• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items available for purchace?

kingius

First Post
Basically, you've got two camps here: one are the parents (DMs), who can see that giving access to everything a child ever wants will spoil the child (which is bad in the long run) and then there are the children (players) who want everything they ask for.

The buying of magic items undermines the treasure seeking route of adventuring. The game is built around adventuring as the core reason for people playing D&D instead of one of a multitude of games.

Therefore, giving players anything they ask for will spoil them and, in the end, ruin the game for everyone. Just don't expect most players to see that far ahead. All they see is 'magic items, I want, I want!'.

Dandu

First Post
The buying of magic items undermines the treasure seeking route of adventuring. The game is built around adventuring as the core reason for people playing D&D instead of one of a multitude of games.
What? D&D isn't built around adventuring, it's built around roleplaying. Only munchkins use it as some sort of dedicated tactical combat simulator.

Holy Bovine

First Post
At low-levels magical items that effect movement have always been the last thing you want them to have, because you have what, until level 3 with levitate or 5 with fly to use gravity to give them a challenge. No not game-breaking per se, just annoying to plan a dungeon scenario only to have it dashed.

Err the Pcs in question were 7th level. I have to assume there was either no sorcerer, wizard, druid or cleric in the party or none who had taken Fly or Air Walk or Make Whole or any of a host of other spells that could easily bypass a rickety bridge. Rickety bridges are mostly for 1st & 2nd level PCs - expecting them to be any challenge to a moderately competent party of 5th level or higher is unreasonable, imo.

Omegaxicor

First Post
The masterwork stuff was reserved for nobility, but the more common stuff, and that will include more common magical items, was available to the public, including mercenaries.

Seriously??? Masterwork items are for the nobility but common magic items are for the public??? Please tell me I misread that because Magic items MUST be atleast Masterwork so they can't possibly be common (I know that Masterwork applies to Weapons and Armour but it's level applies)

Err the Pcs in question were 7th level. I have to assume there was either no sorcerer, wizard, druid or cleric in the party or none who had taken Fly or Air Walk or Make Whole or any of a host of other spells that could easily bypass a rickety bridge. Rickety bridges are mostly for 1st & 2nd level PCs - expecting them to be any challenge to a moderately competent party of 5th level or higher is unreasonable, imo.

I missed the OP saying they were 7th level...

Derren

Hero
Seriously??? Masterwork items are for the nobility but common magic items are for the public??? Please tell me I misread that because Magic items MUST be atleast Masterwork so they can't possibly be common (I know that Masterwork applies to Weapons and Armour but it's level applies)

1. Not all magical items need to be masterwork (rings & wonderous items)
2. In a world with magically enchanted items "masterwork" certainly means something very different than from the real world.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The buying of magic items undermines the treasure seeking route of adventuring.

The UNLIMITED & UNFETTERED buying of magic items undermines the treasure seeking route of adventuring.

When you make them follow the rules of supply & demand, it's much less of an issue.

Nezkrul

First Post
so, don't let pc's buy items that make their characters better, and instead encourage them to give it away (charity)... what's the point of giving them the gold then? they don't need it for basic supplies.

How about, when giving them treasure, you give them the magic items that make their characters better, instead of giving them random junk that doesn't help them + money and then telling them they can't buy the item that makes them better even after letting them sell the junk for 50%... lol

again, why give them gold if they can't use it?

Adimus

First Post
so, don't let pc's buy items that make their characters better, and instead encourage them to give it away (charity)... what's the point of giving them the gold then? they don't need it for basic supplies.

How about, when giving them treasure, you give them the magic items that make their characters better, instead of giving them random junk that doesn't help them + money and then telling them they can't buy the item that makes them better even after letting them sell the junk for 50%... lol

again, why give them gold if they can't use it?

Who keeps saying they can't?

Giving them exactly what they want in every treasure hoard makes the story sound contrived. You don't have to cater to their every want. Nor am I saying they can't buy magic items. I'm just saying there should be a middle ground between everything under the sun and what is reasonable and believable.

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
i'm not saying give them everything they want in every treasure hoard, i'm saying make available to them the items that make their characters better, here and there; i'm not saying give them a +6 belt of giant strength at level 2, but maybe a +2 belt; I'm not saying give them everything they want upfront at all; i'm saying it is good DMing to work it into your campaign, rather than flat out telling them no they can't buy better items, you have to use what I give you and thats it. That kind of thinking leads players to want to drop their current character infavor of an artificer or other item crafter just so they can get what they want... and get it cheaper than what they were already willing to pay so they end up with more.

Remove ads