• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maximizing Bard damage?

Ryujin

Legend
OK, I know that this is likely a lost cause from the start, but my party members are dead set on the concept that every character, regardless of role, should provide maximum damage potential. I'm playing a Changeling Cunning Bard (who will likely convert to Eladrin when Essentials actually hits Builder) and could use some advice about where to go with it.

The campaign is fairly heavily houseruled, as our DM is a big fan of the Torg RPG and wanted to add cards to the 4e mechanic. From a mechanical standpoint this resulted in getting the Versatile Expertise feat and an interaction skill free, to start. I've multiclassed to Warlord, for the bonus damage or temp hits on an action point for my party. The character is currently at 2nd level.

I would likely give fire-based concepts preference, due to my character concept, but any ideas you have might trigger another idea for me also. I'm in a position to retrain, if it seems necessary.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Stitch, level 2
Changeling, Bard
Build: Cunning Bard
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Wand)
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning
Background: Early Life - Child Prodigy, Friend of an Eladrin House (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 17 Will: 17
HP: 36 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +10, Arcana +12, Religion +10, History +10, Bluff +12, Insight +8, Intimidate +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +6, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Resourceful Leader
Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Toughness

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Staggering Note
Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
Bard encounter 1: Blunder
Bard daily 1: Stirring Shout
Bard utility 2: Strategist's Epiphany

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Light Shield, Magic Hide Armor +1, Residuum (Any) (50), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Scimitar, Flute, Dagger, Echoing Songblade Scimitar +1
RITUALS
Glib Limerick, Comprehend Language

I would start with lesser int and increase str to 13 to begin with... this way you will be able to get barbarian and ranger multiclass which will help in damage output...

it is possible to chose a damage increasing rage, also you could switch into the barbarian utility (heart strike or something) that adds charisma to damage...

having only +3 int instead of +4 will not kill you.

Ryujin

Legend
Interesting thought. I'll have to look at what that would give me. Thanks.

I should also have mentioned that our points build is 3 higher than standard.

*EDIT* Nope on Ranger. I'd need WIS also.

Last edited:

Caragaran

First Post
As a leader you should be looking for ways to maximise everyones damage output. You need to look at what they can do and try to make it better. You should be the cog that makes the party engine step up a gear. So what are the rest of the party playing?

Ryujin

Legend
As a leader you should be looking for ways to maximise everyones damage output. You need to look at what they can do and try to make it better. You should be the cog that makes the party engine step up a gear. So what are the rest of the party playing?

I agree and have already commented that improving their MBAs would greatly increase overall party damage output, given that I can likely give a free MBA every 2 out of 3 rounds, on average.

I suppose that part of this exercise is to show how much better I can make them, rather than being better myself, and how it works tactically to our advantage. For example I already have Resourceful Leader (Warlord multi), that gives an additional 3 damage on an action point. If I combined that with Bravura Leader, another Warlord multi, that would be a total of +7 damage on an action point, for the price of giving up CA.

Next to whatever I could do, myself, that seems pretty big especially given that those bonuses apply just for my character being in the room!

Caragaran

First Post
But what is the rest of the party playing? 4 rangers? :p

For example if you have a charging barb then get a push/slide power is useful to keep them chargin there by increasing the damge output. giving MBA to a dex rogue without melee training isn't efficent. Will the party cover all of the roles.

Power combos from diffrent classes working together are they best way to maximise damage. So for example I currently play a Rogue and I try in every fight to work out when the rageblood barbarian will get a kill on his next attack and I slide an enemy to a good point for his free charge. I could have chosen a more damaging abilty but the slide allows a bigger nova from the barbarian which is much better.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
The party currently consists of:

Cunning Bard (my character)
Quick Battlemind
Two-Weapon Ranger
Dragon Sorcerer
Pursuing Avenger

Caragaran

First Post
Ok well with 3 strikers I dont see why they are worrying about you maximising your damage you should be worrying about maximising thier damage. Maybe taking wizard multi class and taking a wizard daily would be a good idea. that party will kill very fast with focus fire chosing to use ranged attacks may be of more benifit to the party 3 melee 2 ranged is more rounded.

You should look at maximising your healing as well strikers rarely have enough surges and getting the most out of each one is important. It would only take 2 encounters where the same striker get focused on to put a dampener on your adventuring day.

If I was in you shoes trying to improving the party I would be looking at Buffs, healing, and control rather than damage. I dont have access to any books at the moment (I am at work:devil:). I will get back to you when I do.

Herschel

Adventurer
Okay, you're fellow players are really missing the whole point of the Bard and the game in general. The Bard makes THEIR damage better, not his own. And the party is damage-heavy already without much defense. With only one other ranged character, I'd be tempted to go Prescient Bard with a Greatbow if damage is such a big deal. But again, I think your fellow players are lacking in the cognitive skills when they have three strikers and are worried about damage. The party lacks control and buffs/de-buffs if they're just worried about damage (and possibly healing if you don't maximize that).

Ryujin

Legend
Obviously I could go the Warlock route to get a once per encounter Curse, then dump my shield for a Rod of Corruption and hope for minions. Seems pretty cheesey though.

The player who built the Ranger was trying to create a non-glass cannon, and he has largely succeeded. He's not fully optimized for damage but, with some judicious juggling of stats and feats, can hang in direct melee longer.

The Avenger is a classic glass cannon. Last session he received all of my healing, including dropping Stirring Shout on his Censure opponent, so that he could regain 4hp per hit. Obviously maximizing my healing is a good way to go, including perhaps taking more Leader multis for daily healing uses. Otherwise, I don't think that the Avenger will live very long.

I haven't seen much of the Battlemind or Sorcerer yet, as they missed last session, but the Battlemind seems to be quite the doorstop with his Speed of Though ability and the massive number of healing surges.

Leaning toward a bigger Controller aspect with a multi as Wizard might not be too bad either. The odd Thunderwave might come in handy, if only for minion clearing. I could also lean toward thunder powers as a schtick rather than fire, which is far more likely to be resisted. Hmmm....... I wonder how I'd work that character concept?

What I am finding, though, is that it's far harder for me to remember the bonuses that I'm giving the other characters on their actions/action points/etc.. I think that I'll make a little banner for my mini as a reminder. Playing a Fey/Darklock was far easier, by comparison.

Remove ads