D&D General Master List of Benn Riggs' D&D Charts and Graphs

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fun. It looks like 1E stuff outsold its equivalent 2E stuff by a factor of x2-5, depending.

Does he have charts for the WotC era?
His (unnamed) source appears to be a TSR alumni who had access tonthe actual busines numbera nad made a copy in the 90's and kept it, not neccesarily going to have anything in WotC. Though he did do a seminar at GenCon about 3E and 4E selling massively less than 2E.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Really appreciate you putting in all of these graphs in one place.

It also is a nice companion to the financial figures in Game Wizards which shows that the cliff at the end of the boom years (from '83 to '84) hammered TSR. Combined with the internal mismanagement, this is what led to the fallow time afterwards.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Looking at the Dragonlance sales...
What's the significance of negative sales (1990)? I don't see how that's possible.
It may have been a correction of numbers. Greyhawk Adventures also has a similar dip into the negatives. Back in the early 1990s, both books were being sold at Gen Con for a few bucks (under $5 for sure, though I can't remember whether it was $2 or $4). The story was they had found bunches of them in a warehouse somewhere and were liquidating. I don't know if that feeds into the negative sales figures or not, but it could indicate that numbers they thought had sold previously... hadn't.

Remove ads