• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make Your Owon Resin Water Tiles! Cheap!

dclunie

First Post
resin_water+tiles_01.JPG

PART 1

While not specifically for any one RPG you can take the technique and adapt it easily enough, especially if you are using a printed out water tile sheet I recently posted on here and my site. I think i priced out my tiles to be about $1.50 for a 5x5 1/4 thick tile or $2.00 if you count the 5 min epoxy resin I use for making the wavy pattern on the top of the tiles (can't seem to find it in bulk online and the double sided syringes are about $5.00 bucks a pop, but you get multiple uses on each tile, sealing and then wavy pattern by "painting" the resin on) vs the dwarven forge water tiles which are 15.00 for singles or 12.00ish in a set which those are 4x4.

More or less this technique will allow you to create any size you want really and any type of water too, sewer, underground river, deep oceanic water tiles, etc.

this first video is just an overview and the actual instructions will be posted in the next few posts. I hope you'll check it out and be inspired to make yer own!

Enjoy! and happy roleplaying!

-david
d4d6d8d10d12d20 - My Game Blog

ps: I'll post the additional videos and posts here in the same thread rather than make a new one each time so you'll have them all in one space well besides my site of course ;)

dclunie

First Post
Make Your Own Resin Water Tiles! Cheap! - Part 2

Part Two is up and goes over some of the tools used. The next video will be about the resins I used, one I'd recommend and one I'd avoid if you're looking to replicate my results.

dragon_lavamen_rogue.png

Last edited:

dclunie

First Post
Part Three Of The Video Series To Create Your Own Water Tiles

Part Three is up and talks about the resins I used to construct the water tiles. Here is a pic of some water tiles I completed recently using my deep water ocean/lake tiles base printout sheets and they are unfinished, in that they do not have the epoxy resin ontop to create the wavy pattern and of water currents and the edges are sharp from where the resin crept up the sides of the mold. You could leave the tiles "as is" and just sand/file the edges a bit for absolutely still or glass like water too. Its all up to you!
Stay tuned for the next video in this series.

2010-07-19%2014.18.01.jpg

dclunie

First Post
Part Four Of The Video Series To Create Your Own Water Tiles

Part 4 Is up. This video walks through a prep for a pour of the resin, mixing of the resin and color dyes and then finally a pour of the resin, then finally a demolding and showing you what mistakes (salvageable) I came up against using one particular resin.

-david
d4d6d8d10d12d20 - My Game Blog

Preferred Resin to use, very easy 1 to 1 ratio
easy%20cast%20gallon.jpg

dclunie

First Post
PART 5 and 5a Videos are now Live!

Parts 5 and 5a

Here is the remaining videos for creating the water tiles. In these videos I show you how I use 5 min epoxy to make a wavy pattern by wiggling a disposable brush through "wet" resin and run into a huge mistake of making up too much resin and having it cure in seconds in the middle of my project, that is where the second video comes in and somewhat shows you how to even recover from a bad mistake.

this is the end of this video series for now, "unless I make some specialized tiles", so I hope you all enjoyed this series. I have some other content coming up soon too so keep an eye out! :D

-david
d4d6d8d10d12d20
2010-07-23%2021.30.21.jpg

Remove ads