• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Creation

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay, lets say I want to come up with a new magic item. One of the spells required to craft it is a maximized cure light wounds. Now cure light wounds is a first level spell except for rangers. When calculating the Caster Level do I need to consider the ranger or can I go ahead and say 7th, because that is the requirement for all other classes?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Frukathka said:
Okay, lets say I want to come up with a new magic item. One of the spells required to craft it is a maximized cure light wounds. Now cure light wounds is a first level spell except for rangers. When calculating the Caster Level do I need to consider the ranger or can I go ahead and say 7th, because that is the requirement for all other classes?

You say 7th in the item description, but if a ranger ever wants to make one by himself, he'll need to be high enough level to cast it.

-Hyp.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You say 7th in the item description, but if a ranger ever wants to make one by himself, he'll need to be high enough level to cast it.

-Hyp.
Exactly. Remember, the Caster Level is a guideline and not a requirement; the spell itself is the requirement here.

Thanee

First Post
Prices presented in the magic item descriptions (the gold piece value following the item’s caster level) are the market value, which is generally twice what it costs the creator to make the item.

Since different classes get access to certain spells at different levels, the prices for two characters to make the same item might actually be different. An item is only worth two times what the caster of lowest possible level can make it for. Calculate the market price based on the lowest possible level caster, no matter who makes the item.

Bye
Thanee

sdt

First Post
Craft Wand prereq is 5th level caster; you'd need to be a 10th level Ranger since your caster level = 1/2 Ranger level.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
sdt said:
Craft Wand prereq is 5th level caster; you'd need to be a 10th level Ranger since your caster level = 1/2 Ranger level.

He'd need to be a 14th level ranger to cast Maximized Cure Light Wounds.

-Hyp.

cantrip

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
He'd need to be a 14th level ranger to cast Maximized Cure Light Wounds.

-Hyp.

Actually, he'd need to reach epic levels. A maximised cure light wounds cast by a ranger needs a 5th level slot.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
cantrip said:
Actually, he'd need to reach epic levels. A maximised cure light wounds cast by a ranger needs a 5th level slot.

Point :)

I was adding the +3 to a 1st level spell... 'cos, y'know, it's Cure Light Wounds!

Has it ever been stated how a Sudden Maximized spell interacts with Craft Item pricings?

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
Point :)

Has it ever been stated how a Sudden Maximized spell interacts with Craft Item pricings?

-Hyp.
I guess you end up with a wand that can cast a single maximised spell per day, but it costs no more than normal??

Either that or you just tell the crafter in question "no"...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads