McConaughey is Magnum?

Taelorn76

First Post
I would go see this. I could see each actor attached to this in their roles. I don't think it will be a spoof like Starchy & Hutch, they will be playing this straight. Well as staright as you can get in Hawaiian shirts and leave nothing to the imagination short shorts. ;)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Physically, I think McConaughey is a good fit. I've just never been that impressed with him as an actor to really know if I like the idea or not.

As far as playing the movie straight, I think a Magnum movie is a bit lighter fare in general than most of the other movies that they camp up and bastardize for the big screen (Starsky & Hutch, the Dukes of Hazzard, I Spy, etc.) Magnum, P.I. always had a comedic element to it, and heck- Magnum was constantly breaking the fourth wall with his grinning at the camera (not to mention the narration)- so I think they can pretty well play it just like the show and be all right.

(Which isn't to say that they might not do something really ridiculous with it, but I do feel they have some more leeway to do so.)

I love that show. Glad it's finally out on DVD now, and sad that I get out of work a hour too late to catch it on KDOC. :(

Whatever they do, I hope they don't run with the strangeness that came in towards the end of the show's run where they strongly alluded to Higgins being Robin Masters. It is pretty clear that- for all that early seasons liked to light-heartedly suggest it- Robin and Higgins are two entirely different people.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
Yuck Yuck I don't like McConauhey that much. I don't think he is good looking enough to be Magnum or charasmatic enough. Or funny enough.
Hey, as long as Tom Cruise is NOT in the film, it shouldn't be that bad.

Dominic Purcell could fit the role, but if he has that trademarked moustache as Tom Selleck's, he's going to look more like Pancho Villa. Si.

Only McConaughey and Josh Lucas can do the moustache. If you prefer Macy as Magnum, you might as well go with Tom Selleck and just continue the storyline from where the TV series left off.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Ranger REG said:

Dominic Purcell could fit the role, but if he has that trademarked moustache as Tom Selleck's, he's going to look more like Pancho Villa. Si.

Only McConaughey and Josh Lucas can do the moustache. If you prefer Macy as Magnum, you might as well go with Tom Selleck and just continue the storyline from where the TV series left off.

C'mon, I might actually pay to see Cruise make an ass of himself* in a big Magnum mustache.

*well, more of an ass then he makes normally.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ranger REG said:
If you prefer Macy as Magnum, you might as well go with Tom Selleck and just continue the storyline from where the TV series left off.

gee a joke really doesn't work over the net does it:(

then again Tom Selleck doing a cameo is a must!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Aaron L said:
C'mon, I might actually pay to see Cruise make an ass of himself* in a big Magnum mustache.
*scoffs*

Ha! Even when he is making an ass of himself, I couldn't stand him. Stupid entertainment news shows have to keep showing him jumping on Oprah's couch every night for the rest of the summer.

FCWesel

First Post
While it is true that "Magnum" had a nod and a wink to the audience, and that Starsky and Hutch had funny or light hearted moments, these shows had equal (actually in my mind a bit more then equal) parts drama and darkness. And Magnum had some seriously dark moments.

Any good show has some funny with some bad, because that's more representative of life.

Miami Vice the movie wasn't THAT far from the TV show in theme and darkness, with the exception of 20 years of experience behind the director/writer and the fact that they weren't looking to do a serial TV series and did not have to worry about ratings, in comparission of the TV medium.

S&H was NOTHING like the show other then the use of the names and the Torino.

As a fan who grew up watching Magnum and has the DVDs, I would be more interested in seeing a 20 years later thing with Tom Sellek. But I respect that Sellek has said that he'll have nothing to do with the film or Magnum, that it is in his past and he's onto other things in his life. That's cool. Just so long as he's doen with that three-men-and-a-wombwart crap.

Sellek's portrayl of Eisenhower a few years back was amazing.

As for Magnum, I will hope for the best and expect the absolute worst.

FCWesel

First Post
Tonguez said:
Perhaps Macy could play Magnum

Heheheh....

He's certainly a much better actor then Macconnaghey (sp) and his performance would probably be GREAT, as the man can make reading the phone book interesting.

However, he physically doesn't macth the perceptions and preconceptions that a magnum audience would have. Other then that, though, I LOVE watching Macy's work.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:

If you put a paper bag over McConaughey face then he could do Magnum.

My roommmate suggested Hugh Jackman because as she put it he can act and he is great looking and charismatic.

I am drawing a blank everyone I think of is really gotten to old, or is to young for the role. Are there no more tall dark and handsome men left in Hollywood these days?

Remove ads