Making your own power cards

Grandpa

First Post
I still check in here and there to see if anything in the basic card set needs adjusting, but it was a monumental effort to get that in place and it suits my needs (which don't extend past the core books). Others have made amazing contributions to the set (which was the point of doing them in PPT) but it makes sense the community is heavily involved with UCS since the highest cost in producing cards is typing in all of the information.

I have different design needs and continue to use and love my set and hope others find a use in them too. But I am humbled by the generosity of community. The work preparing cards is staggering and everyone involved has been incredibly gracious.

But yeah, I'm kind of around if you have questions. I wish I had more time to participate, but I don't anymore. :/

misalo1

Explorer
On the subject of Grandpa's cards (where is he, anyway?), look at his icons for race/class/etc. Why reinvent the wheel if it's usable?

Are they available in png (or something similar) so we can use them in MSE.
If not the work is the same.

Edit...
Someone just pointed me to Grandpa's ppt files.
We can get the icons from there (Doh) :blush:.
I'll convert them if Grandpa doesn't mind.... :D

Last edited:

misalo1

Explorer
Ritual can be the book, if you get a wild hair and think up icons for any or all of the other ones, we'd be very much appreciative.

As Lord Tirian noted the Arcane Power book will have a new implement 'Tome' - we'd probably be better off saving my 'Open Book' icon for that. It seems to fit in with Magic Item icons.

I had another look at Grandpa's Icons and to replace it I'd use his 'Ritual' icon.
His icons for Conditions and Races are really good. So I converted them to png so they can be incorporated in to the UCS.

The icons below are: Ritual - Races - Conditions - Magic Item: Tome (the 1st three are by Gramdpa & the last one is mine)

Attachments

• misc_ritual.png
    misc_ritual.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 881
  • misc_races.png
    misc_races.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 886
  • misc_condition.png
    misc_condition.png
    3 KB · Views: 875
  • item_tome.png
    item_tome.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 883

eloquentaction

First Post
As Lord Tirian noted the Arcane Power book will have a new implement 'Tome' - we'd probably be better off saving my 'Open Book' icon for that. It seems to fit in with Magic Item icons.

I had another look at Grandpa's Icons and to replace it I'd use his 'Ritual' icon.
His icons for Conditions and Races are really good. So I converted them to png so they can be incorporated in to the UCS.

The icons below are: Ritual - Races - Conditions - Magic Item: Tome (the 1st three are by Gramdpa & the last one is mine)

Misalo -

Those are awesome icons. And yes, I've stolen a lot of Granpa's icons for use with other magic items (with his grudging, grumpy, granpa-like permission). *wink*

I will definitely be bringing most, if not all those icons across.

I owe you a six pack of the favorite brew, sir. And well, Granpa, tell me whether you prefer Ensure or Boost old people drink and I'll get you a case right out to you. *snort* (I keeed, I keeed).

Right now, I'm trying to finish up my Monster card template so I can start working on the printing tool for the DnDI Character Editor. I've managed to finagle the use of a copy of Acrobat Professional so I can edit some of the fine PDF character sheets out there. Between that and the power card piece, it ought to be a pretty cool tool.

-- Hirahito

P.S. - You had asked what a 'Social' card was. Well, currently, it hasn't been defined. My intention, however, is to make a set of cards the DM can use to enhance role-play. For example; if a player does a heroic deed and almost gets post-toastied trying to save a local or a damsel, he gets a 'Heroic' card which allows them a special bonus they can use during the next few sessions. Likewise, good role-playing also nets social cards that allows a (for example) +1 to hit for a round or +2 to damage, etc.

Suddenly, good role-playing becomes 'worthwhile' to the combat-whores in the group.

Last edited:

misalo1

Explorer
Misalo -

P.S. - You had asked what a 'Social' card was. Well, currently, it hasn't been defined. My intention, however, is to make a set of cards the DM can use to enhance role-play. For example; if a player does a heroic deed and almost gets post-toastied trying to save a local or a damsel, he gets a 'Heroic' card which allows them a special bonus they can use during the next few sessions. Likewise, good role-playing also nets social cards that allows a (for example) +1 to hit for a round or +2 to damage, etc.

Suddenly, good role-playing becomes 'worthwhile' to the combat-whores in the group.

OK... I got an idea for that... I'll let you know, ;)

BTW... Which Poison / Disease icon do you prefer:
Modern (Skull/Biohazard) or Animal (Cobra/Rat)?

Just Curious...

Alain (Thral Misalo)

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
OK... I got an idea for that... I'll let you know, ;)

BTW... Which Poison / Disease icon do you prefer:
Modern (Skull/Biohazard) or Animal (Cobra/Rat)?

Just Curious...

Alain (Thral Misalo)

I was thinking the Cobra / Rat ones. Further, I was thinking I need to go clean the dataset... errr... the card entries to split Disease and Poison into two different clearly different types of cards.

BTW - Not to influence your idea(s), but my 'icon idea' for the Social card was the comedy / tragedy masks.

-- Hirahito

Dracorat

First Post
Just used some printed UCS cards for my game this last weekend. They were a big hit. That said, a couple things I couldn't find:

An "Action Point" card. We could find the second wind, but not the AP card. Can anyone point me to what it's called?

- there was an alternative "Second Wind" card that claims it was from the PHB and said you could take your second wind to regain the use of encounter powers. Really? Where have I missed that?

There was no "Grabbed" status card I could find. We had to look up grabbed and escape rules. (But to the cards' credit, they are the ONLY rules I had to look up!)

eloquentaction

First Post
Just used some printed UCS cards for my game this last weekend. They were a big hit. That said, a couple things I couldn't find:

An "Action Point" card. We could find the second wind, but not the AP card. Can anyone point me to what it's called?

- there was an alternative "Second Wind" card that claims it was from the PHB and said you could take your second wind to regain the use of encounter powers. Really? Where have I missed that?

There was no "Grabbed" status card I could find. We had to look up grabbed and escape rules. (But to the cards' credit, they are the ONLY rules I had to look up!)

There's no Action Point card in the UCS Beta 4 set. We'll have to add that and Grabbed and Escape cards, obviously.

And the alternative Second Wind you're seeing is an optional card I threw in from an ENWorld thread here. It should say 'Optional' in the keywords. If it doesn't, I'll need to make sure and add that as it is NOT RAW.

-- Hirahito

Dracorat

First Post
If "optional" was on the card, it didn't make sense, so I don't remember it. The "source" field should probably say something like "house rule" instead of "PHB Chapter 6"

And thanks for clarifying that!

misalo1

Explorer
I was thinking the Cobra / Rat ones. Further, I was thinking I need to go clean the dataset... errr... the card entries to split Disease and Poison into two different clearly different types of cards.

BTW - Not to influence your idea(s), but my 'icon idea' for the Social card was the comedy / tragedy masks.

-- Hirahito

Done

Attachments

• misc_social.png
    misc_social.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 807

Remove ads