Making your own power cards

Avrus

First Post
Sorry. No.

The Dzokvik template was one of my 4.3 templates (well, not MINE, actually, but you get the idea).

It's also been in pretty high demand and will most likely be the first or one of the first templates I move to the UCS.

The template I have is called 'Hirahito-Simple' and it's basically a VERY simple not yet complete version of my Version 5 template re-made for the UCS.

I have about 7 templates I want to move to the UCS, but other UCS related projects are in the front of my queue at the moment.

Thanks for your support, and trust me, I have neither forgotten nor abandoned you. It's all just a matter of getting the time.

-- Hirahito

Sorry if this comes out as verbal garbage but the whole power card thing is becoming quite frustrating.

I absolutely support the UCS project, I think it's long overdue - if you look at the number of people in this thread creating templates and data sets from scratch.

My frustration comes in that the only template I've found that is easily used by my players is something similar to the Dzokvik or Rimwar sets where it shows a quick icon for Action, key stat for attack, and versus / defense.

What I'm looking for is one consistent style similar to above that doesn't go extinct in a month so I have to reinvent the wheel.

So far nothing fits the bill, and I'm beginning to think I should just throw in the towel and order the WOTC cards since they'll be consistent.

DrunkenEwok

First Post
@DennisB - I'm not sure if you can manage to add drop-shadows to the left-side text, but that can make a huge difference in legibility against varying-contrast backgrounds.

I know it's possible - Hirahito did one for his latest template - but it might have just been a poor-man's version, where you print the text twice - first in a contrasting color (e.g. black), offset by 1-2 pixels to the right and down - then again over top in the original position in your primary color (e.g. white).

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
Because some skills, like athletics, has many sub sections and having a quick reference to all the abilities is good on hand so if you have an idea on how to use it then between you're turn you can glance at the card to see if it is possible
This does bring up a really good point I wanted to mention. I would really like the heading to include the actual skill...

For example: if I am looking for how to use Heal for first aid, I am going to be looking for "Heal: First Aid" rather than "First Aid". I have been using these cards for quite a while now, and that sort of things still throws me, since everything else is where "I expect it to be".

Avrus

First Post
Sorry. No.

The Dzokvik template was one of my 4.3 templates (well, not MINE, actually, but you get the idea).

It's also been in pretty high demand and will most likely be the first or one of the first templates I move to the UCS.

The template I have is called 'Hirahito-Simple' and it's basically a VERY simple not yet complete version of my Version 5 template re-made for the UCS.

I have about 7 templates I want to move to the UCS, but other UCS related projects are in the front of my queue at the moment.

Thanks for your support, and trust me, I have neither forgotten nor abandoned you. It's all just a matter of getting the time.

Here's some images from the Version 5 Simple template. Please excuse the fact they are Beta and pretty rough looking.

-- Hirahito

The cards look great, imho. But again -- I'm looking for function first, form second.

Every time a player uses a power they need to know what the action type is, what the source is, what stat modifier it uses, and what it's versus. (and also melee ranged etc).

So when I look at it from a player perspective, I want those things to be first and foremost on the card for icons. That way a player can quickly look at the card, fire those stats off, and then read the details if needs be.

Combat is at times excruciatingly slow, and having the relevant information quickly available to the players moves things along.

Edit: on a fresh install with the UCS Beta 2 I'm getting an invalid command line arguement. Any idea why?

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
Sorry if this comes out as verbal garbage but the whole power card thing is becoming quite frustrating.

I absolutely support the UCS project, I think it's long overdue - if you look at the number of people in this thread creating templates and data sets from scratch.

My frustration comes in that the only template I've found that is easily used by my players is something similar to the Dzokvik or Rimwar sets where it shows a quick icon for Action, key stat for attack, and versus / defense.

What I'm looking for is one consistent style similar to above that doesn't go extinct in a month so I have to reinvent the wheel.

So far nothing fits the bill, and I'm beginning to think I should just throw in the towel and order the WOTC cards since they'll be consistent.

I totally understand your frustration. It's why a few of us template designers banded together to MAKE the UCS, after all.

I'm currently way too busy in getting the UCS off the ground to try and make the Dzokvik conversion. I can, however, reassure you that the Dzokvik conversion is inevitable and that I will make it the top of my priorities once I get some free time.

If you'd like to convert the Dzokvik to the UCS yourself, I would be more than willing to release the template to you and give you help on doing the conversion.

That's the best I can do, unfortunately.

If *I* do the conversion, the Dzokvik conversion will make them look somewhat similar in graphic style to the Simple set I showed previously with the text, icons and flow in the same position as they are in the Dzokvik template now.

If *you* do the conversion, you can make them look however you like.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
This does bring up a really good point I wanted to mention. I would really like the heading to include the actual skill...

For example: if I am looking for how to use Heal for first aid, I am going to be looking for "Heal: First Aid" rather than "First Aid". I have been using these cards for quite a while now, and that sort of things still throws me, since everything else is where "I expect it to be".

That's a great point.

I'll try and remember to change the cards in the MSE-SET to have the skill as part of their title (at least for the UCS).

-- Hirahito

DennisB

First Post
@ DrunkenEwok
If I let you take a look at the template that my partner has been working on, maybe you can show me what you are talking about, would that work, if so i will e-mail you a copy.

@ tristan_tewksbury
Thats why I am going to be making a deck of cards for skills, and each sub section is going to have there own card for ease of use.

eloquentaction

First Post
The cards look great, imho. But again -- I'm looking for function first, form second.

Every time a player uses a power they need to know what the action type is, what the source is, what stat modifier it uses, and what it's versus. (and also melee ranged etc).

So when I look at it from a player perspective, I want those things to be first and foremost on the card for icons. That way a player can quickly look at the card, fire those stats off, and then read the details if needs be.

Combat is at times excruciatingly slow, and having the relevant information quickly available to the players moves things along.

Edit: on a fresh install with the UCS Beta 2 I'm getting an invalid command line arguement. Any idea why?

Please go to toosigma and make those suggestions on the development thread. I'm sure all of the card designers (including myself) are very interested in your opinions on card layout.

As far as the error - I'm not sure why this is occuring. Open the MSE-SET via the front panel rather than double-clicking.

-- Hirahito

Avrus

First Post
Please go to toosigma and make those suggestions on the development thread. I'm sure all of the card designers (including myself) are very interested in your opinions on card layout.

As far as the error - I'm not sure why this is occuring. Open the MSE-SET via the front panel rather than double-clicking.

-- Hirahito

Sorry, my error. Was extracting the files into the data subfolder instead of the MSE directory.

Remove ads