• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maure Castle OOC (Full)

Voadam

Legend
Insight said:
Cool, I kinda wanted the sneaky role when I first read about this game! The trick is, well for me, are there any considerations of which we should be aware, especially in terms of how we get into the adventure?

For example, let's say I wanted to play a monster race, or have some sort of unusual class, is there anything I shouldn't try to do (that would hamper us getting into the adventure)... I would like to try something slightly out of the ordinary, and I wanted to make sure it would be doable.

Thanks for the invite by the way!

Doppelgangers are neutral, and awful sneaky.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Doppelgangers are neutral, and awful sneaky.

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking!

Here they are from the SRD:

DOPPELGANGERS AS CHARACTERS
Doppelganger characters possess the following racial traits.
— +2 Strength, +2, Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
—Medium size.
—A doppelganger’s base land speed is 30 feet.
—Darkvision: Doppelgangers can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
—Racial Hit Dice: A doppelganger begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
—Racial Skills: A doppelganger’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot.
—Racial Feats: A doppelganger’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
— +4 natural armor bonus.
— +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks. When using its change shape ability, a doppelganger gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If it can read an opponent’s mind, it gets a further +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.
—Special Attacks (see above): Detect thoughts.
—Special Qualities (see above): Change shape, immunity to sleep and charm effects.
—Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Giant, Terran.
—Favored Class: Rogue.
—Level adjustment +4.

If I went this route, I would probably go Rogue 6, Thief-Acrobat 2. That should equal 12 levels worth of goodies.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Sounds good, thanks. Paladin smiter of evil good guy concept it is. A hero concept but not a selfless martyr or overly merciful one. Not that I expect this to come up in a classic dungeon crawl.

Complete Adventurer has a PrC you might want to look at: Shadowbane Inquisitor. They smite based on their perception of the acts, etc, not based on alignment. Just a thought.

Voadam

Legend
Insight said:
LOL that's exactly what I was thinking!

Here they are from the SRD:

If I went this route, I would probably go Rogue 6, Thief-Acrobat 2. That should equal 12 levels worth of goodies.

Four racial levels of monstrous humanoid plus four LA = 8/12 levels taken care of. So you would have only four levels to play around with, but they might qualify for thief acrobat pretty early in the chain, I don't know about the class' prereqs though.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Four racial levels of monstrous humanoid plus four LA = 8/12 levels taken care of. So you would have only four levels to play around with, but they might qualify for thief acrobat pretty early in the chain, I don't know about the class' prereqs though.

Hmm... I always seem to forget about the racial levels.

I wonder if the DM would let me do 2 levels of Humanoid and the rest as regular character class levels. The reason for this is that Humanoid is a sucky class level equivalent for the type of character I'm going for, especially considering the class skills aren't really what I would want. Plus, I'm envisioning a Doppleganger who has been in human society for a long time, so he wouldn't have all those generic levels of Humanoid.

If not, I could do Rogue 4 and the rest as Doppleganger. He would be OK, but the only thing that worries me is how well he would stack up with the other characters (and his effectiveness as a Rogue against what we'd be dealing with).

Insight

Adventurer
The other option I am considering is an afflicted Wererat (ECL 3) with say 6 levels of Rogue and 3 levels of some PrC (maybe Thief-Acrobat or something else). It would be cool because we could say he acquired this a while back when the characters were lower level (instant history!) and has learned to deal with the problems it presents, plus the other characters are all aware of his affliction.

Pate Pot Pete

First Post
I'll volenteer as an alternate, the only game I'm currently in ris The Acedemy as GM, this is a grim and gritty superhero game. I don't know how much of a feel you can get for my stlye from that, if you choose to except my character I was thinking about playing a gnome Ranger/11 Infused Warrior 1.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Unearthed Arcana has some option for reducing LA, but I'm not sure about its specifics.

I'll take a look when I get home and post what I find, in case it matters. From what I recall, it uses XP, so maybe I could use the extra xp given out for magic item creators for this purpose? If that's the case, I have some even cooler ideas in mind!

EDIT: OK, it looks like I would only be able to buy back 1 ECL worth of LA. Basically, the way it works is this:

Start with your Starting LA. This determines when you can 'buy back' a level worth of LA. You take your LA x 3 and that's the next level at which you can 'buy back' LA. So, someone with LA +1 can buy back their one level of LA at 3rd level or thereafter. Someone with LA +2 could not buy off the first level of LA until 6th level, but then could again at 9th (since their new LA is +1).

The cost to 'buy back' LA is current ECL x 1,000 xp. So, a character with LA +1 who buys back a level at 3rd (ECL 4) is 4,000 XP. You cannot 'buy back' racial Hit Dice.

So my options for this are either to do LA +1 only and buy it completely off at 3rd or later (for a cost of 4,000 xp not counting racial hit dice) or take LA of +2 or more and just eat the difference. Of course, I could buy off a level next time we got XP, but it would be (12+LA+Racial HD) x 1,000 XP, so that's a tall order. Or a third option if the GM allows it is to buy off a LA at 6th and let me be negative on XP until the next time we earn XP. I would probably end up around 64k XP at start if this was allowed.

Last edited:

Remove ads