• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Marvel Avengers, 1889 [Full]

Karl Green

First Post
Jemal said:
Yeah, I've kinda got it easy with Wolvie..
BTW, I just realized there's another Drawback that the Wolverine should have, as has been used against him numerous times - He's got a METAL skeleton, and is thus affected by magnetics. I'm thinking Uncommon frequency(It's the 19th century after all), Major intensity (Double save dc modifier). -3 Drawback

Hm I am not 100% sold on that one, but the claws (2pt) Drawback is ok

Karl Green

First Post
Jemal said:
Yeah.. Hell, I sided with Captain AMERICA during the cvil war, and I've never exactly been his biggest fan..
I almost gave up on Spidey during the war until he realized what a doofus he'd been and said 'bye bye' to IronMan.
Then after the war, I kinda just stopped reading comics.

The ONLY mainstream Marvel that I read any more is Moon Knight. Civil War pretty much killed my intrest in most Marvel. I did strat picking up the New Warriors and it is ok, but we wil see. I do read most of the Ultimate line though...

Redclaw

First Post
Here's my first run at it. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Justice
Justic2.jpg

Vincent Astor was born to poor parents in an outlying area of London. He was a relatively average kid, but a bit smarter than most. Unfortunately, that intelligence tended to anger his father, a foreman at a textiles plant, who was physically abusive toward Vincent. Vincent was also forced to work at the plant from a very young age, climbing into and fixing the machines when they broke down.
When Vince was 12, he learned about his power when a future self visited him and told him not to join the East India Company as he had planned to do. Over the next few years his powers manifested and he began to learn to control them, and he fought minor criminals using the identity the Boy Marvel. His father was angered by the emerging powers, which he viewed as 'witchbred' according to church doctrine, and his attacks on young Vince increased, finally leading to a confrontation that ended with Vince killing his father in self-defense.
Unfortunately, the courts didn't fully exonerate Vince, but they mitigated the usual sentence and instead of being sent to Australia, he spent 5 years in the secret prison for powerful criminals hidden within the Tower of London. There he was a model prisoner, even helping the guards train to increase their effectiveness against men of power. He also earned the friendship of the Avengers. When he was released from prison (early due to good behavior) he adopted the new identity of Justice, and was invited to join the Avengers.

Complications-- Vince suffers from a guilt complex over the death of his father, causing him to hesitate to use his powers to a lethal degree.
--Vince Astor is a known witchbreed and convicted murderer. The facts of his case are less widely known, and anyone who recognizes him (after five years in prison) is likely to react with fear and distrust.
--Vince has a strong code of honor, the same one that prevented him from using his powers to escape punishment for his father's murder. He truly believes in the laws of England, and does not break them lightly.
--Justice's true identity is not known to the population at large, in part because of the problems it would cause the Avengers to have a convicted murderer on their roster.

[sblock=stats]
Abilities
Strength--10 (+0) 0pp
Dexterity--14 (+2) 4pp
Constitution--14 (+2) 4pp
Intelligence--16 (+3) 6pp
Wisdom--12 (+1) 2pp
Charisma--14 (+2) 4pp

Total power points=20

Saving Throws
Toughness--+2, up to +10 with force field (+2 ability) 0pp
Fortitude--+5 (+3 Base +2 ability) 3pp
Reflex--+6 (+4 Base, +2 ability) 4pp
Willpower--+8 (+7 Base, +1 ability) 7pp

Total Power points=14

Combat
Defense--14 (+4 Bonus) Flatfooted--12 8pp
Initiative--+6 (+2 ability, +4 feat)
Hero Points--3 (1 base, +2 luck)

Attack Bonus +4 8pp
Ranged +8 (+4 Attack bonus, +4 Attack Focus)
Melee +4 (+4 Attack Bonus)

Total Power Points=16

Skills
Acrobatics--+6 (+2 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Concentration--+9 (+1 ability, 8 ranks) 2pp
Diplomacy--+6 (+2 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Disable Device--+7 (+3 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Gather Information--+6 (+2 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Intimidate--+10 (+2 ability, 8 ranks) 2pp
Investigate--+11 (+3 ability, 8 ranks) 2pp
Knowledge (Civics)--+7 (+3 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Knowledge (Current Events?)--+11 (+3 ability, 8 ranks) 2pp (I'm looking to show his knowledge of other Men of Power...)
Notice--+5 (+1 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Sense Motive--+5 (+1 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp
Swim--+4 (+0 ability, 4 ranks) 1pp

