• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mature content

would you buy a new Mature Content D&D book?

• No, are you a freak?

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • No, I am not comfortable with these things in my games

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • No, think of the children

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Maybe, if it was well written

Votes: 115 60.2%
  • Yes, I really want to add these things to my game.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Yes, I like to be a perv.

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Can I subscribe to playtroll?

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Poll closed .

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
ok, so both Piazo and WotC have little things in there licences saying they have the right to stop you from publishing mature content.

Now I know the BoEf was a flop, and that vile darkness and exalted deeds had a limited fanbase, but how far is in good taste?

what do people want to see in an adult mature book? Love, Sex, Gore, other??

I figure this is the best place to open this up, since the creaters come here too.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
to answer myself (I am not crazy damn it), I want to have mature themes when they fit in the game. I want gritty wars, and sappy love, and maybe a little freaky stuff too, but only where it fits.

Aus_Snow

First Post
No idea if BoEF was (or is) a success, so I won't outright dispute your claim that it failed, but White Wolf started reprinting it some time ago, taking over from. . . Valar Press, was it? Anyhow, that company (Valar?) surely fell over, but White Wolf must have seen some promise in the book. Enough to give it another print run, at the least.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I thought the BoEF was a good read and the classes within were well rounded for what they were. Having rules there for somthing that just so happens to come up alot in sessions anyway is a good thing.

Not only have I bought the older "Adult" books, I would buy more in the future if they were made available.
BoEF 4E? In a heartbeat!

I would also like to see material that is geared toward more adult readers and players. I want gore, I want profanity, I want all the gritty things that comes with fighting a drunken dwarf.

I also subscribe to the idea that censorship is wrong and nullifys rights. I do however agree that there is a time and place for all of these things, and that some people do abuse them.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I'm not sure we really even need a book of this sort.

Even the people who want to explore these themes - they don't need game rules for it. I'm sure there are other, better sources, that can be adopted into roleplay that takes place at the table, with the clothes on, rather than other parts of the house per se...

Vile Darkness failed for me because it was well, not an exploration of evil in roleplay, but of comic book villains. It was about as dark as the X-Men during the Goblin Queen run of the late 80s...

I get better source material for evil plots by watching Law and Order, opening a newspaper, or listening to what goes on in the courthouse... I'd take things from the real source material, and use the Law and Order method to 'tone it down / filter it' for people not used to being exposed to that kind of worldview. (that said, there's nothing like sitting a set of players who like horror and gangster movies down to a session with a villain who's modeled off of the mindset of a real world pimp / dealer - now that's dark and mature content. But don't expect them to be willing to return.)

But I'm digressing.

I guess I don't see the need for gaming books on these subjects. If you want to do horror and gore, do it, but don't get pretentious and pretend its anything more mature than the X-Men. And if your desired subject is kink - recognise that your book is mostly going to sell to people that want a laugh at it, and that people who actually plan to use that kind of content in game have better source material.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
If they did mature content books, I would hope they do them smartly. Have them be intelligent and not simply crass like Vile Darkness. The evil and mature stuff in there was almost cartoonish and didn't really feel thought thoroughly through I felt.

Having mature books take on a more White Wolf feel where the mature content is done intelligently and has depth to it would be my preferred way of going. Less over the top, more subtle, deep and layered.

Ourph

First Post
My preference is for PG-13 content in my roleplaying games (with maybe a little R-Rated language when there aren't any kids around), so I'm not at all interested in this type of thing.

Besides, if I ever did want to include some sort of "erotica" in my gaming, I hear there's this thing called the internet that's full of that type of stuff.

I voted if well written but in truth, do you need a book detailing the stuff? I got the book out of curiousity and the fact it was 50% off. Reading it, much of it was stuff I could have written myself.

So after posting.... I'm so sure I would buy one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads