• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Initiate Feat Houserule, need opinion.

RealMarkP

First Post
5e noob here.

My DM house ruled the Magic Initiate Feat from the PHB. It does all the same things as the original feat plus it gives you an additional 2+Int Mod spell points (we use spell points instead of slots). I'd have the ability to cast four additional cantrips or two additional level 1 spells or 1 additional level 2 spell. Having the ability to cast more spells (plus the other benefits of Magic Initiate) is a nice feature.

Now, many of the Wizard guides out there say that you should take the Lucky, Resilient, or Mobile feats. With the modification I mentioned above, how does the new feat stack up against the recommended feats?

Because the Magic Initiate feat allows you to grab spells from other classes, I was thinking of grabbing from the cleric or druid pool. Spells such as Guidance, Resistance, and Bane (Cleric)/Entangle (Druid). We're in a magic item poor campaign where the use of magic is outlawed. Buff spells might be good for a battlefield controller wizard, perhaps?

3y3g00

First Post
Magic Initiate was already a great feat. Adding this just makes it even better. I would pick this up in a jiffy. Too many great/flavorful options to ignore.

I would probably forgo resistance though.

As a side note, I'm surprised the guides recommend resilient over war caster. It just seems so much better for early levels.

Remove ads