• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making your own power cards

DrunkenEwok

First Post
Ok I am somewhat confused on using the UCS files in MSE. I downloaded the UCS and followed the directions from:Getting Started - Toosigma but cannot open the cards
The directions, like everything else UCS, is still in Beta. I just did another install, and updated the instructions as I did - it should be a little more useful at this point.

Note that there seems to be a version mismatch between the UCS-Core and Hirahito-Simple template available at the moment. Because of this, the card name won't display - this will be fixed before we exit Beta (which should be soon - but I can't nail down a date yet)

Thanks again to all for your patience, cooperation, and encouragement in this effort. It is much appreciated.

If you're interested in participating - feel free to visit How You Can Help! for some ideas on where you might be able to contribute. Many hands make light work, and we can use all the help we can get! :)

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
Ok I am somewhat confused on using the UCS files in MSE. I downloaded the UCS and followed the directions from:Getting Started - Toosigma but cannot open the cards
What exactly do you mean by "cannot open the cards"? If you mean, "where are all the power cards for classes, races, items, etc. that I saw in 4.3 of Hirahito's sets" then the answer would be that the card text is not in the UCS yet, at least not as found in the zip file.

{Note: I use Hirahito's cards, so that is why I am using his name in this explanation. I am not trying to slight anyone else's cards! Once the other templates are modified for UCS users will have a wonderful range of card styles to use for their character's cards}

Basically, the UCS tells MSE how to understand the various elements used to *make* 4E cards, and includes a very basic default background, icons, etc. The templates like Hirahito's Simple adds more graphics options and a different layout for the elements defined by UCS, but does not include the actual 4E rules text. The last part (which is not yet available) is the actual game text, but that is not available yet. :erm:

If you want to see the graphics so far, try the following (and hopefully I am clear):

Once you install the UCS, you can open up MSE and click [New set]. You will see a set of icons representing the various game sets available, divided into two lists. The top list is labeled "Game type:" and there you will see a n icone called "4E USC" with the basic melee symbol. That is the UCS. On the second list below that yuou will see only a style called "Default" unless you have installed Hirahito's Simple template, in which case you can also select that one.

Having done that, you will not see anything other than a very blank card. :(

Once Hirahito has released the card text (as he mentioned in a previous post, it is the 4.3 content at this time) you will be able to use use the [Open set] button rather than [New set] and then you will have all the cards from Hirahito 4.3, and can then choose a style for those cards if you do not like the default look.

Hopefully, that clears things up ;)

dzokvic

First Post
Well, after taking a break from working on power cards for awhile after releasing my first template, to put in some serious work on my 4E campaign, I am back, at least for the time being.

It is gratifying to know that people are using and liking my template. Many thanks to all those who do. I am currently working on an update to it, not many sweeping changes, just cleaning up some areas, tightening up the design a bit, and playing with some stuff. I will post the new template here when I am done, (which will hopefully be soon)and would appreciate any and all feedback you can give.

I am curious though, regarding the legality of using official 4e fonts in the power cards. I have versions with and without, and I must admit, I really like the unified look using the fonts out of the book can give. If anyone can enlighten me that would be excellent.

The idea of the UCS is very exciting. Props to everyone who is putting in time on this.

DennisB

First Post
DrunkenEwok, could you look at a template for me and see what you can do with it. It has a few glitches left in it and was wondering if you could, with you're vast knowledge, fix them for me, I can not make heads or tails of it.

Thindaraiel

First Post
Hello guys !

Here is a new version of the Thindaraiel template. This v2.0 version is designed to work with UCS Beta2 game file (not included in the package, you will have to download it also from Hirahito's links). No new functionnality, but everything that was in it before is still there.

With this version, you will be able to test the potential of UCS: the template is fully compatible with Hirahito's one, you can use both templates in the same mse-set.

Have fun !

Download : Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Dracorat

First Post
From Page 36 of this thread (assuming default posts per page)
Below is a complete (1500+) set of power cards in PDF format made from my own PowerPoint template. [...] New icons were made for Area and Close powers despite my itch for an official look, to delineate between bursts, blasts, and walls -- per type -- with a standardized visual approach to help new players understand how to use them on the Battlemat. The official icons don't seem to be built with that in mind.

Grandpa ...

I am making vector images of many of the icons people will need to use in preparation for creating my own power card template.

Some of the icons you have created are simply awesome. I can try to reinvent the wheel, but I would much rather use what you have for some things. Do you mind if I take some of your icons and use the basic design when I recreate all my icons? I am willing to include a readme that says "Some icons are directly inspired or molded after the icons created by ENWorld's 'Grandpa'"

??

eloquentaction

First Post
Well, after taking a break from working on power cards for awhile after releasing my first template, to put in some serious work on my 4E campaign, I am back, at least for the time being.

It is gratifying to know that people are using and liking my template. Many thanks to all those who do. I am currently working on an update to it, not many sweeping changes, just cleaning up some areas, tightening up the design a bit, and playing with some stuff. I will post the new template here when I am done, (which will hopefully be soon)and would appreciate any and all feedback you can give.

I am curious though, regarding the legality of using official 4e fonts in the power cards. I have versions with and without, and I must admit, I really like the unified look using the fonts out of the book can give. If anyone can enlighten me that would be excellent.

The idea of the UCS is very exciting. Props to everyone who is putting in time on this.

Dzokvik -

Good to see you back.

It's on my to-do list to update your style into the new UCS. Do you want me to hold on this and hand over the project to you?

It's your template, control of where it goes is up to you.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
Once Hirahito has released the card text (as he mentioned in a previous post, it is the 4.3 content at this time) you will be able to use use the [Open set] button rather than [New set] and then you will have all the cards from Hirahito 4.3, and can then choose a style for those cards if you do not like the default look.

Hopefully, that clears things up ;)

Tristan -

Check the toosigma.com site. The new Beta 3 of the UCS has been released and now my template has been updated to work with it.

Plus, the new Beta 3 of the UCS now has an MSE-SET that has 3206 cards; All of the PHB, the MM, the DMG, the AV, the FRPG, some of the Dragons and some of the ENWorld material.

This is all in Beta, so we'd appreciate any feedback; good or bad.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
This does bring up a really good point I wanted to mention. I would really like the heading to include the actual skill...

For example: if I am looking for how to use Heal for first aid, I am going to be looking for "Heal: First Aid" rather than "First Aid". I have been using these cards for quite a while now, and that sort of things still throws me, since everything else is where "I expect it to be".

Tristan -

BTW - you can now officially call me a 'bastard'.

I wasn't able to get your skill title changes into this release, nor did I get your 'tristaboxes' into the set.

There was a lot of pressure to make the Beta 3 release, so they've slipped down to the next release.

Sorry dude. I know this will crush you and make you hate the world and all...

-- Hirahito

Remove ads