March A new character month?

Kallikrates

First Post
I created my new character. Who will be the first to spot him/her?
Hopefully I won't have to cause a scene to get noticed.

Because I'm usually not good at causing scenes.

fowai_uss

First Post
Well, as it is, I don't play as often as I used to. I am intrigued with the idea of stepping out of our comfort zones and creating new out-of-the-norm characters. Unfortunately, I think I fall into the same category as Rajak on this issue. If any of you have ever seen Fowai at play (which is always...I haven't seen him at 'work' yet), then you know that he not only fits the 'out-of-the-norm' category, he personifies it. I will admit that it might be interesting to come up with a new character and not reveal the identity of the player as myself, but then again, I don't really want to have to wrack my brain coming up with a personality for said character. Fowai's personality developed as I played him, and he ended up becoming the personification of a certain aspect of my personality. I'm rather proud of him for his way of causing other characters to wonder what he's been smoking and where can they get their hands on some while giving the players of said characters a good laugh. And, if the whole 'most people can guess the player due to the mannerisms' is true, I ask you...do you really want another Fowai unleashed upon the unsuspecting public? I say yes, but most of you are sane and thus would say no. I suppose I could attempt personifying another aspect of my personality, but Fowai embodies (in my opinion) my best aspect...insanity :D

Lince'sa

First Post
I'm calling your bluffs

so far every time I've logged into the site with a character and hung around waiting for people to follow suit and come in to RP I've found, MAYBE one other person at time enter, the tavern is still full. I'm not condeming them for wanting to play in the setting they are established in, I would like like to see WHO is interested in establishing characters in the OTHER settings.

People seem to like to play characters that are not in the CoC for the tavern IN the tavern, or would be against the CoC, save for the stipulation that they are disguised. truely if you enjoy playing your characters that way, keep them there. Keep in mind that flashing fangs, having glowing eyes, or turning into anything in the tavern, garden, and I BELIVE the clearing as well (please, magi, correct me if I'm wrong), is against the CoC, but the magi are kind and understanding and prefer to warn people than action them, but if you do enjoying doing it, please move them to the appropriate room and let us know, we will support you, and your friends' or enemies' players I am reasonably certain will be happy to follow you there or help you RP there as best they can.

If you want to make a NEW character for the setting, please feel free to do that and let us know so we can help with other character to get your new character and his/her personality worked out, established, and enjoyable for you. You don't have to tell us WHO your new character is if you dont' want to, just that you plan to make one.

This thread is about populating the other rooms, so lets stop talking about it and DO it.

Maybe the rooms to need to be reworked, maybe they aren't accomidating to the players, I am sure the Magi responsible for making the rooms worked very hard to describe the setting for each room, but maybe we led them down the wrong path as to what we were looking for.

For example, I'llk be the first one to suffer by hurting the feeling of the magi. forgive me for this I'm trying to be constructive. The Cage, when I said it is was going to be a great place to go to, I envisioned a tavern made of stone with dimly lit corners to hide in, stone tables that could take some greater beating. but I expected the tavern to be one that started out as a reputable establishment that has fallen into this rough state. Rather like a major city succumbs to gangs and other crime as its good people leave to find less crowded places, leaving the ciminals and less savory people to den themselves in the abandoned buildings and claim lordship over their territory, areas of LA, New York, Detroit and such as examples, minus the spray paint and other modern graffiti).

My characters, from what I envision when I see THIS tavern is a grated sespool that looks similar to a sewer with who knows what waste sluding by underneath. this could keep the people that like to play, for example, a paladin from entering this place, Paladins don't like to associate with evil, or get too dirty. The grated floor would be difficult for smaller folk from entering and moving about, it would limit their mobilty because of the uneasy terrain.

My suggestions, keep the majority of the tavern as is, it's a good place to start, cover the grating with wooden planks, these would be easier to clean than scrubbing the grating of the tavern every so often, and would bring in more customers (more profit), this would also mean better storylines and better interaction. Or make it a stone floor with a slightly dished shape that would allow the blood... I mean beer and other drinks... to flow into it. Keep the trapdoor, the bodies... I mean the trash needs to be disposed of somewhere. Maybe loose the cages of people hanging from the ceiling? the smell of rotton patrons would make me loose my appetite, and I'd spend less money. the Razorwire is too obvious, trap the till to gas people or implale them then drop them into the that sewer beneath the tavern, the infection from the sewer should be enough to get them to learn their lesson as they sweat out the fever, if they don't make it... well no big loss there. Move the cage golem to the cage, and give him some nonalcoholic drinks, not everyone is a heavy drinker, half of my characters drink socially or not at all.

The Bazzar doesn't need a golem. the whole thing is a market, I'm sure there are bakers, fishers, fruit vendors, and butchers selling their wares. People convieve of there being weapon shops and clothing shops, would this be any different? Would it be hard to conceive that some entrapanuerial half-drow female with a big tatoo on her back could bring in some helpers and strike a deal the vendors to showcase their goods if they donate a portion to her to prepare meals that show how good there food truely is? After all it helps them advertise. If nothing else she can secure a discounted price?

Yes, Endolyn is out of her temporary retirement and has been spotted in Sigil with a work force. Anyone that would like to make a character IN that work force please find me in site. This is my contibultion to establishing new characters with a means making a living.

I hope I did not offend the Magi by my suggestions, I am merely trying to perhaps shed light on why the Bazzar and cage are rarely populated.

Lin

Nugan

First Post
Merle said:
We <i>so</i> need the Redeemers back. They were great villains

I miss them.

