• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Main gauche + combat expertise

Tuzon Thume

First Post
I would suggest that the defense bonus would apply only against an opponent fighting with small weapons or only against a finesse fighting opponent perhaps. No way that dagger'd stop that great axe or great sword

Nyaricus

First Post
Tuzon Thume said:
Shouldn't it be considered an exotic weapon since it would require intensive training.
FSTS puts it as a Martial weapon - but i could see the argument here. Maybe that would be a bad idea . . . but hey, i dunno :S

Nyaricus

First Post
well, that "+1"/bonus in general would depend on which version on the rules you use - but the set-up is awesome with the "vs this type of weapon". Go with it!

Cabral

First Post
Actually, I don't think the bonus vrs types of weapons is a good idea. While the Main Gauche is good at catching weapons, this is better represented in a Sunder or Disarm bonus than an AC bonus. The AC bonus should be more of a deflection motion (which is effective against all weapons) than a catching motion.

If I include a main gauche, it'll provide a +1 shield bonus when fighting defensively or a +2 shield bonus when using total defense. (this combined with 5 ranks of tumble makes a rapier/main gauche fighter pretty effective)

Remove ads