• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Map making software

kdanger

First Post
Ok, I never really thought I was a dumb person until I tried using these map making software programs. Now first of all, I don't do anything in the way of photo editing, etc...so I have never used "layers" etc. Is there anything out there that is somthing simple to use and does not have such a dang learning curve? I am just curious. I would like to make a decent map but don't necessarily have the time to spend hours learning some software.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

froli

First Post
RPG Manager v1.7

If you need a software to easily create hexagon world maps, check out RPG Manager v1.7 at http://www.rpgmanager.net
It does a number of things, it is quite simple to use and most of all it's free.

Mainly you can:

- Create world hexagon maps.

- Create characters, creatures, spells, equipment, etc.

- Manage groups of players, movement, timeflow, weather, random encounters and other events, combat.

All in all it's a fair tool to keep track of your campaign.

D+1

First Post
When you say you have "tried these mapping programs" which are you talking about and how long have you tried? No matter what software you're using these things will not make the map FOR you. You still have to make the software do what you need and each has different ways that they go about that. Each has certain strengths and weaknesses, even different uses, but you STILL have to learn how to make them do what they do.

CC2 is what I use and it cannot be overstressed that you need to A) be sure it's updated to the most recent version (meaning you need to have actually purchased it and registered it) and that you need to do the tutorials that will teach you the basics of how to make it do what it does. You're not going to spend an hour with the manual, THEN sit down at the keyboard and an hour later have your game world completely mapped out.

Once you understand it because you've gotten hands-on experience you will find it far easier to do more.

As an example, while you may not be familiar with what layers are you REALLY need to understand what they're doing for you or you're just making it HARDER to get results.

Last edited:

Wurm1234

Explorer
Map Making Programs -- Dundjinni

Campaign Cartographer Pro is both exceptionally powerful and exceptionally complex. The newest versions, particularly the Castle pack, make it a much more approachable program, though it remains one that only rewards a great deal of effort. CC-Pro (newest version) can do any map making/cartographic chore you might have, but it doesn't do it quickly. At least I can't make it do anything quickly. It has a loyal user community that makes maps and macros available both at the profantasy site, as well as at the Yahoo Groups site. Macros make life a lot easier, and it is worth learning how to use them.

However, Fluid Software has recently produced a new map making program called Dundjinni, primarily intended to support RPG players. It is an amazing program. Quick to learn, one can have a simple map of a building or a small area ready in a couple of hours. It'll have more detail that CC-Pro ever dreamed of putting on a map, and you can output to battlemaps that are already scaled for miniatures. Dundjinni has some outstanding users who are regularly adding to the fairly rich set of objects that the program makes available. Check out the website at www.dundjinni.com. While I will keep Fractal Mapper and CC-Pro around, my map-making program of choice will be Dundjinni. It has a pretty good demo that will let you see how the program works. Give the tutorial a quick read (won't take too long), and jump in. Recommended.

Good luck.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There is a commentment to any software to learn it. CC-Pro is easy if you go through the turtorial. NBOS Fractal Mapper is not bad either. AutoRealms is free and has web sites to help out. Dundjinni is the new kid on the block and looks to be very good a floorplan maps.

There are others out there, MapperX (I think it is called) and some hex based mappers.

Most have demo you can download.

Host of Angels

First Post
Interesting - I have been looking at Dundjinni for a while now and trying to decide if it is worth shelling out for. I have Campaign Cartographer and I will agree with everything that has been said - very powerfull but not the easiest to pick up. You can easily spend hours, days and weeks creating maps with it. Very lovely and very time consuming.

But I no longer have that kind of time - so - what do people who have Dundjinni think? Is it up to scratch? Can you do large scale overland maps - or is it really just a battle map tool? And which of the several products is worth getting - has anyone looked at teh adventure making package?

Lastly, why could Fluid not have come up with a name that was easier to spell?

mattcolville

Adventurer
I hated the ProFantasy stuff for years after I bought it. I tried to use it every six months or so, and gave up after several hours.

Recently I spent the weekend with a single goal; learn this program. I finally got over the learning curve hump, and cannot recommend it enough.

People say "do the tutorials" but I didn't find them helpful.

Host of Angels

First Post
Did you have the hardcopy manuals? I have them and worked through all the examples and tutorials some time past - to great effect. One problem I have is that I don't need to use mapping software often and each time I come back to CC I have to refresh myself...

Cecil

First Post
As far as mapping programs go, my preference is Dundjinni (I am an avid supporter of the program and have produced several objects for use in the maps). I own or have used most mapping programs that I know of.

I found it very easy to use--very intuitive, and could put together a map fairly quickly. But be fair with yourself--Fluid offers a demo period. Download the demo and give it a shot.

However, there are some weaknesses. DJ is currently focussed on fantasy battle-maps, maps scaled to miniature use. This is great for designing dungeons or small settings such as a village. It is not as successful for campaign maps (at least not yet). It can also be very slow to print.

Knowing what I do now, I would still choose DJ as my platform of choice.

Remove ads