• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Man, I freakin' love these new Dungeon Tiles

mearls

Hero
Agamon said:
Hmmm. I use Tact-Tiles. Would these things work well in conjunction? I can certainly see getting use out of the prop peices, but the tiles, I'm not so sure. It says they're laminated. Can you draw on them with either wet-erase or dry-erase markers?

I used my set of Dungeon Tiles with a Steel Sqwire flip mat just last week. I was running an adventure from DCC #29, and there was a section of the dungeon that consisted of a rope bridge over a really big pool of water. I mapped out the passages and rooms around the pool with the tiles, then drew in the rope bridge and water.

In general, I find the tiles good for mapping out the standard rooms and passages the party runs into. It gives me more time to draw out the weird stuff that the tiles don't cover.

Turjan: These are not the same tiles as from the basic game. These are much more versatile. They consist of room and corridor pieces that you can piece together to form a really big room or a section of a dungeon. We described them as "2D dungeon Lego sets" on the inaugural D&D podcast at the WotC site, and I think that description fits rather well.

mearls

Hero
Blustar said:
Did they come with random dungeon rules? Am I to assume that these suckers are out already? Wher can I get these Dmless random dungeon rules I keep hearing about. (for instance, James Wyatt's site) Or are these just the dungeon delve rules using the the system from THe Miniatures Handbook?

I think James was using the delve rules from the minis handbook. I was too busy roleplaying my character's chaotic awesome alignment to ask. The tiles don't come with any rules, but I think the random dungeon rules are somewhere on the WotC web site.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I didn't notice until recently that TSR came out with dungeon tiles (or similar) back in 1st ed days. Is this kind of a throwback? Is anyone else seeing a trend? So far, seems like good products, though. :)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I positively LOVE my set of Dungeon Tiles. If I weren't so freakin' poor I'd buy me at least two more sets. They are truly beautiful, incredibly durable, and very easy to use. I still need my battlemap for the occassional "outdoor" encounter, but with these tiles, I can kiss my days of hand-drawing dungeons on maps goodbye. I have only used them in my campaign twice so far, but they are absolutely incredible.

Celeblas

First Post
I'm al little bit confused by the information given in WotC Product Catalogue and the one given in the Previews section. The Product Catalogue states there are sixes thiles inculded, while Mat Smith says something about 36 Tiles. So who's right in this case? :)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Jdvn1 said:
I didn't notice until recently that TSR came out with dungeon tiles (or similar) back in 1st ed days. Is this kind of a throwback? Is anyone else seeing a trend? So far, seems like good products, though. :)
Geomorphs! They were called "Geomorphs!"

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Celeblas said:
I'm al little bit confused by the information given in WotC Product Catalogue and the one given in the Previews section. The Product Catalogue states there are sixes thiles inculded, while Mat Smith says something about 36 Tiles. So who's right in this case? :)

There are six sheets, but four of the sheets have punch-out tiles.

Wizards posted pictures of the tiles recently:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ask

See the 08/23/2006 entry.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
From what I can gather:

Sheet A: 8"x10" tile (shop; blank room on back).
Sheet B: 8"x10" tile (inn; blank room on back).
Sheet C: 4"x4" (x4), 2"x4" (x2)
Sheet D: 4"x8"; 4"x4" (x2); 2"x4" (x2)
Sheet E: 1"x1"; 1"x2" (x4); 2"x2" (x3); 2"x4" (x4); 2"x8"
Sheet F: 1"x1"; 1"x2" (x4); 2"x2" (x3); 2"x4" (x4); 2"x8"

Totals:
8"x10" (2)
4"x8" (1)
4"x4" (6)
2"x8" (2)
2"x4" (16)
1"x2" (8)
1"x1" (2)