• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Manyshot & True Strike

Tharen the Damned

First Post
So, if I have cast True Strike and use the Manyshot Feat,
does the +20 bonus apply to ALL arrows or only to the FIRST?

As it is only ONE attack roll, it could well be applied to all arrows.

As these are more than one ATTACKS (but with only one roll for them), it could also only be for ONE arrow,

Your opinion?

Orm

Explorer
This should work. As DR and any resistances apply separately against each arrow, why shouldn´t each arrow benefit from the spell? The same goes for hunter´s mercy. Both count as one attack.

Orm

mikebr99

Explorer
Well, you can only be accurate enough to sneak attack with one of the arrows... So, why would this be spread over all the arrows?

Mike

MerakSpielman

First Post
I would rule that it applies only to one arrow, but I'm basing this entirely on how easy it is to uber-munchkin an archer as it is. Arrows definately don't need any more power.

Voodoo

First Post
The same question has to be asked with using ranged smite and manyshot or smite/true strike and greater flyby attack, any thoughts?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
I would rule that it applies only to one arrow, but I'm basing this entirely on how easy it is to uber-munchkin an archer as it is. Arrows definately don't need any more power.

Exactly!

One of my players has a love for maximising combat effectiveness (nothing wrong with that, mind you) but this combination or the ones mentioned by vodoo are on the other side.

manyshot said:
Benefit: As a standard action, you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. Both arrows use the same attack roll (with a –4 penalty) to determine success and deal damage normally (but see Special).
For every five points of base attack bonus you have above +6, you may add one additional arrow to this attack, to a maximum of four arrows at a base attack bonus of +16. However, each arrow after the second adds a cumulative –2 penalty on the attack roll (for a total penalty of –6 for three arrows and –8 for four).
Damage reduction and other resistances apply separately against each arrow fired.
Special: Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

true strike said:
You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

I don't see anything that would prevent it from working. True Strike only works on your next attack roll, and this next attack roll happens to be for multiple projectiles... Sure, it's one hell of a trick, but the character still needs 2 rounds to pull it off (unless he's using a quickened true strike).

AR

drunkmoogle

First Post
SRD said:
You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

Power Attack/True Strike.

Why shouldn't the archer have the same trick up his sleeve? It isn't exactly unbalanced, as tricks go.

Anyways, the true strike applies to all of the arrows, as it is one attack roll. True Strike doesn't care if that attack roll is a melee one, an opposed one, a ranged touch one, a ray, or a thrown cigarette.

unless he's using a quickened true strike
And that would lower his BaB, making his Manyshot even less effective.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads