• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Matrix and LotR comparison poll

Rate Matrix and Lord of the Rings

• Matrix = 5, very good

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Matrix = 4, good

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Matrix = 3, fair

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Matrix = 2, bad

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Matrix = 1, very bad

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • LotR = 5, very good

Votes: 55 88.7%
  • LotR = 4, good

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • LotR = 3, fair

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • LotR = 2, bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LotR = 1, very bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

Quasqueton

First Post
I've noticed something interesting in this forum when there is a thread discussing The Matrix and/or The Lord of the Rings. Let's take a poll on it.

For this poll, consider both movies so far released for both trilogies.

Matrix = The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded

LotR = Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers

Consider your overall feelings about the movies -- did you generally like the movies, or generally dislike the movies. Don't get too bogged down in technicalities for answering the poll (though feel free to discuss the technicalities in a response below).

Rank both movies on a 1-5 scale. 1=very bad, 5=very good.

Vote one check for Matrix, and one check for LotR.

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I do think you have issue with Matrix and the time between one and two being made that affected production.

LotR was done with less of a break (if any) and that also affected production.

Dimwhit

Explorer
The first Matrix would have been a 5. The second was only a 3, so they averaged to 4 on my vote.

LotR was an easy 5. It will prove to be the better trilogy, methinks.

The Matrix films didn't really do a whole lot for me. Yes, it was exciting and fun to watch, but all the "deep" meanings that are supposed to be in them just don't work for me. Take out the cool special effects, and its nothing that hasn't been done before (maybe not all done in one movie before). I found very little originality to it.

Go ahead, flame me, but thats my opinion. ;)

Quasqueton

First Post
It's kind of funny, but the main things that kept me from liking the LotR movies as much as the Matrix movies was the plot confusions. It flabbergasts me when someone who loved the LotR movies comments how bad the Matrix plot or story was. There were so many points in the LotR movies where I just thought, "huh?"

I found the thread on "LotR as a bad D&D game" hilariously accurate.

The whole Gandalf vs. Balrog scene had me rather nonplussed. The effects were cool, though.

So I find it ironic.

Edit: This is not to say the LotR movies were bad. I'm glad they were made, and I'm glad they were made well. But when seperated from it's classic book pedigree, I thought the movies were just fair.

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
The Matrix films didn't really do a whole lot for me. Yes, it was exciting and fun to watch, but all the "deep" meanings that are supposed to be in them just don't work for me.

I wont flame you, but I'm wondering what you mean by "didn't really do a whole lot." Does it mean...you didn't feel like you really "got" it, or you didn't feel it was anything more than pop philosophy and therefore not nearly as "deep" as it is somtimes considered?

Me, I like the LotR films much better. The Matrix is fun, of course, but I think the LotR films are getting better as they go along, while the Matrix films are getting worse.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I gave LOTR a 5 because I can't see how it could have been any better -- every aspect was top notch. I gave Matrix a 4 because I've been enjoying them immensely but there have been things here and there (some of the dialogue, mostly) that I could see room for improvement in.

Remove ads