• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maure Castle

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
airwalkrr said:
And a little more housekeeping:

[sblock=Steve Gorak]
Your character is not quite done.
-You need to pick one more language.
-You need to select equipment.
-You need to create a list of spells prepared.
-I need to know whether or not you worship a deity or have no patron. The only Greyhawk deity I know with Protection and Trickery is Xan Yae.
-Eschew Materials doesn't do much for you as a cleric since your spells usually require a divine focus instead of material components. You need Spell Focus (conjuration) as a thaumaturgist however, so I swapped the two. Still, you have six feats when you should only have five, so you need to drop one.
-Be sure to deduct the cost of your planar cohort (9,000 gp) from your wealth. You may use this as cohort wealth to purchase items, but if you ever take a new cohort, the old cohort takes that money with him.

I haven't looked at your cohort yet since you have not posted in a while, but as soon as you do, I will take a look.[/sblock]

Incidentally, Steve Gorak has not posted to this thread in a while. I will give him a few days to post and finish his character before we begin. He is the cleric so it would be important to have his character along. If we do not hear from him, I will finish building his character and have him tag along as an NPC for the time being so you guys will have some healing.

Hey airwalkrr.

Sorry I've been MIA. I'll fix my character and should be done in the next couple of days.
I'll redo my cohort, so no point reviewing the one that I initially proposed.
Cheers,

SG

-SIN-

First Post
Yeah, I might re-do my character. I don't think that tweaking him will make much odds if you think he'll die as he is at present. I'll let you know shortly though...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey airwalkrr.

[SBLOCK] Is there a dwarf oriented deity that has Magic and Protection as domains? I'm flexible with my character's domains, so please feel free to recommend relevant/ campaign suitable deities (I'll need the respective list of domins though). [/SBLOCK]

Thanks,

SG

airwalkrr

Adventurer
-SIN- said:
Yeah, I might re-do my character. I don't think that tweaking him will make much odds if you think he'll die as he is at present. I'll let you know shortly though...

I think the suggestions I made will go a long way towards making him more viable. The main problem is that halflings really do not do well as monks. They gain a number of abilities that really do not help much because of their small size. Halflings serve best as rogues and spellcasters. They simply cannot fill the fighter or skirmisher role very well.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Steve Gorak said:
Hey airwalkrr.

[SBLOCK] Is there a dwarf oriented deity that has Magic and Protection as domains? I'm flexible with my character's domains, so please feel free to recommend relevant/ campaign suitable deities (I'll need the respective list of domins though). [/SBLOCK]

[sblock=Steve Gorak]Dwarven deities of magic are almost unheard of since dwarves do not traditionally take to arcane magic well. Moradin has the protection domain. Laduguer has magic and protection, but he is the lawful evil deity of duergar so dwarves rarely serve him. Moradin, Clangeddin (battle), Dumathoin (secrets under mountains), and Abbathor (evil and greed) are the dwarven deities in Greyhawk. None of them have the magic domain. It wouldn't be impossible for you to serve another deity though.[/sblock]

-SIN-

First Post
Here's a character from another game that I can use, just need to re-work the stats etc... Would this be a better build for what you've got planned?

(This was a 32 point buy, with an additional +2 to 'any stat' - homebrew - but it'll only take a half hour to re-do, and I'd need to buy magic stuff too. But if this one's ok, it'd be quicker than starting from scratch.)

[sblock]
NO-NAME...
Male Human Scout 5 / Swashbuckler 7
Neutral

Strength 17 (+3)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 10 (+0)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 14 (+2)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 180 lb
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Gray
Hair: None

Total Hit Points: To be worked out...

Speed: 40 feet [scout]

Armor Class: 18 = 10 +4 [chain shirt] +4 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 14
Initiative modifier: +7 = +4 [dexterity] +1 [scout] +2 [quick reconnoiter]
Fortitude save: +7 = 6 [base] +1 [scout]
Reflex save: +11 = 6 [base] +4 [dexterity] +1 [swashbuckler]
Will save: +3 = 3 [base]

Attack (handheld): +13/+8 = 10 [base] +3 [strength]
Weapon Finesse: +14/+9 = 10 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Attack (unarmed): +13/+8 = 10 [base] +3 [strength]
Attack (missile): +14/+9 = 10 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +13/+8 = 10 [base] +3 [strength]

Light load:86 lb. or less
Medium load:87-173 lb.
Heavy load:174-260 lb.
Lift over head:260 lb.
Lift off ground:520 lb.
Push or drag:1300 lb.

