• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Monk and pre requisites

Binho

First Post
Hi guys, long time no see.
I was wondering :hmm:, the martial monk alternative feature in Dragon Magazine 310 (i guess) let you choose the monk's bonus feat from the fighter's list. The bonus feat of monk does not need to fulfill the prerequisites. So what happens if I take the feat Rapid Blitz without Spring Attack and Bounding Assault?
Thanks in advance.:)

Binho

First Post
hahahahahahaha
Seriously, the rapid blitz has high requirements, without some way to get it earlier, it is almost useless. Also, rapid blitz is just an example. The same thing can happen with other feats that have prerequisites. So, anyone knows some official answer or at least an opinion about what would happen?

Wyvernhand

First Post
The official answer is that your DM smacks you upside the head.

About the best interpretation you'll find is that the only feats that don't require prereqs are those that are fixed (or choices from a fixed list). Open ended bonus feats NEVER include that caveat.

If you try to argue it with your DM, I wouldn't be surprised if you get hit by the pointy end of the DMG. And frankly, you'd deserve it. Monks need a fix, but that is NOT it.

Sekhmet

First Post
Rapid Blitz gives you an additional Spring Attack hit. Without Spring Attack, it is useless.
Better to use your requisite free feats on epic feats, I'm sure.

Binho

First Post
Rapid Blitz gives you an additional Spring Attack hit. Without Spring Attack, it is useless.
Better to use your requisite free feats on epic feats, I'm sure.

I've never thought about epic feats! That is really an interesting idea. I'll note it to provoke my DM when i need to :p

The official answer is that your DM smacks you upside the head.

About the best interpretation you'll find is that the only feats that don't require prereqs are those that are fixed (or choices from a fixed list). Open ended bonus feats NEVER include that caveat.

If you try to argue it with your DM, I wouldn't be surprised if you get hit by the pointy end of the DMG. And frankly, you'd deserve it. Monks need a fix, but that is NOT it.

So guys, you wouldn't allow an build like this if you were the DM:

martial monk 1: bonus feat » spring attack
martial monk 2: bonus feat » bounding attack
martial monk 6: bonus feat » rapid blitz
???

The article of DR#310 is an interesting way to make the monk better and to add versatility to a weak class. That is not just way to "cheat" the game. Obviously, some people can think about weird combinations just to make it stronger, but that is not my goal.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=6674967]Binho[/MENTION] It should have been noted that I agree with the other two; requisite-free feats should be very, very tightly controlled to prevent catastrophic system failure.

Binho

First Post
@Binho It should have been noted that I agree with the other two; requisite-free feats should be very, very tightly controlled to prevent catastrophic system failure.

I got that. I was just joking

Actually, I agree with you that the list of requisite-free feats should be controlled. That's why players need DM's approval.
But I do think that some feats are amazing and the prerequisites make it useless. Let's see the rapid blitz: you need dodge, mobility, spring attack, bounding attack and BAB 18+. A monk (a class that suits perfectly this kind of combat) would never even dream of the rapid blitz feat.
On the other hand a fighter would not be likely to take rapid blitz because of all this requirements.
That isn't just about fix the monk, but fixing some feats too.

Last edited:

If (and that's a big if) I were to allow this alternate ability that lets you take feats without prerequisites, I would only allow it as follows:

For the bonus feats at first and second level, you may ignore ability score prerequisites only. You must still meet all feat, BAB, and other prerequisites. For the bonus feat at sixth level, you may ignore ability score prerequisites and one feat prerequisite, but must meet BAB prerequisites and multiple feat prerequisites.

For example, if a monk wanted to take Spring Attack as their bonus feat at 6th level, they could ignore the 13+ Dex requirement, but would have to have either the Dodge or Mobility feat (but not both). This should cut out the cheesiest abuses while still opening up enough opportunities to be worthwhile. Plus, this is exactly in line with the prereqs normally ignored by the monk. Under no circumstances should anyone ever be allowed to ignore BAB or skill rank prerequisites, which is an important level-limiting mechanic.

Remove ads