Marvel Heroic RPG (RECRUITING!)

Jemal

Adventurer
Since the characters are pre-gen, I'd be willing to join if you don't require people who own the system. I'm a quick learner.

I'd be interested in Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Mr fantastic, or Storm.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I can give a version of the pre-gens, but I'll alter them to basically be homebrew so I'm not breaking copyright by sending you the character (ie: if you buy the game, you'll have a slightly different take on the character).

Either of you feel free to pick off that list. I don't mind A-listers at all with this game, it's easier for me to make the game "feel" like Marvel if I know who they are.

Don't sweat pretending to be someone you're not. Try to think of it as a role: you're the actor, or the new writer for Spider-man (for example). In your head, can you bring a version of Spider-man to the table that has something neat to it? Toby McGuire and the new guy, Garfield, both do Spidey, but they bring their own personalities to the character while being faithful to key points. Being a perfectionist holds us back from completing tasks because of fear of getting things wrong; but that means we don't get anything right, either.

Anyway, how much nerd rage can we get for playing a game?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
A LOT of nerd rage. Brrrr.

Hey, since [MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION] wants to play one of the Fantastic Four, I definitely want to play Spider-Man (since he is now officially part of same, in the comics at least).

My version of Spider-Man is going to be more of a glory hound. Where the 'original' Spidey took pics and sold them to JJJ to pay for college or whatever, MY Spidey is going to sell them to whoever he can. And give some away. And perhaps use New York as his personal playground by leaving Spider-phenalia everywhere.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Sounds good.

Let's wait until we jump into the game, and see how our characters feel once we get there. Good thinking on Spidey, and in a way he does just that... or wants to, up until uncle Ben gets killed... so yeah, you're feeling the character just fine.

Any team would be Fantastic, even if they're not the FF. Don't worry about being powerful enough, though, the game is more story-focused. It can genuinely handle Hawkeye and Cap teaming up with the Hulk and Thor, and having the same chance of success... depending on what they're doing (hawkeye's aim should be as good as Hulk's punches).

The Basic game has Breakout as an initial event, where the new Avengers assemble to include Spidey and Wolverine. Really, after reading Wolverine vs. Marvel Universe (surprisingly good story, unfortunate title), I get the feeling that everyone knows everyone, but they have teams that live together.

EDIT: not that we're doing Breakout! if you get the game, you can run that for your home group.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
....aaaand that tune is now stuck in my head. It's okay, love that tune!

I'll post the party roster in the first post.

I'm going to adapt the story around the characters you folks pick, so really: if you want to play Hawkeye or Thor you'll still be fine.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hawkeye + Thor? ... Maybe, yeah, that explains a lot... (shakes it off)

I do personally like Thor, and Hawkeye in the Avengers cartoon is great.

But it's more that they tend to be examples of the spectrum of superheroes in Marvel. If Thor is on a team, everyone else goes "but what am I supposed to do?" and that pretty much sums up Hawkeye's entire career. Yet they both have their moments when they save the day (Spidey, too), and the mechanics of the game can have them co-exist and both be "optimal" choices.

I'll go over the rules for the game in a bit. The gist of it is that you have dice for different aspects of your character. With Thor he'd have "god of thunder" and "lightning bolt" and "godlike strength", and each would give him a dice to roll. If when he's doing an action he can convince the rest of us that what he's doing has something to do with each of the categories, he gets each of those dice. If he's just swinging his hammer, he rolls that die, but if he's summoning a storm to battle a robot that also shoots lightning bolts, he could use his "god of thunder" and "lightning bolt" dice.

There aren't rules for every little detail, but you don't need them.

I usually like mechanics, but this one works nicely without complex modifiers and such.

IxCptMorganxI

First Post
I'd be interested in playing. I'm Watcher for a game already and its fun, but I really would like to just play for once. Plus, it'll give me ideas seeing it from the player perspective.

I'd be interested in Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, or Colossus.

Remove ads