• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maybe I'm Being Stupid...

the_bruiser

First Post
Hello all. I'm designing an NPC to fight our party and want to make sure that he CANNOT do something.

Here's the idea: He casts haste on himself before combat. At some point during the fight he casts true strike. He then uses his extra partial action to move into position and uses whirlwind attack with his greatsword. Normally, with power attack, he can do a (net) +10 to attack and +20 to damage by combining true strike and power attack with his greatsword. But surely he cannot do this to everyone with whirlwind attack?

Maybe this isn't as overpowered as it seems... we're doing a low-magic campaign where armor classes, hit points, etc., are somewhat lower than they might be in a normal-magic campaign, so maybe in most campaigns this wouldn't be a problem - or maybe I'm misreading something? I want to be a rat-bastard DM, just not a cheating rat-bastard DM, for those of us that respect the difference :).

Thanks for any guidance.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, there's a couple of problems with this. First, in 3.5 haste no longer gives you an extra partial action. More importantly, true strike only applies to the first attack roll made, even in a whirlwind attack. As a result, you can try power attack/whirlwind attack on eight people, but the true strike will only help against the first target.

the_bruiser

First Post
Piratecat said:
Well, there's a couple of problems with this. First, in 3.5 haste no longer gives you an extra partial action. More importantly, true strike only applies to the first attack roll made, even in a whirlwind attack. As a result, you can try power attack/whirlwind attack on eight people, but the true strike will only help against the first target.

Thanks. Both a quick answer, *and* my first interaction with my one-sided-old-friend piratecat after years of watching from afar. Not that I'm stalking you or anything.

Yet...

But seriously, thanks - was sure there was a problem somewhere in there.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My pleasure. Now, will you please remove the hidden webcam from my bathroom? I have to shower.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads