Magic of Incarnum... hmm...

Macbeth

First Post
Well, I'll wait a bit before if I decide to buy it or not, but the basic premise (WotC does something new and differnt) sounds interesting. New spellcasting machanic... round by round mechanic... amybe you have a certain allocation of points, which you can redistribute between different abilites each round? So 2 points to Mage Armor one round, 1 point to Mage Armor and 1 to Fireball the next...

Anyway, this sounds like an interesting book to say the least, I just wonder if it will follow through.

Nyeshet

First Post
From what I understand, it seems they really mean Chi - not Soul. Basically one uses spiritual energy to produce magic effects. Perhaps this means a Warlock type class that uses either spell points or a continual DC vs fatigue / failure. Also the magic set up was described at the WotC boards as something akin to the Artificer class in Eberron - using tech / rituals / etc rather than prepared spells, etc.

Considering all this, it will either be excellent or terrible. I'll wait till more details come out to decide.

DMH

First Post
Been partially done- AEG's Magic has a few pages devoted to using souls in magic item creation and Atlas' Occult Lore has a class that suck the parts of the soul that stay with the body after death to gain magical power and to cultivate them into something more.

Nailom

First Post
It's very interesting and a bit confusing. Damaging/Abusing/Destroying Souls was always one of the most evil acts someone could do in a D&D-Game and now the player should do exactly this. Curious

Bye Nailom

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well there's also the possibly said soul DECIDES to linger on after death. Perhaps to guard the family line, ensure and promote the well being of a particular organization. Or perhaps, he/she wants to contribute in some fashion to his/her legend by being an intelligent weapon.

Just a few ideas.

JustKim

First Post
Where exactly do these souls come from? It's not like there's a heaven in D&D where dead people float around and chat about their descendants back on the prime. When you die, you go to an outer plane and you become an outsider if the plane doesn't simply eat you. Who you were is gone, and if you die again, that's the end- outsiders don't have souls.

So where are they coming from?

Remove ads