Martial Exploits - Trip, Disarm, and Sunder

Sssaasz

First Post
Comments, questions. Or better yet, suggestions?

Whell, I made some minor changes in the unbalanced condition and add some things to the powers.
In spirits it's still the same excelent idea you have come with (Tanx a lot :D)

Unbalanced Condition

A character who is unbalanced is a little slower to react, and a little slower on the offensive, as well. Perhaps he's standing on a floor covered in oil, caltrops, cockroaches, scorpions etc. and attempting to keep his footing, or perhaps he's recovering from a blow that nearly caught him, but still managed to throw him back a moment.

Unbalanced

• You take a -1 penalty to attack rolls and to all defenses.
  • You canot gain the benefit of combat advantage for being flanking an enemy.
A character who is unbalanced can spend a minor action on his turn to regain his composure and removing the condition. Other way, a character who is unbalanced regains his balance and loses tha unbalanced condition at the start of his next turn.

[FONT=&quot]Gaining the Unbalanced Condition[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A character is unbalanced if he rolls a natural 1, "Botchea", on an attack roll, or check. If a character makes multiple attack rolls as part of a single attack for the prupouse of making an area attack, only a natural 1 on the first roll can cause him to become unbalanced.[/FONT] If the character makes multiple atack rolls for the prupose of a power that makes more than one attack (some rogue, battle mind and ranger powers for exaple), he becomes unbalanced if he rolls a natural 1 on any of the attacks. The penalties are take on count from the moment the character Botchea, for that point in advance, not in a retroactive manner.[FONT=&quot]
A character may also become unbalanced as a result of powers or maneuvers used against him that sucseed on making him unbalanced.

[/FONT]

New Combat Maneuvers

Minor Feint
[FONT=&quot]You make an attack with no intent to follow through, solely to throw your opponent off-balance.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Bluff vs. Will
Hit: The target gains the unbalanced condition
Miss: The target can make an opportunity attack agains you.

Disarm
[FONT=&quot]Taking advantage of your foe's temporary distraction, you attempt to wrest away his weapon.[/FONT]

Target: One creature suffering from the unbalanced condition
Attack: Strenght vs. the highest defense of the target between Fortitude or Reflex
Hit: One object held by the target is dropped. If your disarm atempt was made with an unarmed attack, you may choose to be holding the object now. Otherwise, it falls 1d4 squares away from the target, in a direction of your choice.
Miss: The target can make an opportunity attack agains you

Special: Any bonuses the target might had have, garanted by the item, such as attack and damages rolls, specific item powers as bonuses to his defenses are lost. The powers that the target might had that uses the weapon descriptor, or uses the former item as an implement, suffer a penalty on the attacks and damages rolls of -2, regardless of the enhacement of the item lost and a [-1w] damage. If the target have a weapon apropriate to substitute for the one lost, he can do so and take no penalty, if not recalculate as apropriate.

Aclaration: Normaly,retrieving an object from the ground is a minor action and you might be in the same or in a square adjacent to the object to can do so.

Sunder
[FONT=&quot]Some times destroing your opponent's tools is the surest way to victory... And he wouldn't expect that of a looter like you, so take advantage.[/FONT]

Target: One object held or worn by a creature suffering from the unbalanced condition
Attack: Primary hability vs.AC
Hit: 1 [W] + Primary hability modifier damage, and if you efectively make damage to one object carried by your opponent, your opponent takes some penalties depending on the object you hitt. If it was a weapon or implement, any attack the target made with it takes a -1 penalty for each attack that delivers damage to the object (to a maximum penalty of -3). If it was an armor, shield, or any object that garants a bonus to his defenses it takes a -1 penalty for each attack that delivers damage to the object (to a maximum penalty of -3)

Miss: The target can make an opportunity attack agains you

Special:
The penalties last until the object is repaired. Any object that recived damage 3 times is considered broken. For the propose of selling sutch an item you drop his market price to 20% of his original valor. All objects are considered to have resist all 5 for the prupose of recieving damage for this attack, and Magical items may add 5 for that resistance for each enchantment bonus the item may have. Potions and similar fragile items at the DM aprovall are destroyed with one succesfull hitt.

Aclaration: the object you target could be your opponent's carried weapon, shield or implement; worn armor, bracer, colar, pendant, Ioun stone, circlet, potion etc. and any object the DM aproves for the propose of this power.

