• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Max EB damage of a 10 Warlock / 10 Wild Mage

RigaMortus

Explorer
What would the max damage be on a Warlocks Eldritch Blast be if he was a 10 Warlock / 10 Wild Mage? Assuming you rolled a 6 on the 1d6 caster level check roll thing-a-ma-jig...

Is the Warlock's Eldritch Blast capped at 9d6?

Are there any rules for Epic Warlocks?

Cedious

First Post
I'm playing a warlock right now, just a question about the see like a devil/demon (can't remember exactly) and the ability to cast darkness to, is it as powerful as it seems or am i just not thinking through it enough....
also is there a feat where i could shot the EB once as a free action and once for combat?
i'm still learning 3.5 so sorry if the questions sound retarded :p

RigaMortus

Explorer
No it is not as powerful of a combo as you might think, assuming you are playing with 3.5 rules. In 3.5, the Darkness spell only grants "shadowy illuminations" or something like that. Basically, it is not total darkness. Anyone can still see in it, but they do get a 20% miss chance (Devil Sight would remove that for you). This is good to nulify sneak attacks and to add a little more protection.

The only feat you could take is Quicken Spell-like Ability (Eldritch Blast) from the 3.5 Monster Manual. It will allow you to cast Eldritch Blast like a Quickened spell 3/day (but only once a round like usual).

Technically speaking you really would never be able to apply Quicken Spell-like Ability to Eldritch Blast w/o going Epic first, because EB (according to Complete Arcane) is equal to a spell whose level is half of the Warlocks level. That means a Warlock 20 would have an EB equivanent to a 10th level spell. And Quicken Spell-like ability can only be applied to spell-like abilities that are 10th level or higher. There is some errata floating around that I think refutes this, but not sure where it is on these boards...

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
RigaMortus said:
Technically speaking you really would never be able to apply Quicken Spell-like Ability to Eldritch Blast w/o going Epic first...
Errata:

[sblock]Originally posted by Rich Baker

Hi, folks--

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up on a couple of pieces of errata for the warlock. We're not quite ready to turn out the full errata file for Complete Arcane (there's always some, as you know), but there are two things that have really been bugging me and I want to let you know about them.

1. Eldritch blast is an invocation and is subject to the arcane spell failure chance of any other invocation if you wear medium or heavy armor. On page 8, under Warlock Invocations, ignore the bold header "Invocations and Eldritch Blast."

2. Eldritch blast is equivalent to a 1st-level spell (or the spell level equivalent of any blast shape or eldritch essence you attach to it). So, you'll be able to use the Empower Spell-like Ability, etc., feats to modify your eldritch blast if you wish. On page 7, under Eldritch Blast, 2nd paragraph, just change the last sentence to read, "An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell, unless modified by a blast shape or eldritch essence."

Sorry about the confusion; we'll have our standard errata information assembled soon, and we'll make it available as quickly as possible. I just wanted to get this in front of you folks, since you've been asking a lot of questions about it.
Wizards of the Coast, Inc. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Warlock eldritch blast damage is not directly linked to caster level.

It increases when you take classes that give "+1 level of previous spellcasting class", but it doesn't increase/decrease when you get practised spellcaster, or take an arcane killer feat, or the like.

Therefore the maximum damage of your wild mage is whatever his total effective warlock level is. If wild mage gives +9 levels, then the above character has a 9d6 blast (IIRC).

RigaMortus

Explorer
Darkness said:
Errata:

[sblock]Originally posted by Rich Baker

Hi, folks--

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up on a couple of pieces of errata for the warlock. We're not quite ready to turn out the full errata file for Complete Arcane (there's always some, as you know), but there are two things that have really been bugging me and I want to let you know about them.

1. Eldritch blast is an invocation and is subject to the arcane spell failure chance of any other invocation if you wear medium or heavy armor. On page 8, under Warlock Invocations, ignore the bold header "Invocations and Eldritch Blast."

2. Eldritch blast is equivalent to a 1st-level spell (or the spell level equivalent of any blast shape or eldritch essence you attach to it). So, you'll be able to use the Empower Spell-like Ability, etc., feats to modify your eldritch blast if you wish. On page 7, under Eldritch Blast, 2nd paragraph, just change the last sentence to read, "An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell, unless modified by a blast shape or eldritch essence."

Sorry about the confusion; we'll have our standard errata information assembled soon, and we'll make it available as quickly as possible. I just wanted to get this in front of you folks, since you've been asking a lot of questions about it.
Wizards of the Coast, Inc. [/sblock]

That errata doesn't really help though. Maybe i am just reading it wrong. Quicken SLA says that it only applies to SLAs that are caster level 10th or higher. The errata says that EB is equivalent to a 1st level spell (not 10th) or if you apply an essence/blast to it, then it gets the level of the essence/blast, none of which I believe are higher than level 9.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
Warlock eldritch blast damage is not directly linked to caster level.

It increases when you take classes that give "+1 level of previous spellcasting class", but it doesn't increase/decrease when you get practised spellcaster, or take an arcane killer feat, or the like.

Therefore the maximum damage of your wild mage is whatever his total effective warlock level is. If wild mage gives +9 levels, then the above character has a 9d6 blast (IIRC).

I see... I guess the +1d6 for the WildMage would just make the EB harder to resist in some instances?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads