Master crafter

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I don't think that they are its backbone, though--I think they are an annoying-to-balance and troublesome-if-exploited add-on that we could do without (and if removed, we could give the MC back one of its two lost caster levels, preferably the second one).
I think that might be preferable.

Another thought might be to to either write spells that have a similar effect available only to the MC, or to perhaps offer something like some free metamagic effects to spells that effect or deal with enchanted weapons (Flame arrow, magic weapon, etc)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Bront said:
Another thought might be to to either write spells that have a similar effect available only to the MC, or to perhaps offer something like some free metamagic effects to spells that effect or deal with enchanted weapons (Flame arrow, magic weapon, etc)
But that would be too simple!

I like it, writing a couple new spells modeled off of the Artificer would maintain the feel of Imbue Item without having to instate the complicated Imbue Point system. And ignoring the Artificer spells and giving the MC metamagic feats to apply only to his item-enhancing spells is a brand new direction, but much much simpler.

How does B4cchus feel about all this, I wonder?

B4cchus

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
But that would be too simple!

I like it, writing a couple new spells modeled off of the Artificer would maintain the feel of Imbue Item without having to instate the complicated Imbue Point system. And ignoring the Artificer spells and giving the MC metamagic feats to apply only to his item-enhancing spells is a brand new direction, but much much simpler.

How does B4cchus feel about all this, I wonder?
He's not sure about it :)
I agree that the imbue item ability should be worked on.. i also agree that is comes with a lot of hassle, book keeping and balance issues as it stands right now.

On the other hand i DO feel that it gives the PrC a lot of flavor, where replacing it with one or two CL increases makes it more bland. I've been away for a few days since my last post so i need some more time to think it over.

Right now, I'm moving towards either writing special spells for the MC, or drastically reducing the options and calculations surrounding the ability (probably removing the imbue points completely).
This would be somethink like imbue item (maybe distinguishing weapons and armor) x/day with a enchantment (or specific ability) cap bound to the MC class level.
This reduces the flexibility (and thus in my eyes the possibility of abuse) but still gives the MC class a special power with added flavour to go.

Bront

The man with the probe
Special spells would be better. This class is a waste for a non-caster to take, and the spells could easily be "Always accessable" to a MC, either added to their spell list, or on their spells known list, depending on the caster.

B4cchus

Explorer
Making the spells available for both arcane and divine casters is easy enough, but openeing them up for manifesters would require additional powers to be written. I have extremely little experience in playing manifesters. Anybody up for the job to translate any spells proposed to powers?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I believe there's simply a direct translation of Spell level to pp. L1 spells cost 1pp, L2 cost 3pp, L3 cost 5pp, etc. Powers also have "displays", sort of like arcane spells have casting components (verbal, somatic). Other than that, I think they're essentially the same. It would be pretty easy to turn a spell into a power and vice versa, methinks.

B4cchus

Explorer
Yes! He's back!
I'm picking up this design again and all comments are still welcome.

For now i am going to focus on a replacement of the imbue item ability, namely spells and powers.
This will consist of two parts
1: adding spells/powers to the spell list of the MC
2: adding some new spells/powers.

I'll first run through several options before i go into the exact details such as spell level.

I want to add the following spells/powers to spellists/powers list of the caster/manifester class a MC had previous to becoming a MC:
magic weapon
greater magic weapon
align weapon
bless weapon
disrupting weapon
keen edge
magic vestment
Shillelagh
magic stone

powers:
Bolt
call weaponry
dissolving weapon
keen edge, psionic
metaphysicial weapon
prevenom wepaon
truevenom weapon
vampiric blade
weapon of energy

I'm very much in doubt wheter the spells should be added as powers and vise versa.

Furtermore, i think of adding the following `new spells/powers (as both):

-Energy weapon, add 1d6 energy damage to weapon

-Ghost touch weapon

-Holy/unholy weapon

-Weapon of speed (speed anchantment)

-Resiliant armor(lesser normal and greater), add energy resistance 10, 20 or 30 to armor

-Fortify Armor (lesser, normal and greater) add light, medium or greater fortification to armor

Looking forward to your comment.
Maybe we can get this PrC done before 4th ed conqueres the boards :p

Boddynock

First Post
About the spells added to spell lists ...

I think it's interesting to look at which classes already have these spells on their lists:

Code:
Spell:                  Present on spell lists for:         Benefits:

Align Weapon            Clr 2                               bards, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
Bless Weapon            Pal 1                               bards, clerics, druids, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
Disrupting Weapon       Clr 5                               bards, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
Keen Edge               Sor/Wiz 3                           bards, clerics, druids, paladins, rangers
Magic Stone             Clr 1, Drd 1, Earth 1               bards, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
Magic Vestment          Clr 3, Strength 3, War 3            bards, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
Magic Weapon            Clr 1, Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 1, War 1      bards, druids, rangers
Magic Weapon, Greater   Clr 4, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 3             bards, druids, rangers
Shillelagh              Drd 1                               bards, clerics, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, wizards
  • Bards & rangers benefit most.
  • Then paladins, sorcerers & wizards.
  • Then druids.
  • Clerics come last.

No real solution to this - just thought it'd be a useful observation to make. :)

'Nock

B4cchus

Explorer
Interresting observation!
A possible fix (if one would be needed) is to fiddle with the spell levels of the new spells, making them lower level spells for e.g. clerics and higher level spells for wizards.

Remove ads