My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I thought the issue with the Redeemers was that the player who created them left the site and no one had obtained permission to revive them in his absense (or he has explicitly denied others permission to play them).

I think this occured years ago, and I haven't been around for over two years, so this very well may have changed, but I thought that was where things stood when I last heard.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
I'll take this one item at a time.

Lince'sa said:
Keep in mind that flashing fangs, having glowing eyes, or turning into anything in the tavern, garden, and I BELIVE the clearing as well (please, magi, correct me if I'm wrong), is against the CoC
Yes, people are allowed to change into their most effective combat form in the Clearing only. No more than the barest glimpse of a partial change is allowed in the Tavern or Garden, even when getting ready for combat. If you RP anything in the Clearing before or after the actual combat (which, by the way, should be limited at best: this is a combat room) you should include transforming from/to "normal" form.

but the magi are kind and understanding and prefer to warn people than action them
A regular warning is an action. Three warnings, and you lose all characters currently registered to you. We do also give "soft" warnings, but these are usually limited to people who really didn't know they were breaking the rules.

For example, I'll be the first one to suffer by hurting the feeling of the magi. forgive me for this I'm trying to be constructive.
You're easily forgiven and magi feelings aren't easily hurt, lol!

The Cage, when I said it is was going to be a great place to go to, I envisioned a tavern made of stone with dimly lit corners to hide in, stone tables that could take some greater beating. but I expected the tavern to be one that started out as a reputable establishment that has fallen into this rough state. Rather like a major city succumbs to gangs and other crime as its good people leave to find less crowded places, leaving the ciminals and less savory people to den themselves in the abandoned buildings and claim lordship over their territory, areas of LA, New York, Detroit and such as examples, minus the spray paint and other modern graffiti).

My characters, from what I envision when I see THIS tavern is a grated sespool that looks similar to a sewer with who knows what waste sluding by underneath. this could keep the people that like to play, for example, a paladin from entering this place, Paladins don't like to associate with evil, or get too dirty. The grated floor would be difficult for smaller folk from entering and moving about, it would limit their mobilty because of the uneasy terrain.
You're right, the Cage isn't a place for a paladin to hang out. The general tone of the suggestions given at the time was that others wanted a nasty, gritty place where they wouldn't be likely to encounter a paladin. The grating on the floor has narrow openings no more than 1/2" wide between heavy metal strips. The floor is grungy enough that it's not slippery. So it's not wire, not overly flexible, and any halfling or gnomes or similar sized shouldn't have a problem. Maybe fae.

My suggestions, keep the majority of the tavern as is, it's a good place to start, cover the grating with wooden planks, these would be easier to clean than scrubbing the grating of the tavern every so often,
Uh, have you ever tried cleaning bloodstains from wood?

and would bring in more customers (more profit), this would also mean better storylines and better interaction. Or make it a stone floor with a slightly dished shape that would allow the blood... I mean beer and other drinks... to flow into it. Keep the trapdoor, the bodies... I mean the trash needs to be disposed of somewhere. Maybe loose the cages of people hanging from the ceiling? the smell of rotton patrons would make me loose my appetite, and I'd spend less money. the Razorwire is too obvious, trap the till to gas people or implale them then drop them into the that sewer beneath the tavern, the infection from the sewer should be enough to get them to learn their lesson as they sweat out the fever, if they don't make it... well no big loss there. Move the cage golem to the cage, and give him some nonalcoholic drinks, not everyone is a heavy drinker, half of my characters drink socially or not at all.
I'll add some nonalcoholic drinks. For the rest, I'm not sure you understand the atmosphere intended. The Cage doesn't make a profit on food or drink or patrons ordering either. It makes money off its cut on the illegal activities going on there. They don't want to attract a better sort of clientele. Those sorts can eat and drink at the Bazaar.

The Bazzar doesn't need a golem. the whole thing is a market, I'm sure there are bakers, fishers, fruit vendors, and butchers selling their wares. People convieve of there being weapon shops and clothing shops, would this be any different? Would it be hard to conceive that some entrapanuerial half-drow female with a big tatoo on her back could bring in some helpers and strike a deal the vendors to showcase their goods if they donate a portion to her to prepare meals that show how good there food truely is? After all it helps them advertise. If nothing else she can secure a discounted price?
ISRP patrons seem to prefer having a bot available to offer them their items rather than RPing it. You're welcome to set up shops and food stands and any other sort of activity in the Bazaar. Will you be there 24/7? Of course not. But if someone is serious about it, including setting up a description and menu on the message boards so others can reference it, then I'm more than willing to adjust the golem's menu so that the two don't compete.

Yes, Endolyn is out of her temporary retirement and has been spotted in Sigil with a work force. Anyone that would like to make a character IN that work force please find me in site. This is my contibultion to establishing new characters with a means making a living.

I hope I did not offend the Magi by my suggestions, I am merely trying to perhaps shed light on why the Bazzar and cage are rarely populated.

Lin
No offense taken, and it's good to see you back!

Lince'sa

First Post
I'll be coming up with a menu sooner or later, right now going through the trouble to RP BUILDING the place. But Rest Assured! the Famos Drow Mushroom Soup will be on it!. Large firm mushrooms, marinated in onion juices and encrusted with a fine variety of spices, then flash cooked in boiling water to seat in the flavor! MMM MMM MMM!

Merle

First Post
Not to hijack the topic, but . . .

Magi_Trelian said:
Uh, have you ever tried cleaning bloodstains from wood?

Do I want to know the breadth and depth of your knowledge on the topic? ;)

Merle's player

Last edited:

Remove ads