Mearls' Latest Thought on the Industry

tetsujin28

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Honestly, the PDF industry cannot touch D&D. IT has, however, truly screwed smaller publishers.
This is just preposterous.
philreed said:
There will still be some print products available, but I think most of the smaller companies will be selling direct. (I know we have been already . . . and several others do.)

Financially it just makes more sense for small publishers to release PDFs.
Exactly. Less outlay, less investment, more product selling. Good all 'round for the independent.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
d20Dwarf said:
Hey, that was my idea, thief! :) That's the last time I have lunch with you!

How the hell can I remember what we've talked about? :) But . . .

Okay, any wealthy software developer out there that wants a team can contact us. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
jgbrowning said:
....but Denizens of Avadu isn't innovative (or at least it's less innovative) because it wasn't created under a certain paradigm. Had the same exact product been created by a group of people working for free out of a sense of "community" it would qualify for Mike's definition of "innovation."

I don't see where Mike said that, and we shouldn't put words in his mouth. Let's also not conflate the qualities of one product with the behavior of the market as a whole. You can have a small number of tremendously innovative products in the market, but have the market overall lacking in innovation.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
philreed said:
I've been saying that for months now. I'll be very surprised if 4e is released under the OGL.

Its a distinct possibility that it won't be, but I always wondered what would happen if a bunch of veteran designers would get together and release "4e" under the OGL now.

Last edited:

Remove ads