Total Power Points=16

Feats
Attack Focus (ranged)--4 ranks +4 on ranged attacks 4pp
Improved Aim +10 melee, +4 ranged when aiming 1pp
Improved Disarm--1 rank +2 bonus on attack roles to disarm opponents 1pp
Improved Initiative +4 bonus on initiative rolls 1pp
Improved Pin Opponents are at -4 to escape grapple or pin 1pp
Improved Trip +4 bonus on trip attacks, not subject to return trip attempts 1pp
Luck--2 ranks +2 hero points per adventure session
Move-By Action Can perform a standard action mid-move 1pp
Power Attack Can trade attack bonus to increase damage (max 5) 1pp
Precise Shot reduce penalty for firing into melee by 4 1pp
Teamwork--1 rank +1 to aid action

Total Power Points=15

Powers
Telekinetic Array 30, Dynamic Power x5, Alternate Power x4 69 power points
Son of Darwin Power Structure Provides 60 power points to divide amongst abilities

Dynamic Telekinesis (Max 8) Damaging (+1), Precise 3pp/rank +1 from array
Son of Darwin general ability Move objects at current power rank distance, effective strength is current power rank x5, object thrown as weapons us power rank as strength for damage, can be used to grapple, trip or disarm using current power rank

Dynamic Telekinetic Blast (Max 6) Ricochet, Accurate 2pp/rank +2
Son of Darwin Force Attack Ranged Attack +10, 1-6 damage, can ricochet of a single surface, having no impact on that surface

Dynamic Force Field (Max 8) Impervious, Affects Others, Ranged, Selective, Progression 3 4pp/rank +4
Son of Darwin Defense provides power rank bonus on toughness saves, ignores attack with damage less than current power rank, can be used on up to 10 other people at power rank range

Dynamic Flight Affects Others, Ranged, Progression 3 4pp/rank +3
Son of Darwin Telekinetic Movement Provides telekinetic flight up to power rank speed on the time and movement chart, and can be applied to up to 10 other people at power rank range Base power maxes out at power rank 4 (can be overcome with exertion)

Dynamic Deflect (Max 10) All ranged, Action, Ranged 4pp/rank
Son of Darwin Telekinetic Defense Block ranged attacks as a move action using power rank as attack bonus, can block any attacks within power range, each deflect attempt after the first is at a -2 modifier

Total Power Points=69

Power Points=20 ability +14 saves +16 combat +16 skills +15 feats +69 powers=150
Trade-offs= +2 attack/-2 damage, +2 toughness, -2 defense
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Redclaw said:
Here's my first run at it. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Justice
Unfortunately, the courts didn't fully exonerate Vince, and he spent 5 years in the secret prison for powerful criminals hidden within the Tower of London (let me know if you want me to change this).

No, that's ok... but most non-royal 'Men of Renowned' (super beings) Criminals are shipped off to Australia, maybe you were an exception…

Redclaw said:
Powers
Telekinetic Array 30, Dynamic Power x5, Alternate Power x4 69 power points
Mutant Power Structure

Remember your 'Origin' would be Son of Darwin in the Victorian age... AND as "Mutant" hatred is a stable of Marvel, the Church calls you 'Witchbreed' (which is fitting for Wanda ;))

Karl Green

First Post
Kewl so only the Mighty Thor and Ronin are needed for the Team to be complete.

POSTING GUIDELINES
When you post over in the Game thread (when I start it) please PLEASE put your characters NAME, number of Hero Points and any Condition in the Title area as this will help me get everyone’s name, etc down and track stuff.

Generally for games that I run, I like people to roll there own dice. I would prefer people use Invisible Castle as it is my favorite. NOW, for secret rolls, and to speed things up I will make some of your rolls, but you get to decide about spending Hero Points for re-rolls etc.

When ever you want to do something that will require a roll, please describe your action in your main post (“Iron Lord blast Monkey Monster with a powerful blast of Electrical discharges from his power gauntlets!’) and then at the bottom, record your rolls, etc in an OCC, maybe in gray color (OCC – Iron Man ranged attack roll (1d20+8=23), if that hits, +8 damage)

NOW I am going to start the game a bit... differently... please just roll with it ;) I promise this is not how I always will do things, but to start it off :cool:

Elric

First Post
Karl- I think we might have a problem doing our own rolls when our actions are contingent on other actions before us in a round. It seems to me that if you're trying to resolve a whole round of combat at a time, we'll need contingent actions.

For example, "if the minions on the roof are still up, I Area Blast them- otherwise I regular Blast a guy on the ground unless a companion is hurt, in which case I heal them." Doing the rolling for that as a player would be a pain in the neck (and well, if you get a bad roll for healing all of a sudden you may decide you're only healing someone if he's very injured :))

Conditional actions also makes it a problem to describe what you're doing in detail in some cases when you don't know what your action will be!

