancements and abilities just like a masterwork weapon could.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The Kensai class from Complete ... something or other ... can do it.

There is as a magic item in the DMG to give your unarmed attacks magic.

I think you can get a permanency cast on the Magic Fang spell.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Applying a permanent magic enhancement (like a +1 weapon) first requires that the weapon be of masterwork quality. Since there's no way to make your fists masterwork, you'll have to rely buff spells or magic items. If you are not a monk you can use a magic gauntlet, but the damage is pretty crappy.

Also, note that this type of a thread belongs in the Rules forum. And if you could please tone down that sig photo, I for one would greatly appreciate it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The feat from AU/AE is Hands as Weapons.

The Kensai is in Complete Warrior.

The Shaman from Oriental Adventures (as updated in Dragon #318) has unarmed strike ability similar to, but not quite as powerful as the PHB Monk. There are also a host of Monk variants and substitutes to consider (see http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221182 ).

Going into a Psionic base class (esp. PsyWar, Soulknife & Divine Mind) gets you access to powers & feats along those lines, as do the powers of the Kineticist PrCl. Taking a psionic race or the Wild Talent feat gets you access to the psionic feats.

jRocket

First Post
Does the Amulet of Mighty Fists make your attacks magical?

This amulet grants an enhancement bonus of +1 to +5 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
jRocket said:

This amulet grants an enhancement bonus of +1 to +5 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.
I'd say yes, same as a magic fang spell would.

Cheers, -- N

eamon

Explorer
jRocket said:

It does.

mvincent

Explorer
Blue said:
I think you can get a permanency cast on the Magic Fang spell.
Yup, but I don't believe that an unarmed strike is considered a natural attack (barring a special ability, like the monk's).

Regardless, here are some tips regarding permanent Greater magic fang:
1) Caster level 20 gives you a +5 natural weapon. Also, CL20 is immune to regular dispel magic (the DC is too high to dispel). The whole thing should cost about 9k gp (most of that will go to a wizard to make the Druid's spell permanent).
2) If a 20th level druid cannot be located, try for a lower level one that has his CL temporarily augmented using a bead of karma, candle of invocation, orange ioun stone, and/or a ring of spell-storing loaded with death knell. A 12 to 16th level Druid should be available in any decent sized, randomly generation city in D&D (yeah... it's odd that high level Druid's are easier to find in big cities).
3) Barring that, the D&D rules seem to condone high-level scrolls being more readily available than high level casters. Using just the printed rules, a CL20 scroll of GMF should cost 1,500 gp and so should be available in towns with a 1,500 gp limit or higher.
4) For advanced players: a CL 20 GMF is still vulnerable to Greater Dispel Magic. However, a ring of counterspells (loaded with GDM) can help. Also, a bunch of CL 21 magic mouths can protect against area GDM's (the magic mouths could possible be created by a lower level caster using some of the above CL augmenting items).

Remove ads