Maptools 4e Game seeks 1 Dedicated Player

Rechan

Adventurer
I run a D&D 4e game via Maptools and Ventrillo every other Saturday, 2pm-6pm EST.

I am seeking one reliable player who can be counted on to show up. Additionally, who will check the group's forum every other day or so, contributign to between-session play-by-post RP, or at least comment. I again seek a reliable person; we've had people drop, after missing sessions.

My group consists of five members at 3rd level, and a sixth PC wouldn't hurt. The breakdown of the PCs:

Dragonborn Paladin
Tiefling Warlock (Infernal)
Dwarven Shaman (Protection)

The group may have lost the Deva Cleric|Invoker Hybrid. He's been MIA for the last three+ weeks.

Personally I think the group could use another defender, or at least another character who can take a punch.

Tone and Your Character

The tone of the game is grim. The World is going to hell in a handbasket. Something is going wrong everywhere.

Thus, the PCs are Heroes, who are trying to stop it. The tone of the campaign is that there is no one to save the day, so the PCs are possibly the last or only shot at it. The Paladin, for instance, is on a quest to save his race from dieing out.

So I'd prefer your character to have 1) personal quests, so I can work them into the campaign, but 2) motivated to do something about what's going on in the world.

Required Tech

Maptools (A Virtual Tabletop program). Unfamiliarity with this is OK.

Ventrillo (A Voice Chat program). You'll need a functioning mic for this.

Before you start posting on the forums, before I mention your character to the other players, I want to ensure that you can connect/run these programs without any serious trouble. That way I don't introduce you, let you in, and then some technical flaw throw a wrench into it.

[Sblock=House Rules]

Change to To-Hit formula

Normally you determine your attack bonus this way:

Primary Ability Score + ½ level + Weapon Proficiency + Enhancement + Feat

I propose the following change:

5 + ½ Level + Weapon Proficiency + Enhancement + Non-Expertise Feat

+1 at levels 5, 11, 15, 21, 25.

Damage for an attack still depends on the primary score of the power used (such as 1[W]+Dex for a ranged basic attack).

[sblock=Why I do this]I implemented this rule for multiple reasons.

1) Due to the math of the system, you're highly encouraged to get your primary score as high as possible. A 16 in a primary score is sufficient, but you'll be missing a lot. This means that all of your stats are going to suffer because you just want to be able to compete. Now, you can relax a little, you have the assurance you have a strong chance of hitting without sweating about your stats, and your defenses aren't going to be one-sided.

2) Feat taxes. The formula takes into account Expertise. As well it takes into account Melee Training, so that a non-dex based class that uses ranged weapons now doesn't suck at a basic ranged attack.

3) Multi-classing. As it stands, if you have a high primary score and an OK secondary, you really should only multi-class into a class that uses your primary, or maybe your secondary. This way, you can multi-class into any class without fear that you'll never even hit with a swapped out power.

4) Fluff. I dislike how there's a habit to just pick the best race/class combo, and that's it. I like to see classes more diverse, AND I dislike fluff that doesn't go with the race/class combo. Chaos sorcerers are best with halflings and drow, stat wise - but there's nothing about those two races that says "Chaos sorcerer". So I want to make it more attractive to play a non-perfect race/class combo.[/sblock]

Power Stunts

Some times you want to do something very cool, that fits in line with your character's theme, but there isn't a rule for it. Such as a druid causing roots to spring out of the side of a cliff, aiding in climbing, or a Priest of Moradin causing a cave in to halt the retreat of enemies.

To do this, you must spend an Action Point + a Healing Surge. This gives you the opportunity to do something badass. You still have to roll an attack or skill check (whichever better represents it). A normal Power Stunt is on par with the power of an Encounter. You may also modify an Encounter power - making it effect more targets, etc. A modified Encounter power can be no more powerful than a Daily. A Daily can be modified, but it must be within reason (and my have drawbacks). What's kosher is up to DM.

Recharge

If you miss with an Encounter, you roll a d6 at the beginning of your turn; if you roll a 5 or 6, it recharges. If you miss with a Daily, you roll a d6 at the beginning of your turn; if you roll a 6, it recharges. Only one power can be recharged on a roll at a time.

If you want to recharge a power with a "Miss" or "Effect", then you must choose to not benefit from these effects when you miss the first time (in other words, the action you use your daily on is just lost, nothing happened).

Raising
Coming back from the dead is hard. The Raise Dead ritual doesn't work. To come back from the dead, your soul must be pursued into the Shadowfell and brought back. Which has its own repercussions. Or other means, used by beings beyond you, might bring you back. Regardless, the notion is that death is for the most part final, unless there is a plot based way of getting you out of death, or you're REALLY attached to your character..

Misc

Milestones (Which are necessary to gain Action Points) are not related to every two fights, but occur when something significant is achieved. Such as stopping an enemy's ritual mid battle, or removing unhallowed ground, etc. Other opportunities for gaining Action Points will occur.

At level 1, everyone receives a free racial feat.

Against Solo Monsters, Stun = Loss of a Standard Action, Daze = Loss of a minor.

Sure Strike/Careful Attack - Add following. Effect: You gain a +2 on the next attack you make.

Crafting will be handled with a skill challenge.

Other, smaller rules don't need to be outlined now (fiddling with rituals, certain items or powers retooled, etc), this is just a general overview of the biggest changes. For instance, Revenants get two free racial feats instead of one, because I think the Revenant stats are poor.[/sblock]
Races

Common races in the setting:
Humans
Dwarves
Dragonborn
Tieflings

Everything else is Rare. Meaning that you are one of a kind, or something New, or something Old. Or you can reskin the mechanics for anything else.

You can play anything else, it's merely that I want to integrate your race/character into the setting.

Allowed Sources

Anything, within reason. I'm very excited about everything coming out of WotC, and I have DDi. I've allowed a Revenant assassin before.

Last edited:

Satyesu

First Post
dibsing as i finish reading your post...
edit: if you don't mind a 4e newb (though I played 3.25 for 6 years), i'd love to join.
edit: unfortunately i've never used maptools, but if familiarity with openrpg helps, i do have that.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Rechan,

I might be interested also. I'll talk it over with the other half to ensure there won't be issues with the scheduled times. It shouldn't be a major issue, but definitely don't want to waste your time. I've used Maptools/Ventrillo for a game that died after 3 sessions. Was super disappointed and haven't tried again. This alternating weekends would better fit my schedule than a weekly game. I'll let you know.

thanks,
renau1g

Caragaran

First Post
Hi,

I would be interested in playing but I arent sure how linking up from the UK would work. I would at least like to try and see how it goes. I have vent, haven't used maptools but have heard about it and have some well developed characters I could pay that would fit in to the group(well developed in the sense I have roleplayed them before and they have thier own personality). Oh I have been roleplaying off and on for 20+ years.:D

Remove ads