• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MCDM's New Tactical TTRPG Hits $1M Crowdfunding On First Day!

Tactical TTRPG focuses on heroes fighting monsters with a combat-oriented system.

t1711elj9hc26fn0vriuji65m5mp.jpeg

Matt Colville's MCDM is no stranger to crowdfunding, with three million dollar Kickstarters already under its belt. With the launch of The MCDM RPG, that makes four!

This new game is not a D&D variant or a supplement for D&D, which is what MCDM has focussed on so far. This is an all-new game which concentrates on tactical play, with a fulfilment goal of July 2025. It comes in two books--a 400-page 'Heroes' book and a 'Monsters' book which is an adaption of the existing Flee, Mortals!

The game takes aim at traditional d20 fantasy gaming, referring to the burden of 'sacred cows from the 1970s', but point out that it's not a dungeon crawling or exploration game--its core activity is fighting monsters. The system is geared towards tactical combat--you roll 2d6, add an attribute, and do that damage; there's no separate attack roll.

At $40 for the base Heroes PDF and $70 for the hardcover (though there are discounts for both books if you buy them together), it's not a cheap buy-in, but with over 4,000 backers already that's not deterring anybody!

Even more ambitiously, one of the stretch goals is a Virtual Tabletop (VTT). There's already a working prototype of it.

Tactician.png
Kits.png

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm kind of mind boggled they'd build a VTT just for this game. I get the idea, but wow. I appreciate they say it might not happen...because it isn't easy.

Now, a character builder? That I'd want A LOT, if I end up backing this. Because I just don't want to use my brain to figure out stats and stuff (though given the rules, it might be easy to make a character).

I'm kind of mind boggled they'd build a VTT just for this game. I get the idea, but wow. I appreciate they say it might not happen...because it isn't easy.

Now, a character builder? That I'd want A LOT, if I end up backing this. Because I just don't want to use my brain to figure out stats and stuff (though given the rules, it might be easy to make a character).
A VTT is an insane proposition, especially when good VTT already exist. Character Builder, though, is a must for any game that has high amounts of crunch.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
the tactician looks a lot like a leader PDF I worked on, haven't published yet as I am going to try to time it with the release of the new rules, and coincidentally, sent to Matt one day for no reason, which I doubt he ever read....

Ever backed something on Kickstarter before? I have projects that are years overdue.
2-3 months is "margin of error" territory.
2-3 months late has me thrilled. I just received something that was 2 1/2 years overdue and have another that is a year overdue so far with a projection now of delivering in spring. Both haven't been great about communicating delays either, which is really what frustrates me personally.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I like Matt, he puts out good stuff. That said, this one won't be for me. I've yet to play a rpg system that I liked that just did roll for damage mechanics, skipping hits rolls at a minimum, and I prefer also having an active defense mechanic (parry/dodge etc). I'm sure this will go gangbusters though.

Remove ads

Remove ads