• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Married with Children and D&D

tmaaas

First Post
I was just reflecting on my current group. At the moment, it consists of 3 1/2 couples . . . until my best friend's wife joins (they just had their first child less than two months ago), then we'll have four couples. All with children.

While I would think this is somewhat unusual, with the teens of the early eighties now in their thirties we can't be alone.

What's your group like?

(No, we're not discriminating against singles, etc. We actually got together via a post on the Enworlds gamers forum not long ago.)

-tmaaas

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm an 18 year old college student who is currently trying to start up a group that I pre-recruited from Enworld. All of them are older than me, except my friend Phil who is about 2 days younger than me. 18, 18, 24ish, 25ish, 26ish, 27ish... strange setup if you ask me. I'll have to try it out. If it doesn't work out too well (conflicting gaming or even lifestyles), I'll just have to default to training the local computer science nerds to follow the way of the core rulebooks.

My old group was a bunch of people my age, and there was always at least one person a year or so younger.

Harlock

First Post
My current group consists of 3 couples. 2 couples are married folks and one couple is engaged. One couple (me and my wife) have one child and will soon be working on a second (if I don't post for a week or two, just know I am happy). The other married couple have a baby on the way in 7 or so months. The engaged couple is getting married in March and have no plans for children at this time. The kids are welcome. We've got things for them to do when they are old enough to be interested. Otherwise they're likely to nap. House is babyproofed already and we always game here at my place, so it's all good. And so far, the pregnant one has not hurt anyone! ;)

egarvue

First Post
I'm the oldest in my group at 35, the youngest is 21. I'm one of two that are married with children. I know many my age with children (or are at least married) who are D&D players, many more than you'd expect.

My main problem is finding the time to play; I get one day a week and that's it. While I was at GenCon, I was talking to a guy at the Avalanche Press booth, and he said that its been his experience that the older your kids get, the more game time you'll have, because they'll have their own friends and activities, unlike when they're babies (mine are 4, 2, and 1 right now, I'm grooming them to be future gamer grrls). He told me that his company has a lot of customers that he calls "gentlemen gamers", wargaming guys in their 50's and 60's, who got into the wargames in the 70's. Since many are retired or semi-retired, they spend hundreds of dollars on each order, he said it was nothing for these guys to drop $500 every couple of months on just wargames. I love my kids, but I look forward to the day when I get a little more game time in.

Heck, I'll be playing D&D in the nursing home :D

DaveStebbins

First Post
Let's see.

One couple in their early thirties, with a 7 or 8 year old son.

Two divorced guys, one mid-to-late thirties, one early forties, each with a daughter in the 10-13 age range.

Three married guys in their mid-thrities who have to get their wives' permission to game. Two have a girl and a boy (13 and 11, and 8 and 6) and the third has a daughter who's about 15 months old now.

I'm the geezer.
-Dave

GILGAMESH

First Post
In my group there is one married couple ( we game at their home), three married guys and one single guy (I',m one of the married ones). The couple and our gracious host have two beautiful children,boy and girl. The other married guy has a beautiful boy, and my self, I have two beautiful daughters, one 13 going on 21 the other a year and a half, pretty close in age with the other childern except for "Sir Sammy" he's 4 I believe.
The other married guy just got married (again CONGRATULATION!!) and have yet started a "family".

I am the oldest in the group. A kermudgeun of 37, the youngest I believe is 26-27.

And no, I don't need my wifes approval to go out and play on a fridaynight..... lucky me.

Last edited:

Zulithe

Explorer
my group consists of 3 couples (1 couple just had their first baby, one couple sadly just had a miscarriage... and the third couple are only recently a 'couple'), a 14yo brother of the father of the newborn, and me a 22yo single guy!

Marimmar

First Post
We have three couples and two players that are engaged outside the game. One of them will marry this weekend and is already expecting his first child. He'll be the first father in our group. As we're all around 30 it's probable that others will follow in his steps in the next couple of years. As for my person, I'm engaged with a wonderful woman that also loves playing 'the game.'

~Marimmar

MEG Hal

First Post
We have an older group but I am we have 2 of us with kids and I am divorced, we play at my house on the weekends I do not have my kiddies, but we are not playing this weekend due to the holiday and my lady friend (who games) is visiting.

As we get older we tend to have more enjoyment gaming because we understand the importance of "free time".

Remove ads