[March] What are you reading?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Listening to Iron Druid #6.

Reading Quantum Thief, and The Power of Habit.

Next on my list are Quiet: The Power of Introverts, and The Golem and the Jinni.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Listening to Iron Druid #6.

Reading Quantum Thief, and The Power of Habit.

Next on my list are Quiet: The Power of Introverts, and The Golem and the Jinni.

Iron Druid was serviceable, Quantum Thief was quite good, Power of Habit was good until the end when I realized there wasn't going to be much about practical application.

I did not stick with Quiet. Golem and Jinni is very good so far.

I have a lot to pick from for my next audiobook. I'm going to attempt Sisterhood of Dune but I have doubts that it will do the trick. Considering Side Jobs (Dresden Files short story collection) instead.

Nellisir

Hero
OK, I'm like 5 pages into Baudolino and it's great so far.

On a different note, though, has anyone read The Darkness That Comes Before by R Scott Bakker, and if so, what did you think of it? I have it, but it's not immediately appealing and looking it up, it's apparently book 1 of a trilogy that is itself part 1 of a 3 part set (two trilogies and a duology).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finally finished Republic of Thieves in the Locke lamora series......very good. Better than I recall the second book being.

EricNoah

Adventurer
OK, I'm like 5 pages into Baudolino and it's great so far.

Ooh, one of those books I saw at the public library once and thought "I should read that soon" and then promptly forgot about it for years. Thanks for the reminder! I read The Prague Cemetery a couple of years ago and greatly enjoyed it. I also muddled my way through Focault's Pendulum; and The Name of the Rose is one of my all-time favorites.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have just started Dirty Streets of Heaven, by Tad Williams. Williams might be best known for some ofhis more epic works, liek the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series, in which he essentially rewrites the Lord of the Rings for more modern sensibilities.

It is only in Dirty Streets of Heaven, however, that I have learned Williams' range of writing. It is, for lack of a better term, in a completely different "voice" than other work of his that I've read. Still well-written, in general, but is sounds and feels quite different. It is refreshing to see an author stretch into different styles like this.

For the curious - Dirty Streets is basically a noir detective story, but the main character is an angel.

Remove ads