D&D General March Madness 2024 - Round 2 - Martials

Choose your favorite 4 classes from this list.

• Fighter

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Swordmage

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Warlord

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Paladin

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Monk

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Rogue

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Poll closed .

Yaarel

He Mage
That is the strangest spelling of "Warlord" I have ever seen!
Heh. Warlock is a late comer to 3e, same time as the 3e Psion. Neither shined within 4e because of the mechanics consolidations.

5e went with Warlock but omitted Psion. A disappointing loss.

The psionic power source is around since the origin of D&D.

The Psion deserves to be in the core Players Handbook.

Notably, the Warlock has the best mechanics of all 5e classes. I hope the designers have these mechanics in mind for other classes as well.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Notably, the Warlock has the best mechanics of all 5e classes. I hope the designers have these mechanics in mind for other classes as well.

Your spelling still gets me. I can't find anything in google translate that takes "best" to mean "worst" ;-)

But seriously, I know at least one of the players in the game I'm running for my son loves the Warlock.

Yaarel

He Mage
The psionic power source became part of D&D in 1976.

Psionic is almost 50 years old.

We will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of psionic in year 2026.

I want to see the Psion in 2024.

The Psion belongs in core, in the Players Handbook.

who even is voting ranger it feels like the class most in need of being taken back to before the drawing board, I could fix monk faster
I voted for the 5e Ranger. I am currently playing a 6th-level Bugbear Ranger (Gloom Stalker)/1st-level Rogue. I currently have two of the optional Ranger features from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Favored Foe, Deft Explorer.

Yaarel

He Mage
Your spelling still gets me. I can't find anything in google translate that takes "best" to mean "worst" ;-)

But seriously, I know at least one of the players in the game I'm running for my son loves the Warlock.
The reason I value the Warlock mechanics is several.

The Warlock is a full caster, because, it gains normal access to the highest tier spells, slots 8 and 9 at the correct levels.

At the same time, the Short Rest refresh keeps the number of spells few at any one time. So, it cant "nova" to trivialize an encounter, and there is real risk if it tries.

Because of this Short Rest refresh it balances better with the always-on martial classes, despite being a full caster.

Meanwhile, the "invocations" design space is ad hoc class features that the player can choose to customize the character concept. So each caster can feel unique.

And it is easier to design martial class features with the Short Rest flavor in mind − "I need to catch my breath", "need to vege", "get my bearings", "get something to eat". Thus the martial classes can have features that actually stay pace with the caster classes.

The Warlock mechanics is for the many reasons better for the D&D 5e game engine overall. The Warlock mechanics make the Long Rest casters obsolete.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
The Warlock mechanics is for the many reasons better for the D&D 5e game engine overall. The Warlock mechanics make the Long Rest casters obsolete.
I mostly agree but with only 2 spell slots before you have to beg your party for a nap, Warlock has the worst and most frustrating mechanics in the game. It may play out fine at higher levels, but at the levels people actually play at, it's all wasted potential

Yaarel

He Mage
I mostly agree but with only 2 spell slots before you have to beg your party for a nap, Warlock has the worst and most frustrating mechanics in the game. It may play out fine at higher levels, but at the levels people actually play at, it's all wasted potential
Sure. But if the Wizard ALSO can only use Short Rest to refresh spells? You know that nap will happen.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Haven't we all known before we even started that Wizard is going to win? (I'm not saying that I want Wizards to win - I don't. But c'mon, we know that it will. Wizards Always Win.)

Remove ads