Languages: Common Dwarven Elven

Punching Dagger [1d4, crit x3, 1 lb., light, piercing or slashing]

Kukri [1d4, crit 18-20/x2, 2 lb., light, slashing]

Spiked Armor [1d6, crit x2., light, piercing]

Spiked Chain [2d4, crit x2, 10 lb., two-handed, piercing]

Chain shirt [light; +4 AC; max dex +4; check penalty -2; 25 lb.]

Feats:

Combat Reflexes
Dodge
Mobility
Exotic Weapon Proficiency Weapon: Spiked Chain
Quick Reconnoiter (Comp Adventurer)
Stealthy
Weapon Finesse

Skills

Appraise Int 2 = +2
Balance Dex* 14 = +4 +8 +2 [tumble]
Bluff Cha 12 = +2 +10
Climb Str* 8 = +3 +5
Concentration Con 0 = +0
Craft_1 Int 2 = +2
Craft_2 Int 2 = +2
Craft_3 Int 2 = +2
Diplomacy Cha 14 = +2 +8 +2 [bluff] +2 [sense motive]
Disguise Cha 2 = +2
Escape Artist Dex* 9 = +4 +5
Forgery Int 2 = +2
Gather Information Cha 2 = +2
Heal Wis 0 = +0
Hide Dex* 16 = +4 +10 +2 [stealthy]
Intimidate Cha 4 = +2 +2 [bluff]
Jump Str* 19 = +3 +10 +2 [tumble] +4 [speed 40]
Knowledge (geography) Int 7 = +2 +5
Knowledge (nature) Int 9 = +2 +5 +2 [survival]
Listen Wis 5 = +0 +5
Move Silently Dex* 16 = +4 +10 +2 [stealthy]
Perform_1 Cha 2 = +2
Perform_2 Cha 2 = +2
Perform_3 Cha 2 = +2
Perform_4 Cha 2 = +2
Perform_5 Cha 2 = +2
Ride Dex 4 = +4
Search Int 7 = +2 +5
Sense Motive Wis 8 = +0 +8
Spot Wis 8 = +0 +8
Survival Wis 5 = +0 +5
Swim Str** 8 = +3 +5
Tumble Dex* 16 = +4 +10 +2 [jump]
Use Rope Dex 4 = +4

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Bluff >=5 ranks gives +2 on disguise checks to act in character.
Escape Artist >=5 ranks gives +2 on use rope checks for bindings.
Know Geography >=5 ranks gives +2 on checks to avoid getting lost or into hazards.
Know Nature >=5 ranks gives +2 on survival checks above ground.
Search >=5 ranks gives +2 on survival checks while tracking.

Patryn:
Race. Adjustments
+2 charisma

Class details

Swashbuckler:

Free weapon finesse feat

+1 on reflex saves (already included)(level 2)

Insightful strike (level 3)
Dodge bonus +1 (level 5)
Acrobatic Charge (level 7)

Scout:

Core class from "Complete Adventurer"

Armor class bonuses after moving are not listed above.

Level 1: Skirmish (+1d6), trapfinding

Level 2: Battle fortitude +1, uncanny dodge

Level 3: Fast movement +10 feet, skirmish (1d6, +1 AC)

Level 4: Bonus feat (already included)

Level 5: Evasion, skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)

Equipment:

Backpack
Candle
Chalk
Flint and steel
Mirror
Rope (50', silk) x1
Sacks x2
Sewing needle
Signal whistle
Signet ring
Waterskins x2
Whetstone

[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
airwalkrr said:
They simply cannot fill the fighter or skirmisher role very well.

/hijack : Are you kidding? Halflings kick butt! the only reason I don't play them more often is b/c I usually end up needing the extra Feat human's get, but I've both played, and played with, some damn fine halfling tanks/main Damage dealers. *here endeth the hijack*

*sin - Hey cool, that's my campaign. :)*

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Jemal said:
/hijack : Are you kidding? Halflings kick butt! the only reason I don't play them more often is b/c I usually end up needing the extra Feat human's get, but I've both played, and played with, some damn fine halfling tanks/main Damage dealers. *here endeth the hijack*

I didn't say halflings were a bad race. I was merely pointing out that halflings do not serve as ideal primary melee characters. Their small size is a liability in too many ways. They get tripped, disarmed, and grappled too easily. That much is indisputable. And if that weren't enough, they have a penalty to Strength and have lower dice on their weapons. I'm not saying it cannot be done; it is just a lot harder to pull off and usually requires feats that a medium character would not need. Halflings are ideal as rogues and arcane blasters, but weak options as far as primary melee combatants go.

Remove ads