Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I HAZ SEENIT! The Pilot episode, that is. They showed it at D23 Disney Fan Expo, introduced by Jeph Loeb.

Non-Spoilers:

Acting is pretty good. A couple of mildly weaker characters, but overall I'd say the acting is solid, and there are enough veteran actors to carry this thing through for a long time.

Directing was good. This episode was directed by Joss Weadon, so no idea if directing will hold.

Writing was good. I was engaged, and wanted to see more.

It has good tie-in feel with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Now for the spoiler-stuff:

[sblock]First, maybe Coulson did NOT live? Maybe? (more on that later), and Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) returns as Agent Maria Hill. Ron Glass (Shepherd Book from Firefly) is an agent as well.

Lola, the car, is WAY cooler than you think from the commercials.

Massive tie-in to the other movies, as they pilot focuses on a "caterpillar" experiment being conducted by somebody (the big bad unknown) which injects all of Gamma radiation, Extremis and supersoldier serum into the test subject, giving them various abilities, until they explode like Extremis. Chitauri weaponry is also being sourced to this same unknown group.

And, the big spoiler...maybe Agent Coulsen DID die? It's unclear what happened. He's in this. HE thinks he lived, and only died for 8 seconds, and eventually woke up from an induced coma in Tahiti. There is an implication from others in SHIELD that no, he's not been told what happened. Is he a clone? An android? Superpowered? Unclear, but part of the A story I think. [/sblock]

Overall, I liked it, and look forward to seeing more.

If anyone has any questions, I am happy to answer them.

Nytmare

David Jose
How did the effects look overall?

The cgi-ed dude jumping out of the window really has me worried about the overall quality of the effects.

MBJwally

First Post
Someone asked me why would anyone want to watch a superhero show without the super heroes and I couldn't think of a good reply..

Nytmare

David Jose
I heard an interesting tidbit recently, but I don't remember where it's from. The plan by Marvel et al. is to broaden all of the Avenger offshoots from straight super hero movies to other genres with super hero tacked on.

Thor is going to be super hero/high fantasy. Captain America is going to be super hero/spy thriller. I'm imagining that Agents of Shield will be super hero/whatever TV show JJ Abrams keeps on trying to make between Fringe and Alias. I'm imagining that there will be a lot of daddy issues and collecting random pieces of ancient, forgotten technology to build a doomsday device that might accidentally save the world.

Someone asked me why would anyone want to watch a superhero show without the super heroes and I couldn't think of a good reply..

Don't think of it as "a superhero show without the super heroes", because that's not what it is.

It's a spy/cop show set in a world that's changing, that can be seen as a superhero setting.

This is a world that is supposed to be pretty much our world, except with in the last 3 years or so:

A billionaire genius inventor has created a perfect clean energy source (but he keeps it to himself), and has also created suits of power armor that basically let him take on small armies by himself.

Has got hard confirmation that they are not alone in the universe, that there is other intelligent life, this life is incomprehensibly technologically advanced (to the point that the last time they came, they were hailed as gods), and that there are ones who are unquestionably hostile to Earth (Loki and the Chitauri) but also those who are helpful (Thor). Top that with said hostile alien life engaging in open warfare in New York City which did several times more damage than 9/11.

Has had to deal with the effects of attempts to create a "super soldier" basically unleashing untold destruction on the world by creating near-invincible super-strong monstrosities. (Hulk and the Abomination).

Ect.

Now imagine you're a spy or other senior government official in that world. The world got awfully interesting awfully quick. All kinds of things to investigate, all kinds of things to look around for.

fba827

Adventurer
in case it hasn't been mentioned yet (and apologies if it has since i haven't read this whole thread) but the premier is tuesday september 24 in the US. Don't know about elsewhere.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
in case it hasn't been mentioned yet (and apologies if it has since i haven't read this whole thread) but the premier is tuesday september 24 in the US. Don't know about elsewhere.

27th for the UK. Anyone who spoils it for me will go on my special Doctor Who spoilers list.

Remove ads