Best Regaardsz
Sssaasz

Camelot

Adventurer
Why not just use combat advantage instead of making "unbalanced?" It seems that most of those situations (standing on a slippery floor, fumbling) already cause you to grant combat advantage, so another -1 to defenses isn't necessary.

Stalker0

Legend
Why not just use combat advantage instead of making "unbalanced?" It seems that most of those situations (standing on a slippery floor, fumbling) already cause you to grant combat advantage, so another -1 to defenses isn't necessary.

I would suggest this as well. No need to add a new modifier when CA does the job for you.

Unbalanced:
The target cannot flank.
The target grants combat advantage.

Oh and for fun, why not add: Forced movement against the target increases by 1 square (again to increase the tactics that can be applied to the creature).

Here are my suggestions:

1) Minor Feint - Change the name. I don't have a problem with the mechanics, but everytime I hear minor feint in my mind I think its a minor action.

2) Perhaps add natural 20's as a way to increase the condition.
Unbalanced - a creature is unbalanced when it rolls a 1 on an attack roll or is hit with a natural 20 from an attack. When dealing with multiple attacks, in both cases, only the first attack applies.

3) Right now disarm feels a lot stronger than sunder. A -1 to attack rolls all encounter can be useful...but disarm can murder the targets offense if you do it well.

I like the sunder mechanic, I don't like the disarm one. What is disarm wasn't true disarm, but just loosened the guys grip on his weapon?

Disarm - Your attack weakens an opponents attack on his weapon. He receives a -2 to weapon attack rolls to until the end of his next turn.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Here's a good way of thinking about it.

Let's say I sunder an opponent's weapon using your rules, giving them -1 to attacks for the rest of the encounter. Assuming they used to hit 50% of the time, they now hit 45% of the time. Thus I have reduced their damage output by 10%.

If I instead hit him with a regular attack and took away 10% of their hit points, that would have reduced his expected survival time by 10%, thus also reducing their expected damage output for the rest of the encounter by 10%.

Why not stop right there and say "disarming my opponent is purely flavour for dealing hit point damage".

Because so does
surprising your opponent
being a rogue and acting before them
flanking them

and a host of other things. In fact rogues are more-or-less expected to have CA every single round against whomever they attack and that's been my experience while playing one.

Last edited:

ren1999

First Post
Nice work. But what class level would a character be in order to be able to learn these martial exploits? Here are some other suggestions.

Feint Attack
available at 3rd level
You fake an attack to unbalance your foe for your standard attack.
at-will minor action melee attack
target one foe
charisma versus will
hit gives you combat advantage +2 on your standard attack and the foe can’t flank.
at-will standard action melee attack
target one foe’s weapon
strength or dexterity versus fortitude or reflex
hit disarms one targeted weapon which falls 1d4 squares away.
at-will standard action melee attack
target one foe’s weapon
strength versus reflex
hit reduces weapon attack and damage -1/maximum -3 and reduces the weapon value by 10%/maximum -30% value
The power level of your magical weapon or your class level must be greater than the power level of the magical weapon you are trying to sunder.

Last edited:

Mythlore

First Post
My theory on "Disarmed" should be that it is a condition, as well, and that it should encompass something like "deals minimum weapon [W] damage". So, 1d12+6 turns into 7, with no variance up to 18. Treat all damage as sort of the reverse of brutal: treat all weapon damage dice as though you rolled a 1. Simplification, minimizing damage, and it's still recoverable. If it's a dragon's claw or talon, you might have to re-skin the name of the condition, but you could effectively cause damage enough to make their attack nullified.

Daern

Explorer
I like these being at-will exploits. Here's my version:
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trip, Disarm, and Sunder are At-Will combat options. The target must be granting combat advantage. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trip: Melee -2 vs Reflex; target is knocked prone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Disarm: Melee -4 vs Fortitude or Reflex(whichever is higher); target is weakened (save ends). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sunder: Melee -2 vs Fortitude; target is -1 AC. Penalties stack and continue until the damaged armor or shield is repaired.[/FONT]
My take on these is that the combat advantage requirement makes it easy enough to make these available, but the penalties to hit discourage their casual use (and the lack of damage). I reckon that attacking an enemy's weapon is disarming, whether you are trying to break it or take it away. I think Sunder would mostly be a tactic against Soldiers.

Remove ads