• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Missile and Opportunity Attacks

Bodhiwolff

First Post
I have a question regarding Opportunity Attacks, Ranged Basic Attacks, and Wizards.

I thought I had most things sussed, and then for fun I listened to the podcast of a demo D&D game done by an official WotC DM for the folks at the comics “Penny Arcade” and “PvP”.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606

In the Penny Arcade/PvP D&D demo Podcast, episode #2, at around 8:20 into the podcast, the Demo DM explains that a wizard can use Magic Missile to make opportunity attacks in 4th edition, because it can take the place of a Ranged Basic Attack.

However, in the Player’s Handbook, page 290, it says that an opportunity attack is a melee basic attack (and says to see page 287 for info on melee basic attacks). It makes no mention of ranged basic attacks at all.

So my question is … is the demo DM simply making a mistake (which strikes me as odd, since he rolls right along for the entire podcast, handling far more finicky things than this without breaking a sweat), or is there something I am missing?

Can Wizards use Magic Missile to make opportunity attacks? Can anybody use Ranged Basic Attacks in opportunity attacks?

Bison

First Post
is it possible the DM mis-spoke and he ment to say he could use magic missile immediate attacks? perhaps refering to certain warlord powers?

I had read the rules the same way you did, that opportunity attacks are melee only

edit: sorry I cant check the podcast for myself, typing this from work :)

lebkin

First Post
I believe that podcast was recorded before the 4th Edition rules were final. It is possible that things changed before the final release.

As Bison point out, it could also just be an honest DM mistake.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
So my question is … is the demo DM simply making a mistake (which strikes me as odd, since he rolls right along for the entire podcast, handling far more finicky things than this without breaking a sweat), or is there something I am missing?

Can Wizards use Magic Missile to make opportunity attacks? Can anybody use Ranged Basic Attacks in opportunity attacks?
The DM made a statement that diverges from the rules. His statement may have been a mistake, or it may not, depending upon how he chooses to run his games. But his statement does not follow the written rules.

No one, currently, can use Ranged Basic Attacks to make Opportunity Attacks. If the DM wants to change this then he can, just like he can change any other rule he needs or wants to change to get the game to be more fun for him and his table.

Hawke

Explorer
What's the advantage of allowing wizards/warlocks to use their respective powers as "ranged basic" attacks instead of them just being your at-will? When else can you use a ranged basic when you couldn't use a similar at-will?

Kordeth

First Post
What's the advantage of allowing wizards/warlocks to use their respective powers as "ranged basic" attacks instead of them just being your at-will? When else can you use a ranged basic when you couldn't use a similar at-will?

Warlord powers, for one.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Some powers grant allies a basic attack, which could be either melee or ranged.

In particular, here are powers in the PHB where it comes up:
Beat them into the Ground (Wlrd 13): allies granted basic attack
Confusion (Wiz 27): Opponent makes basic attacks
Curse of the Dark Delirium (Wlck 29): Opponent makes basic attack you control
Delusions of Loyalty (Wlck 19): Opponent makes basic attack
Fox's Cunning (Rngr 1): You make basic attack
Hail of Steel (Wlrd 17): Allies make basic attacks
Hide from the Light (Rgue 22): You can make basic attacks
Life Spark Summons (Life-Stealer 12): Spirit makes basic attacks
Relentless Assault (Wlrd 22): Allies make basic attacks
Stir the Hornet's Nest (Wlrd 25): Allies make basic attacks

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend

There are bracers that give damage bonuses to basic ranged attacks...so this is a great item for a warlock using e. blast or wizard using m. missile.

Remove ads