• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MC Fighter level 16 question

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
What do you guys think it's better for a lvl 16 warrior?
A Tough feat, thus extra 32HP?
Or Athlete feat, giving him a total of 14 DEX (from 13) and opening up the possibility for medium armor sneaking plus the other benefits?

Alternative line of thought, Alert feat.

The PC will gain one more feat at level 20.

mellored

Legend
Healer, or inspiring leader (if you have 13 Cha) would be my top picks, assuming no one else in the party has them.
Though if you have a life cleric, healer may not be needed.

Resilient Wis would be second. (followed by +1 Wis +1 Dex, if that evens your stats).

Then i'd go alert.

I would take +2 Con over toughness, but toughness last.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Healer, or inspiring leader (if you have 13 Cha) would be my top picks, assuming no one else in the party has them.
Though if you have a life cleric, healer may not be needed.

Resilient Wis would be second. (followed by +1 Wis +1 Dex, if that evens your stats).

Then i'd go alert.

I would take +2 Con over toughness, but toughness last.

I already got resilient Wis at lvl12, which gave me a Wis score of 14. My current array is:

We already have a life cleric, so we are not in a great need of healing.
Why would you go +2 Con over toughness?

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
+1 max HP
+1 HP per hit die
+1 to Con saves and checks.
vs
+2 max HP

if you spend your hit dice, you make up the difference and get the Con save bonus.
though the difference is pretty minor.

So, a (say) 16HP increase and +1 STh is in general better then 32HP increase?
I would definitely include the HD bonus if some of the classes had multiple hit dice per level, but this way i just don't see that particular bonus as that much useful.

mellored

Legend
So, a (say) 16HP increase and +1 STh is in general better then 32HP increase?
I would definitely include the HD bonus if some of the classes had multiple hit dice per level, but this way i just don't see that particular bonus as that much useful.
You get 16 HP, and an additional +16 HP when you spend hit dice.
It's a bit more of a hoop to jump though to get your HP, but it's also come with the a bonus to saves which can prevent damage in the first place.

There are situations where toughness is better, such as never getting hit with a Con save, (concentration saves are rather common for casters), and having a DM that favors 1 big battle a day and never getting to use your HD.

But again, the difference is pretty minor. Take whichever you want. Feel free to take athlete as well if that sounds fun to you.

Remove ads