Also, for HP usage when we are rerolling saves, we'll probably want a policy where we can tell you to automatically reroll some saves so that you can resolve opponent's actions without having to later re-edit them to account for rerolls.

Lastly, I'm going to be on vacation for a little over two weeks starting tomorrow, so I might not be able to post much while I'm away (but I'll try to get some quick posts in). Anyone want to volunteer to decide on combat actions for me if Captain Britania's lack of actions is holding the group up?

Karl Green

First Post
Elric said:
Karl- I think we might have a problem doing our own rolls when our actions are contingent on other actions before us in a round. It seems to me that if you're trying to resolve a whole round of combat at a time, we'll need contingent actions.

For example, "if the minions on the roof are still up, I Area Blast them- otherwise I regular Blast a guy on the ground unless a companion is hurt, in which case I heal them." Doing the rolling for that as a player would be a pain in the neck (and well, if you get a bad roll for healing all of a sudden you may decide you're only healing someone if he's very injured :))

Conditional actions also makes it a problem to describe what you're doing in detail in some cases when you don't know what your action will be!

Also, for HP usage when we are rerolling saves, we'll probably want a policy where we can tell you to automatically reroll some saves so that you can resolve opponent's actions without having to later re-edit them to account for rerolls.

Lastly, I'm going to be on vacation for a little over two weeks starting tomorrow, so I might not be able to post much while I'm away (but I'll try to get some quick posts in). Anyone want to volunteer to decide on combat actions for me if Captain Britania's lack of actions is holding the group up?

Yes all good stuff on Conditional Actions BUT I generally say, post a few different options, especially if you are at the end of the round. If there are different types of rolls that you think you might use, then post them also. IF you don't use them it is not a huge deal in my mind and it does speed things up...

NOW for Hero Point Re-Rolls I do like the idea of people say BUT I can go back and edit stuff if that is ok also. I just find it can take a LONG time to do combat, unless you have a lot of stuff up front...

Karl Green

First Post
Shayuri said:
Spider-Woman
ATTACK
Ranged: Venom Blast +8 (DC 23, CRIT 20 x2, 80', Poison (Fort DC 23 or repeats in 1 min)
Melee: Strike +8 (DC 23, CRIT 20 x2, Martial Arts)

Minor note here, but Critial Hits in M&M give you +5 damage mod's

Elric

First Post
One more character version- added 1 pp in regen and 2 pp in Super-senses for vision (I figure he might as well have a few powers in common with Black Panther). Took off Track because it would unnecessarily compete with Wolverine. Upped Wis and Cha.

Question: Can we use the Masterful Tactics option from the Mastermind's Manual so that I can use Knowledge: Tactics for Master Plan rolls? :)

CAPTAIN BRITANIA
[sblock]
PL: 8 (150 pp)

ABILITIES: STR: 22 (+6) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 22 (+6) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 18 (+4) CHA: 20 (+5)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 8 (+14), Bluff 5 (+10), Climb 4 (+10), Concentration (+4), Diplomacy 9 (+14), Disguise (+5), Drive (+6), Escape Artist (+6), Gather Info (+5), Handle Animal 2 (+7), Intimidate 7 (+12), History 4 (+5), Tactics 9 (+10), Medicine 1 (+5), Notice 8 (+12), Ride 1 (+7), Search (+1), Sense Motive 8 (+12), Stealth 4 (+10), Survival 1 (+5), Swim 4 (+10)

FEATS: Acrobatic Bluff, Animal Empathy, Attack Focus (6), Benefit (1), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Elusive Target, Endurance (1), Equipment (1), Evasion (2), Fearless, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (5), Interpose, Leadership, Luck (2), Master Plan, Power Attack, Takedown Attack (2), Teamwork (2), Ultimate Effort (1), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS: Speed [1], Leaping [1], Super-Strength [1], Immunity (Diseases) [1], Regeneration (Bruised, 1/full round of rest) [1]
Super-Senses (Extended Vision, Low-Light Vision) [1],
Device (Easy to Lose, PF: Indestructible, Restricted- functions as large shield for anyone else) [2]
Shield: Enhanced Dodge Focus 3, Strike 2 (PF: Mighty), Enhanced Feats (Improved Critical, Improved Defense, Improved Block, Weapon Bind)

COMBAT: Attack +2 (+8 melee) [Unarmed +6 (Bruise), Shield +8 attack +8 dmg (19-20 Crit)] Defense 18 (13 flat-footed) Init +10

SAVES: Toughness +8 (+8 flat-footed) Fortitude +8 Reflex +8 Will +8

Abilities 56 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 36 + Powers 16 + Combat 14 + Saves 8 – Drawbacks 0 = 150 / 150[/sblock]

Remove ads