Malaki Graves - Rog6 character build - finished...I think

Chibbell

First Post
Fellow ENWorlders. I am trying to create a decent rogue build for an FR character. Not happy with my attacks, damage or ac on this character. Also not so sure about the stats. Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated. They are some pretty generous guidelines and I am not sure what to do with myself.

Rules

Point Buy - 40 pts
Books - Core, FRCS, FR books (w DM approval), Splat books (w DM approval)
Race - Can be any from the PHB or FRCS. Ignore ECL.
Gold - 13K

I would like him to be a tiefling and a rogue. Other than that, not sure what else.

Malachi Graves: male tiefling Rog6; CR 6; Medium-size Humanoid (tiefling); HD 6d6; hp 28; Init +5 (Dex); Spd 30 ft; AC 18 (+3 mw studded leather, +5 Dex); Atks +7 melee (1d6+3/crit 18-20, rapier +1), or +6 melee (1d4+2/crit 19-20, dagger), or +9 ranged (1d4/crit 19-20, dagger), or +9 ranged (1d6/crit x3, comp. shortbow +1); SA darkness, sneak attack; SQ evasion, resistances, uncanny dodge; AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +10, Will +3; Str 14, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Appraise 7, Balance 10, Bluff, 11, Diplomacy 4, Disable Device 15, Disguise 4, Escape Artist 9, Forgery 4, Gather Information, 4, Hide 21, Listen 5, Move Silently 14, Open Lock 16, Search 13, Sleight Of Hand 7, Spot 5, Tumble 10, Use Magic Device 4, Use Rope 10; Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.

Special Attacks: Darkness (Sp): 1/day, tieflings can use darkness as cast by a level 6 sorcerer. Sneak Attack (Ex): Malachi Graves deals +3d6 damage against an opponent with a discernable anatomy who is denied a Dex bonus or is flanked.

Special Qualities: Resistances (Ex): Fire, cold, and electricity resistance 5. Uncanny Dodge: Dex bonus to AC.

Possessions: Cloak of Elvenkind, Shandakaul's Boots (MoF pg 165), MW Studded Leather, +1 Rapier, +1 Composite (1) Shortbow, Dagger (2), MW Thieves Tools, Arrows 60, Backpack, Bedroll, Blanket, Grappling Hook, Silk Rope (50 ft), Smokestick (2), Scales, Belt Pouch (2), Signal Whistle, Chalk (3), Rations (3), Sealing Wax, Whetstone, Flint and Steel, Waterskin, Ink (3), Paper (10), Scrollcase.

Treasure: 15 PP, 46 GP, 51 SP, 5 CP

Last edited:

Chibbell said:
Not happy with my attacks, damage or ac on this character

Are we to understand that you're looking to make a Combattant rogue? What do you see this guy doing? What's his attitude? Forget the numbers for now and try to describe to us what you want this guy to accomplish...

AR

Chibbell

First Post
While I don't have my full background written yet, here is how I see him.

He is a bit cold and aloof. He is somewhat removed from the party but is tied to them out of a sense of guilt and recompense for past wrong doings though he somewhat resents it. Hopefully they will break through his shell and show him true family.

I don't see him as angst ridden. More of believing he is smarter, better and faster than all the others. He has been there before, done it before and has a better story than you. He is also fairly full of himself and sees himself as a sort of swashbuckling, whitty, bantering type while in reality he comes off as arrogant. He is someone who strives to be cool, rather than actually is cool.

His planned introduction to possible employers would be, "Malachi Graves. Purveyor of antiquities, fine jewelry and artifiacts. Master dismantler of aquisition deterrant mechanisms, a beacon of light amongst explorers and of course, free market tradesman. At your service." While it sounds nice, his delivery of the lines will always be off.

I see him as fairly front line (which makes me hesitant about the Con). Kind of a dash and stab type. I want to take maximum advantage of sneak attack whenever possible. While the others are on the very front taking punishment, I picture him as dodging in and out, taking advantage of the enemies weakness then dissapearing before they can react. A skirmisher with hit and run tactics. He is also somewhat of a coward.

We are also a fairly ranged weapon heavy party from the looks of it. I am fairly certain our tactics will be to riddle the enemy with arrows as they close in with us, rather than us rushing head into battle up close.

He is not against fighting dirty and will use any advantage he can grab. While he has his own code, he will use whatever tactics that will keep him and his party alive.

Coredump

Explorer
Hmmm... It sounds like you want to be uber-sneaky, *and* a good combatant.

Doing both will be harder.

I would look at picking up a couple levels of fighter for the BAB/Fort/feats.

Also may want to look at Invisible Blade in CW.

Storminator

First Post
I would switch to Ftr2/Rog4, and pick up TWF and Twin-sword style feats. TSS grants a +2 AC against one for, so you can help solve that AC problem. TWF is great for sneak attacks as well, even tho you lose a die of SA. You also gain +1 BAB. You'd lose some skill points tho.

If it were me, I'd drop the DEX. Do you really need a 21 DEX? wouldn't an 18 be enough? For 3 points of DEX you can get 2 points of STR and 4 points of CON. That's a one point hit of AC for 12 hp and an extra +1 attack and damage.

PS

silverblade

First Post
Yeah, a level or two of fighter would help him out in combat. Combat expertise, improved feint, improved initiative, weapon finesse, or deadly precision (from preview of expanded psionics handbook: prereqs are dex 15, bab +5 let's you reroll 1's on sneak attack dice) would all be good choices for feats. A couple levels of ranger with undead as favored enemy and two-weapon fighting for combat style wouldn't be too bad either.

Chibbell

First Post
Thanks for the help folks. I did end up going for the two levels of fighter after all. I figured it was a good trade for 12 skill points. Plus next level I will regain my 3d6 sneak so all is good.

I still have Dodge - Mobility - Spring Attack
Has anyone else found this to be a worthy path or are there more effective ones, such as the TWF and Twin Sword Style (where is that btw?)

I ended up going with Weapon Finesse and Quicker than the Eye (hopefully that will be approved). I also dropped the Shandakaul's Boots which just ended up being too expensive for what they added. Instead I bought a little more magic protection.

There won't be many PHB races (or FRCS variants thereof) seen in this campaign, eh?

You got that right. While we can't play monsters, almost everyone is plane touched at least. I think we also have a half-drow. Should be an interesting mix.

I used Hero Forge and pdf'd him. I apologize that the first sheet is lower res. Took it into photoshop and didnt make it 300 dpi. Grrr.

Let me know what you think. I also quickly whipped up a little story for him. We are supposed to be starting out snowed in at an Inn. I went a little different and didn't do the whole life story thing. Its a little rough but gets the drift across.

Malachi.jpg

Malachi Graves - PDF

Malachi Graves - Story - Word

Remove ads