• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Stone

Magic Stone. (V, S)
"You touch one to three pebbles and imbue them with magic. . . "

Do you need a free hand for the somatic component, or can it be the hand holding the stone(s)? I'm thinking, by RAW you need a totally free hand. Note: Unlike Shillelagh it has no M component per se.

Right now, I'm just asking the RAW (and RAI), not how I should rule it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Tough question. I think most people (myself included) are going to tell you we'd let them use the same hand, but I'm not really sure how RAW would apply in this case, and I'm pretty familiar with what is written. The problem is that it doesn't appear to be written like other similar spells. Generally they would list the stones as material components, eliminating the question.

If I were forced to make a decision on a strict reading, I'd say that you can't cast the spell with the stones in that hand.

PnPgamer

Explorer
You cast the spell, then are ready for targets. If you have two hands free, you can keep your sling and the stones in one hand while you cast. Use your available hand to cast spell and touch your stones. Stones are imbued. Put one stone in sling and shoot.

Ir you have a shield grab warcaster feat or weep

Last edited:

That would be fine and dandy if it had a material component, true. I wouldn't even be asking the question. But, the spell does not have a M material component. They didn't make it like Shillelagh for some reason, and I'm thinking they might have did that for a reason, i.e., perhaps ensuring you have a (totally) free hand?

By RAW you do not need to be holding the stones. They are fluff.

I was thinking along those lines, as well (but couldn't that be said about almost any spell really?). But, one could very well be enchanting one's hand, perhaps? Then by touching the pebbles you imbue them?
I'm not sure where to draw the line insofar as what's just fluff, and when fluff implies the RAI. I am concerned about the RAI too.
Wouldn't be a problem for a thri-kreen.

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
The stones are the targets. Just as if it said you touch someone you wouldn't need a free/empty hand to touch someone...(or do you? I am away from books)

If they were the components then it would be a different story, but they are the targets.

Remove ads